nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Enabling blur in kwin slows down the desktop effects (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=152201)

nece228 06-20-10 01:02 PM

Enabling blur in kwin slows down the desktop effects

hi,
we know that kde 4.5 will use blur again. So when i enable blur, the window movement becomes choppy, animations become laggier. Kwin developer said that its because GLSL usage, and its nvidia's driver foult. Any plans to fix this issue?

gqman69 08-10-10 10:30 PM

Re: Enabling blur in kwin slows down the desktop effects

Ya what's up with this?

Using Compiz blur seems to work just fine!?!?!

drhirsch 08-11-10 02:59 AM

It's slow for me too.

But I don't really buy that this is only nvidias fault.

There is an problem with the blur effect on ATI cards too http://osdir.com/ml/kwin/2010-06/msg00016.html and compiz blur works without big performance hits.

I read it as "its because of wrong GLSL usage"

Keep in mind, the blur effect was so bugged, that is was removed until kde 4.5.

nece228 08-11-10 07:15 AM

Well the blur effect doesnt slow down effects in other nvidia cards. I can confirm that the slowdown is on geforce 9500gt, because i tried two different pcs with different distro. You dont see slowdown with compiz because it uses opengl 1.4, while kwin uses opengl 3, and it looks like nvidia doesnt support opengl 3 blur very well. According to Martin Graesslin this is 100% nvidia binary driver foult. So please developers fix that.

drhirsch 08-11-10 02:32 PM

Quote:

Well the blur effect doesnt slow down effects in other nvidia cards
I have a 8800GT and a slowdown/high cpu usage with blur.

Linuxhippy 08-11-10 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nece228 (Post 2300643)
You dont see slowdown with compiz because it uses opengl 1.4, while kwin uses opengl 3, and it looks like nvidia doesnt support opengl 3 blur very well.

OpenGL3 blur? Where did you grab this one? ;)

- Clemens

nece228 08-12-10 01:41 PM

ok ok sorry, thats my bad grammar. i meant that slowdown doesnt happen on all nvidia video cards, for some it works fine, for some it doesnt. and opengl 3 blur, well, its my grammar again. i just meant the whole opengl 3 technology.

Arup 08-14-10 12:33 PM

With a 8400GS it doesn't slow down but it definitely spikes up xorg cpu usage, one of my 8 cores in the dual xeon would regularly hit 34%+ till I turned off blur.

Ralph 08-14-10 03:30 PM

GeForce 8400GS - CPU AMD64 AthlonX2.

KDE 4.5 - display FPS enabled in desktop effects.

Blur enabled: 30 FPS.
Blur disabled: 70 FPS.

I do not think the problem is related to nVidia drivers; the real problem is that whoever created the blur effect seems not a programming genius ...

nece228 08-14-10 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph (Post 2302139)
GeForce 8400GS - CPU AMD64 AthlonX2.

KDE 4.5 - display FPS enabled in desktop effects.

Blur enabled: 30 FPS.
Blur disabled: 70 FPS.

I do not think the problem is related to nVidia drivers; the real problem is that whoever created the blur effect seems not a programming genius ...

Personally i would trust a developer more than some nVidia lover or should I say "fanboy". The fact is that nvidia binary driver is far from perfection when you compare it with windows driver, so blaming nvidia driver for that is logical step i believe.

brucecadieux 08-14-10 07:03 PM

So are we to assume every time there is a bug in KDE kwin we should blame it on nvidia?

I mean seriously do you realize how ridiculous that sounds :captnkill:

Have been using KDE for a lot of years now and have seen some pretty funky behavior with a variety of different video cards and drivers over the years.

Far fewer with nvidia drivers then lets say ummm Intel, ATI, VIA CHROME, Matrox..............

That said, I have the blur effect disabled on all my macines two with nvidia, one with Intel, and one with ATI.

Blur effect is a resource pig.

hl_ 08-14-10 10:59 PM

I've seen KDE/Qt devs point fingers more than enough (not only to NVidia).
They're not wrong, ever. Everyone else this. If something is done in accordance with a specification, it Must Work, and it is irrelevant if all major implementations actually don't support it well.
OK, I exaggerated a bit, but you get the point. I hate this kind of ignorance.