nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   [Kitguru] - GTX485 Launch: Less hot and noisy in the sack? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=151916)

Enrico_be 06-11-10 12:40 PM

[Kitguru] - GTX485 Launch: Less hot and noisy in the sack?

http://www.kitguru.net/components/gr...y-in-the-sack/

Quote:

KitGuru has heard that nVidia’s been through the first iteration of the GTX480 with a fine tooth comb, to create a GTX485 product that can run at least 20MHz more on the core clock, with improved cooling and performance. It’s also worked through some neat driver improvements that will also help. Nice.

How has this improvement been made possible and why has it taken so long?

Bill Dally is a smart cookie. One that spent 10 years at MIT creating massive, experimental, parallel processing systems. He’s used to increasing the smoothness of a machine’s operation by reducing the effort needed to synchronize disparate components. Useful, now that he has Fermi to tame.

Bill Dally: Proud father ready to kill off GTX480 with a cooler/quieter/faster Fermi?

So what is the GeForce GTX 485?

Simply put, it’s what Fermi should have been at launch.

A little quicker. A little cooler. A little easier to make.

With the earlier price move announced exclusively by KitGuru, we’re now expecting the GTX485 to come in around $20 higher into distribution than the launch price of the GTX480. It will also overclock easier, because more of the pesky electrons will be going where they are supposed to go. Nice.

Will GTX 485 offer bigger holes for your enjoyment?

KitGuru says: Interesting move by nVidia. VERY unusual for the company with the single fastest chip to beat their own product within a few weeks of launching. We guess that Northern Islands (the revamped Radeon 5000 chip) must be very close to launching and nVidia wants to push every soldier it has into battle now. Good news for nVidia fanbois who have been holding off on GTX480 because they were not sure about all that heat and noise. What does that mean to the street pricing? We expect the £395 GTX480 to come down to £375 and the GTX 485 will launch at £419.

bacon12 06-11-10 12:43 PM

Re: [Kitguru] - GTX485 Launch: Less hot and noisy in the sack?

May be worth a look, I told myself I was gonna skip this gen.

Bman212121 06-11-10 12:59 PM

I highly doubt this news is accurate. If they can only get a 20mhz gain it would make more sense to just keep the current GTX 480 and make it a revision so they can get better yields. It's quite unlikely they will be able to simply turn on the other SPs, so it still won't be what "Fermi should have been at launch".

If they can improve the card that's great, but I think Nvidia would much rather do it silently otherwise they'll have a big pile of GTX 480s they wouldn't be able to sell.

nekrosoft13 06-11-10 01:03 PM

20mhz gain from what? the 700mhz stock? or the average overlock of 800mhz most users can reach with no problem.

mailman2 06-11-10 03:38 PM

I really don't think this site has any idea what the hell they are saying. They were talking about a 1Ghz GTX 480 the other day. The power draw on that would be so outrageous I don't think they'd even be able to sell it. Now this, GTX 485 because they've refined the production??? I really doubt it.

imo that whole website is full of crap.

Also they state its what Fermi should've been, Fermi shouldve been 512 CUDA cores, not 480.

Logical 06-11-10 07:29 PM

Hmmm taking this with a pinch of slat. It is inevitable that there will be a GTX485 but i think a fall release would be more realistic.

Holding onto my GTX285 till then.

:)

Viral 06-11-10 08:55 PM

I would've thought a GTX485 would be a 512 shader part. If not then it would certainly be pretty useless.

lee63 06-11-10 11:19 PM

I might look into one of these if its 512....I'm done with SLi and Xfire.

Enrico_be 06-12-10 01:18 AM

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...29&postcount=7

It's probably a hoax :thumbdwn:

lee63 06-12-10 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slaWter (Post 2268794)
While Crossfire sucks, SLI is in it's prime, isn't it?
It works great and came a long way.

SLi is great but not needed IMO.

Yaboze 06-12-10 12:37 PM

I'm waiting. I'm waiting.

:D

methimpikehoses 06-12-10 04:23 PM

Looking forward to hearing more details about this one. I think I'll hold out for it.