nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Fallout Vegas is Steamworks (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=151824)

|MaguS| 06-08-10 08:59 PM

Fallout Vegas is Steamworks
 
HA Velvet!

http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/06/...se-steamworks/

Quote:

As confirmed by a Bethesda Softworks rep in a fan Q&A posted on the Fallout message boards, Fallout New Vegas in its PC incarnation will use Valve's Steamworks tools when its released. That will likely include using Steam to auto-update the game as well as providing for any future downloadable content packs

NarcissistZero 06-08-10 09:00 PM

Re: Fallout Vegas is Steamworks
 
God dammit.

Why do you say HA? Why is more DRM a good thing? I don't get it. It's not even multiplayer.

|MaguS| 06-08-10 09:05 PM

Re: Fallout Vegas is Steamworks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NarcissistZero (Post 2266438)
God dammit.

Why do you say HA? Why is more DRM a good thing? I don't get it. It's not even multiplayer.

Because steam is awesome! I will probably play it off steam anyway (like I do with Oblivion and Fallout 3).

EDIT: And with Steamworks I don't have to deal with the BS GFWL DLC crap again.

NarcissistZero 06-08-10 09:18 PM

Re: Fallout Vegas is Steamworks
 
You didn't have to with FO3 either, the DLC was DRM-free as well.

The long and short of it is we went from DRM-free to online authentication and account-based DRM. I don't care if you like it, that sucks and is a bad sign for the future of PC DRM.

Mr. Hunt 06-08-10 10:41 PM

Re: Fallout Vegas is Steamworks
 
Yay... but isn't Obsidian involved in this game? Uhh... very scared of that.

Destroy 06-08-10 10:48 PM

Re: Fallout Vegas is Steamworks
 
Hmmm....wonder how this will affect the mod community?

NarcissistZero 06-08-10 10:57 PM

Re: Fallout Vegas is Steamworks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Destroy (Post 2266498)
Hmmm....wonder how this will affect the mod community?

Not at all I would guess, the mods and mod tools work fine with Fallout 3 on Steam. The official FAQ says New Vegas will have the same mod tools too.

I was kind of hoping this would work like Rogue Warrior, where you could have an offline install without the Steamworks features, but the official New Vegas FAQ now says Steam activation will be mandatory.

Destroy 06-08-10 11:14 PM

Re: Fallout Vegas is Steamworks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NarcissistZero (Post 2266502)
Not at all I would guess, the mods and mod tools work fine with Fallout 3 on Steam. The official FAQ says New Vegas will have the same mod tools too.

I was kind of hoping this would work like Rogue Warrior, where you could have an offline install without the Steamworks features, but the official New Vegas FAQ now says Steam activation will be mandatory.

Well that's good to know. I could not tolerate playing FO3 if I didn't have my PC adjusted menus/inventory/HUD/FOV/high res textures/etc..

autobot 06-09-10 01:56 AM

Re: Fallout Vegas is Steamworks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS| (Post 2266441)
....and with Steamworks I don't have to deal with the BS GFWL DLC crap again.

Nope, you just have to deal with the random Steam connection issues. Or shall I say, the inability to log onto Steam because their servers are too busy. I run into this about once every 3 or 4 days.

|MaguS| 06-09-10 03:33 AM

Re: Fallout Vegas is Steamworks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by autobot (Post 2266579)
Nope, you just have to deal with the random Steam connection issues. Or shall I say, the inability to log onto Steam because their servers are too busy. I run into this about once every 3 or 4 days.

Get a better connection.

crainger 06-09-10 05:49 AM

Re: Fallout Vegas is Steamworks
 
I have a rock solid connection. Problem is when the Steam server get really really busy, I can't play. FU STEam!

Granted this only happened once, a few days back, when Slinter Cell was 50% off AND Alpha Protocol launched. ::bleh::

NarcissistZero 06-09-10 05:53 AM

Re: Fallout Vegas is Steamworks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by crainger (Post 2266642)
I have a rock solid connection. Problem is when the Steam server get really really busy, I can't play. FU STEam!

Granted this only happened once, a few days back, when Slinter Cell was 50% off AND Alpha Protocol launched. ::bleh::

It's happened to me a few times... not common, but it happens. Steam as a program ain't bad, sometimes I leave it on simply as a chat program for days at a time.

My issues with Steamworks are much more rooted in principle over how we purchase and own software than anything with the program itself. I just don't like asking a company for permission to use something I bought... imagine if a DVD made you do that, or even a console game. It's coming to these other mediums, more popular mediums than PC games, and I look forward to finally seeing a revolt when it does.

Or not :(


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.