nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Strange fan problem with GTX 470... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=151712)

CaptNKILL 06-05-10 12:32 AM

Strange fan problem with GTX 470...

I've had this happen several times now, and I don't know what to make of it.

Completely randomly the fan on my GTX 470 will run full bore at what sounds like 110%. Some times it will do it for half a second, other times it will do it for 5-10 seconds. If I check the fan speed in MSI Afterburner it does NOT report this increase in fan speed, which I find totally mystifying. For example, it'll show that its still running at 70% while the fan ramps up to deafening levels and then goes back down after a few seconds.

When I manually set the fan to 100% it still isn't as loud as when it ramps up on its own, so something is clearly wrong.

I've had this happen at the windows desktop and I've had it happen in games. I have no idea what could be causing it because my temperatures are stable and there are no spikes in temperature OR fan speed being reported by MSI Afterburner.

Its extremely irritating because its just SO loud. I'm currently using the 257.15 drivers with the latest version of MSI Afterburner with a custom fan profile. I've turned off speedfan just in case it was causing some sort of conflict, and the problem still occurs. I also do not have any PWM fans in my case, so no other fans should be changing speed. I'm 99% certain that it is the GTX 470's fan that is making all the noise because it has a pretty distinct sound.

I can't find any mention of this issue anywhere online.

Rummy 06-05-10 12:52 AM

Re: Strange fan problem with GTX 470...

In your NVCP is your power settings set to adaptive or performance. I have heard of people changing that to fix the issue. You must reboot afterwards making the change.

CaptNKILL 06-05-10 12:58 AM

Its set to performance. It was doing this when it was set to adaptive as well.

Rummy 06-05-10 01:02 AM

Hmm.. strange sorry don't know what else to tell you. You could post on the EVGA forums or pm Jacob on EVGA as well.

AthlonXP1800 06-05-10 05:02 AM

Does the sound problem still occur after turned off MSI Afterburner in both desktop and gaming? Did you tried turned on EVGA Precision see if it stop sound problem?

Maverick123w 06-05-10 09:25 AM

Roll back to the 197 drivers and see what happens.

saturnotaku 06-05-10 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800 (Post 2264119)
Does the sound problem still occur after turned off MSI Afterburner in both desktop and gaming? Did you tried turned on EVGA Precision see if it stop sound problem?

That's what I was going to suggest. I use Precision and have no problems. If you want to mess with your GPU voltage, the latest version of eVGA's E-LEET tool allows you to do so. If you've not registered for eVGA's member section and do not wish to do so (because you have to be registered to download them), PM me your e-mail address, and I'll send either or both E-LEET and Precision to you.

CaptNKILL 06-05-10 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick123w (Post 2264184)
Roll back to the 197 drivers and see what happens.

I'm almost certain that it did this with the 197 drivers as well.

I'm going to try running my system without afterburner for a while.

That means I lose my 20% overclock, but... I do need to figure out this problem. ;)

CaptNKILL 06-05-10 12:44 PM

Ok, I've just been sitting here playing a flash game for about a half hour and my GPU fan just revved up for less than half a second and went back to normal, totally out of the blue. It sounded like someone revving the engine on a car really quickly.

Afterburner and speedfan weren't running and my clocks and voltages are set back to defaults.

I opened afterburner immediately after it did this and my GPU was only at 53C. There is no reason for the fan to ramp up if the temps are not increasing.

How strange. :o

agentkay 06-05-10 01:28 PM

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=320206

Does your problem sound anything remotely like that guys problem? It's really weird that you can't see those fanspeed spikes in the logging screen of Afterburner. They should show up since I believe they are refreshed every 1000 milliseconds.

Actually nevermind I might have an idea what it is happening. I've had this happen in LFS when I vsynced it, since the game is really old (card runs it in low power mode and doesn't use more than 50% of the GPU then) the fan would spike up for a second and then back off to its default speed for a minute or two and then spike up again. Now if I removed vsync (fps were limited to 100fps) it actually stayed in 3D mode and wasn't switching and applied fanspeed in a more linear fashion.

But I see you already tried performance mode and other things, I was just wondering since some flashgames can actually get accelerated by the GPU, same like some Media Players (especially movie or video clips) can get accelerated and increase the temp of the GPU by 2-4C.

CaptNKILL 06-05-10 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentkay (Post 2264274)
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=320206

Does your problem sound anything remotely like that guys problem? It's really weird that you can't see those fanspeed spikes in the logging screen of Afterburner. They should show up since I believe they are refreshed every 1000 milliseconds.

Actually nevermind I might have an idea what it is happening. I've had this happen in LFS when I vsynced it, since the game is really old (card runs it in low power mode and doesn't use more than 50% of the GPU then) the fan would spike up for a second and then back off to its default speed for a minute or two and then spike up again. Now if I removed vsync (fps were limited to 100fps) it actually stayed in 3D mode and wasn't switching and applied fanspeed in a more linear fashion.

But I see you already tried performance mode and other things, I was just wondering since some flashgames can actually get accelerated by the GPU, same like some Media Players (especially movie or video clips) can get accelerated and increase the temp of the GPU by 2-4C.

But fan speed is tied to GPU temperature, not GPU load, so unless the reported temperature suddenly spikes by 70C in less than a second, the fan speed shouldn't go from 40% to 100%, and it definitely wouldn't cool down fast enough to return to normal in less than half a second. If the temperature increases by 2, 3 or even 10C it shouldn't make the fan ramp up to 100%.

As for the post at guru3D, it sounds like it could be related to what I'm experiences, though there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it on my system. It doesn't matter what I do or what the GPU utilization, temperatures or fan speeds are reporting. It will just run at (what sounds like) 110% fan speed and then go back to normal without warning.

bacon12 06-05-10 04:19 PM

Sounds like a bug either in afterburner or the cards bios.