nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Trials and Tribulations installing on Kubuntu (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=152539)

Doominite 06-29-10 10:58 PM

Trials and Tribulations installing on Kubuntu

GeForce GTX 260
I wrote this post mainly for those with problems installing driver 256.35 on Lucid Lynx. Specifically with the “Unable to load kernel module 'nvidia.ko'” error during install. The fix that worked for me was here http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-inst...ucid-lynx.html. The main part of it that helped me was about adding the following lines to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf: (I used sudo pico to edit with)
blacklist vga16fb
blacklist nouveau
blacklist rivafb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivatv

Experience
I went from Jaunty to Karmic using the distro's drivers and never had any problems with them. I was suspicious that they were a reason why a game wasn't running but it turned out not to be the case. For that reason I had installed the drivers from the Nvidia site. At the time I did not uninstall my previous drivers. The install did find them though and said it would try to remove them. The install went flawlessly and everything was fine. After an upgrade to lucid, I had some problems getting the drivers to work but I fixed it by installing some new drivers. Then about a month ago, I was unable to log in. My log files said something about one of the video drivers file being in an older version. My guess was that a bug fix for the distro's drivers was installed that replaced the custom installed drivers file. So again I installed the current version and it fixed my issue. Then just a couple days ago, one of my games stopped working. After some troubleshooting, I found that all my OpenGL applications were not working. In the NVIDIA X Server Settings program, under OpenGL/GLX Information, the top box was completely empty(by empty, I mean completely white/blank). Guessing again that this was caused by Kubuntu updates, I decided again to get the latest drivers, but I didn't want to get stuck in console again with problems so I tried to be sure I installed everything correctly.

Up to this point, I had no problems installing the drivers.
I read the install sticky on this forum, the instructions in the readme, and followed some tips from some other posts I found from searching. I checked my version requirements, then uninstalled xserver-xorg-video-nv and -nouveau packages along with some other packages I found with an nvidia search in KPackageKit. Under Kickoff>Applications>System>Hardware Drivers, my distro no longer showed any NVIDA drivers installed. I checked the locations from the sticky(nvidia-glx, restricteds) and found nothing. I logged out, clicked the shutdown button at the login screen, and chose to go into terminal. As a precaution I did sudo service kdm stop. I then ran the installation (sudo sh NVID...run). I was hit with the nvidia.ko error first. Since I had unistalled the drivers, I used my cell phone to search the net and found a post on this form that said to use -k $(uname -r) at the end of the install line. Using that, I got error “...libglx.so is not a symbolic link”, then a bunch of files that the install detected but didn't exist. Most were version 195.36.24, and one for 185.something, even though the last driver I installed was 195.36.31. Install completed successfully after that. Then when I did startx, it pretty much said nvidia.ko could not be loaded. I ran the install again with -k $(uname -r) and it asked me if I wanted to install over 256.35 so I did yes. I got absolutely no errors with that install and in the end, startx gave me the same error. I tried again without the extra arguments and got the same nvidia.ko error during the install. I tried installing the nvidia-current-modaliases package thinking that might help(should I remove that or just leave it be?). After a lot more Google searching I found the info I posted above. Install worked fine, games worked fine, GLX info showed up in the settings again.

So uninstalling NVIDIA and open source packages doesn't stop the modules from loading, or I just didn't find all of the packages that needed to be removed. It would probably be better just to use the blacklist.conf file instead of removing the packages, except for any nvidia-glx packages, though the installer would probably take care of them. I may have to run the installer every now and then for kubuntu bugfix/updates(if they are the cause of diver failures), but I think I got rid of the old drivers. Or, I could just switch back to the distro's drivers. I like that Nvidia continues to support Linux and I like having the latest drivers despite the headaches.