nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   GTX 480- price aside, which brand would you choose? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=151630)

AntaresDC 06-02-10 11:11 AM

GTX 480- price aside, which brand would you choose?

Hi guys, I can currently choose between several different brands for the GTX480: Gigabyte, Asus, Gainward, Palit, POV ans Zotac.

They're close to each other in terms of pricing, with the Asus the most expensive... Is there any advantage choosing one brand over another?

My personal preference would go towards Gainward (heard good things about them in the past)... but on the Zotac I might be able to get a small discount.

Currently running a vanilla GTX 280 by Leadtek. Never gave me any problems.

Would any of those brands differ in terms of build quality or cooling performance or are they all coming from the same nvidia factory w/ the only difference being the stickers?

Thx!

grey_1 06-02-10 11:20 AM

Re: GTX 480- price aside, which brand would you choose?

Where are you located? No way you can get an EVGA? I recommend them for warranty and step up program.

If not - I think Zotac is the company that's rebranded Sapphire, who I understand has excellent customer service.

Performance wise I'm not sure you would see a huge difference between equally clocked cards.

saturnotaku 06-02-10 11:28 AM

Since the OP mentioned Gainward, I'm guessing he's located somewhere in the EU. If eVGA is not an option, I'd go with Zotac. My Zotac 9800 GT is working a treat as a PhysX card or, in the case of primary GPU failure, a backup.

grey_1 06-02-10 11:38 AM

Ah, didn't know Gainward was EU only.

CaptNKILL 06-02-10 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1 (Post 2262272)
Ah, didn't know Gainward was EU only.

Yeah they left the US market a few years back.

Too bad, they made some pretty awesome tweaked cards.

My brother had 3 Gainward Golden Sample cards over the years. A Geforce 2 Ti, a Geforce 4 Ti 4400 (which I still have) and a 6800GT.

nekrosoft13 06-02-10 11:52 AM

all cards are made at the same factory(right?), so just find a company with best customer service/tech support.

for me thats EVGA.

AntaresDC 06-03-10 02:24 AM

Thanks for the replies. Yep, you're right, I'm located in Europe, so even though the EVGA is listed within online stores offers, it's not available... and don't know if it will be for some time.

I don't know much about Zotac... that's why I was leaning more towards Gainward. Those two have nearly identical prices.

I've seen the Zotac GTX480 in action - a buddy of mine works for the company that also brings Zotac in our market.

Eltigre88 06-03-10 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 2262288)
for me thats EVGA.

I second that!

Fotis 06-03-10 10:23 AM

I'd say go for the one with the best warranty cause almost all GTX480 are the same minus the sticker.

AntaresDC 06-03-10 10:37 AM

OK, things are pretty much settled - can't get the Zotac for a discount, so I think Gainward it is.

EVGA are yet to be seen on our market. There is also Asus that I can buy, but it's $50 more, which provides with voltage tweaking from the start.

Maverickman 06-03-10 11:00 PM

I have a Galaxy GTX 480 and am very happy with it. I used to buy BFG and EVGA. They're both very good. They're all basically the same cards except for the stickers.

DiscipleDOC 06-04-10 09:59 AM

I'm getting an EVGA GTX 480 in a few days....