nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Error on nvidia module insertion (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=152179)

SaikiEva 06-19-10 01:41 PM

Error on nvidia module insertion

I don't seem to be able to insert the nvidia module into the kernel. If I try to boot using the nvidia driver, it freezes on "Starting atd", which is precisely the last step before X is started.

I am using 64 bit Fedora 13 with kernel 2.6.33.5-124, GPU is a GeForce 9400 GT. I installed the driver with the -k $(uname -r) option, which seemed to be necessary.

modprobe nvidia produces the following output:

Code:

FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.33.5-124.fc13.x86_64/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko): No such device
The output of dmesg is the following:

Code:

nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
NVRM: The NVIDIA probe routine was not called for 1 device(s).
NVRM: This can occur when a driver such as nouveau, rivafb,
NVRM: nvidiafb, or rivatv was loaded and obtained ownership of
NVRM: the NVIDIA device(s).
NVRM: Try unloading the conflicting kernel module (and/or
NVRM: reconfigure your kernel without the conflicting
NVRM: driver(s)), then try loading the NVIDIA kernel module
NVRM: again.
NVRM: No NVIDIA graphics adapter probed!

The first two lines are interesting, though I can't really make sense of that.

I tried doing what the rest of it said, blacklisted nouveau, even uninstalled it, but all I got is a severely screwed up system. Booted into runlevel 3 and attempted to manually insert nvidia module, but modprobe gave me the same line.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Arup 06-19-10 02:11 PM

Re: Error on nvidia module insertion

You need to edit grub to blacklist nouveau.

The command is

Code:

su -sed -i '/root=/s|$| rdblacklist=nouveau|' /boot/grub/grub.confmv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname  -r)-nouveau.imgdracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

SaikiEva 06-19-10 04:02 PM

That worked great, though I didn't need to rebuild the initramfs image. I just appended "rdblacklist=nouveau" to my kernel parameters in /boot/grub/menu.lst.

It seems nouveau is loaded early at boot time and prevents the nvidia driver from being used by the X server later on.

Now that that is fixed, no driver is loaded at boot time: I have no fancy fedora startup splash screen. Is there any way to make the kernel load the nvidia driver when booting, or does that require me to recompile the kernel?

By the way, when I get a newer kernel, can I simply compile the driver against that kernel and install it or do I have to uninstall the old one first? When I get an updated driver, can I just install it over the old one as well?

In any way, thanks!

adamk75 06-19-10 07:08 PM

Even if you load the nvidia driver when booting, you still won't get the fedora splash screen. You need a framebuffer console for that screen, and 'nvidia' does not provide one.

Adam

Arup 06-20-10 09:15 AM

No fancy plymouth screen on Ubuntu or Fedora with nvidia driver, but since both distros boot so fast now, its really not needed.

If you have installed the nvidia driver manually, you would have to rebuild it every time there is a kernel update, if you used akmod, then you don't need to.

MacSvensson 07-06-10 05:58 AM

I've been facing exactly the same problem since upgrading from FC12 to 13.
Thank you for these suggestions !!! I will try blacklisting nouveau as soon as I return home.

One would think that uninstalling nouveau would remove every trace of it from the system and blacklisting it in grub wouldn't be necessary.
Seems nouveau isn't ready for the end-user experience yet. I also didn't get nouveau's gallium3d hw acceleration and got stuck with mesa software rasterizing.
That's why I wanted to revert to nvidia's proprietary drivers from rpmfusion, only to find my system halting at 'atd'

If this turns out to solve my issue, you have my eternal gratitude :-)

adamk75 07-06-10 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacSvensson (Post 2283325)
One would think that uninstalling nouveau would remove every trace of it from the system and blacklisting it in grub wouldn't be necessary.

Why would one think that? The nouveau DRM is part of the linux kernel, not a separate package like the nouveau Xorg driver. It's no different than any other kernel module, in that case. For example, you can remove all the alsa packages, but the kernel modules would still exist.

Adam