nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Another Advice post.. have some questions. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=151643)

haloeighty8 06-02-10 04:37 PM

Another Advice post.. have some questions.

Well I'm feeling that upgrade bug and was planning on picking up 2 EVGA GTX 480's for a little SLI action, I primarily game at 2560x1600.
Now my question is do you guys think my power supply can handle it? It's a little older but I've never had any issues with it, it's a PC power and cooling 1kw-sr. I don't even think it's made anymore, but I don't really want to have to buy another power supply.

Off topic a bit was either going to do that or get 1 gtx 480 and a i7-980x. Want the most bang for my buck as we all do!, so I think that might leave the cpu out! lol.. ;)

Redeemed 06-02-10 05:39 PM

Re: Another Advice post.. have some questions.

There's no such thing as "bang-for-your-buck" in the league of hardware you're targeting. :lol:

Only thing that exists there is raw power- pocket book be damned. :firedevil

mailman2 06-02-10 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haloeighty8 (Post 2262438)
Well I'm feeling that upgrade bug and was planning on picking up 2 EVGA GTX 480's for a little SLI action, I primarily game at 2560x1600.
Now my question is do you guys think my power supply can handle it? It's a little older but I've never had any issues with it, it's a PC power and cooling 1kw-sr. I don't even think it's made anymore, but I don't really want to have to buy another power supply.

Off topic a bit was either going to do that or get 1 gtx 480 and a i7-980x. Want the most bang for my buck as we all do!, so I think that might leave the cpu out! lol.. ;)

Your CPU is fine I wouldnt drop $1k on the 6 core right now, nothing will even use it and by the time games do there will be cheaper more overclockable versions available. A 1KW PC Power and Cooling should be fine. Dude, how are you are talking about Bang for your buck and GTX 480 SLI in the same post ?? - lmao.

Maverick123w 06-02-10 06:24 PM

GTX 480 in sli over the 980x for sure.

saturnotaku 06-02-10 06:39 PM

If you've already got an i7 clocked at 4 GHz, there is absolutely no reason at all to drop $1,000 on an EE CPU. Your money is better spent on the pair of GTX 480s, and your power supply should be more than enough to support them.

haloeighty8 06-02-10 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mailman2 (Post 2262492)
Your CPU is fine I wouldnt drop $1k on the 6 core right now, nothing will even use it and by the time games do there will be cheaper more overclockable versions available. A 1KW PC Power and Cooling should be fine. Dude, how are you are talking about Bang for your buck and GTX 480 SLI in the same post ?? - lmao.

haha, yeah I guess that just didn't sound right did it!