nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   GFW LIVE, for the win? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=151810)

nekrosoft13 06-08-10 02:32 PM

GFW LIVE, for the win?

catchy title? :headexplode:

I had some fun experience with GFW LIVE two days ago. Basically I wanted to play Flatout Ultimate Carnage on my laptop, and continue my progress.

So what I did was install GFW LIVE the new 3.3 version, moved the Flatout save file, and installed the game. When I started the game it asked me to login, so same account login was used.

And was greated with no save progress, was trying to force me start from start. First I thought maybe I missed some save file, and looked around the computer but there were no extra files.

Remmember that main PC is pretty much flawless and last time I installed OS from scratch was Vista, then just upgrade and everything runs like a dream, my point by saying that is that I never had to reinstall GFW Live before.

Anyway, then I realized that most GFW Live games, not only do they need same account name, but they also need same initial account login info. Basically first time you sign in, it creates bunch of tiny files (cache) in the xlive folder, then the save games somehow get tied those cache files, so if you reinstall and use the same account as before, but those initial cache files are gone(and new different files are created), your save games won't work.

Whoever designed that aspect of GFW Live was a complete brain dead moron.

mailman2 06-08-10 02:44 PM

Re: GFW LIVE, for the win?

yup. Had to start Red Faction Guerrilla over because of that. Other games like Dirt2 you just need to backup the save game folder. GFWL is not very gamer friendly.

Logical 06-08-10 02:50 PM

I think it just needs to have a little more attention from Microsoft. In saying that, PC gamers dont have to pay for GFWL like consoler's pay for XBL.

I haven't experienced the problem Necro points out but i can say DIRT 2, SF4 and Batman AA are fine when i export/import the save files after OS reinstallation.

I would like to be able to mess with my avatar from my PC rather than have to use a friends Xbox to personalise it.

DiscipleDOC 06-08-10 02:54 PM

Nekro, I pretty much did the same thing with SF4 on my laptop. :thumbsup:

Destroy 06-08-10 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 2266187)

I had some fun experience with GFW LIVE two days ago. Basically I wanted to play Flatout Ultimate Carnage on my laptop, and continue my progress.

So what I did was install GFW LIVE the new 3.3 version, moved the Flatout save file, and installed the game. When I started the game it asked me to login, so same account login was used.

And was greated with no save progress, was trying to force me start from start. First I thought maybe I missed some save file, and looked around the computer but there were no extra files.

Remmember that main PC is pretty much flawless and last time I installed OS from scratch was Vista, then just upgrade and everything runs like a dream, my point by saying that is that I never had to reinstall GFW Live before.

Anyway, then I realized that most GFW Live games, not only do they need same account name, but they also need same initial account login info. Basically first time you sign in, it creates bunch of tiny files (cache) in the xlive folder, then the save games somehow get tied those cache files, so if you reinstall and use the same account as before, but those initial cache files are gone(and new different files are created), your save games won't work.

So after you copied over the cache files, I assume you got your saves to work?

NarcissistZero 06-08-10 03:37 PM

They do this to protect the sanctity of their stupid achievements.

ViN86 06-08-10 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 2266187)

They do the same thing on XBL and PSN to prevent people from using other people's saved games to get achievements/trophies. :lol:

bacon12 06-08-10 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NarcissistZero (Post 2266236)

Also to just fsck with pirates. Batman AA was a prime example how they did that, the crack would work but the game saves didn't. People were crying all over for you to upload your game saves so they could use them.

A2597 06-08-10 04:01 PM

I'm about this* close to just boycotting GFWL games...local saves are a good thing.

*holds fingers so close together they might actually be touching

crainger 06-08-10 04:08 PM

::(: Sorry for your loss nekro. I usually don't care about my saves too much. I complete games and rarely go back and play them after. Only one a really care about is Batman AA because I'm so close to 100% completion. Perhaps cloud saves are a solution, that way you don't need to back them up, they are always there. Of course, MS would make us pay for that.

I was upset when I lost my saves on my PS3 though. ::(: Least you can copy them out and back in on the same profile no fuss. MS is the only one that likes to stop saves being copied at all. (Dead or Alive wouldn't even allow you to copy to an official memory card) ::(:

NarcissistZero 06-08-10 04:16 PM

I don't care about long-term game saves being protected, as if I replay a game I just start over anyway.

If my first game session goes through a reinstall though, this would annoy me.

nekrosoft13 06-08-10 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NarcissistZero (Post 2266236)

ok fine, so login in with same account is not enough?