nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Onlive - Anyone try it? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=152631)

nrdstrm 07-03-10 12:48 AM

Onlive - Anyone try it?

It's actually not bad. I have only played with it about a half hour or so. TBH, I was shocked at how responsive it was. I have only tried Fear 2 (Demo), but it looked pretty clean. I did notice quite a bit of aliasing (even though it is supposed to be anti-aliased 720P.) There was minor stutter when it saves the game (automatically), but since I have not played Fear 2 before, I'm not sure if this is indicative of the game itself.

I would have been more than happy with the 720P that was provided had I not won a 27" 1080p monitor at E3 (I was using dual 19" viewsonics at 1440x900), so Onlive plays in a (pretty large) window...

There are not many games at this time (I would guess I saw around 10). Hopefully that will be remedied with time.

As to bandwidth, I really can't say what other's experiences will be like, since I am on a 35/35 Fios Connection, but it was really smooth. I can't believe how responsive the controls where. Very fluid using Mouse/Keyboard. I am going to try out Baseball or Basketball with a controller and will edit my post to discuss how this worked out...

To be clear, the only reason I tried it out is because I was sent an email that gave me a year of free service (you still have to buy/rent games, but demos are free). They are calling it...wait for it...it's really forward thinking..."Founding Members Program". I think it is open to all until July 15th, but you have to apply, then wait for an email saying your in...

Bottom line is, I wouldn't really recommend it to hardcore gamers here. Gamers not as hardcore (such as myself), will probably like it (especially during the free year) for trying out demos without having to download anything...

If you tried it, please post your experiences....

Ambrose 07-03-10 01:28 AM

Re: Onlive - Anyone try it?

I'm a founding member too. At its best, my connection gets 15+ Mbps down/1 Mbps up. Onlive says you need a minimum connection speed of 5 Mbps down, but the real caveat is to make sure you can get decent pings as well. Taking the test at speedtest.net and letting it choose an optimal server, the best result I've gotten is a ping around 35. Apparently this is too high, as the onlive app tells me at startup that it's detected a "high latency" connection and that there might be issues... and it's not lying, games run like ***.

I tried Assassin's Creed 2 and Fear 2, and both were thoroughly unplayable. The image looked OK but the delay was way too prevalent for those types of games. I suppose an RPG type game might be playable for me, but probably wouldn't be as enjoyable.

I really wish I lived in a bigger city where faster internet was available :(

nrdstrm 07-03-10 01:36 AM

Ahh...maybe that is the reason I had such an enjoyable experience (thus far). I just did a speedtest.net test and my ping is 6. Though to me, I don't consider 35 to be very high...

@ Ambrose, where are you located? Just curious, I am just outside of Los Angeles (45 mins)....

**EDIT** Just found out via the Onlive forums that their servers are :

San Fransico, CA
Atlanta, GA
Dallas, TX
Washington, DC
Chicago, IL

So my speedtest to SF resulted in 17ms...See below...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/867440198.png

Mr. Hunt 07-03-10 01:44 AM

Don't have anything to add, but I think the stutter on saving in FEAR 2 is a part of the game, IIRC.

t3hl33td4rg0n 07-03-10 01:59 AM

Shame where I work we all use thin clients and playing flash is laggy as it is.

Ambrose 07-03-10 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrdstrm (Post 2282232)
Ahh...maybe that is the reason I had such an enjoyable experience (thus far). I just did a speedtest.net test and my ping is 6. Though to me, I don't consider 35 to be very high...

@ Ambrose, where are you located? Just curious, I am just outside of Los Angeles (45 mins)....

**EDIT** Just found out via the Onlive forums that their servers are :

San Fransico, CA
Atlanta, GA
Dallas, TX
Washington, DC
Chicago, IL

So my speedtest to SF resulted in 17ms...See below...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/867440198.png

Billings, MT. So I think the closest server to me is actually the San Fran one (eyeballing it on google maps). I'm surprised they don't have one up in Seattle, though that wouldn't be that much closer.

Sazar 07-03-10 02:14 AM

Yes, I tried it over at my buddies place.

He used his freebie to buy Borderlands.

His lag though was ridiculous. I am expecting it to improve but its basically like my playing on a server with 500 ping.

There is promise to the concept and I actually hope they do well as time passes.

NarcissistZero 07-03-10 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt (Post 2282233)
Don't have anything to add, but I think the stutter on saving in FEAR 2 is a part of the game, IIRC.

Yes.

Though I thought it was fixed in a patch... maybe I was mistaken.

JasonPC 07-03-10 02:23 AM

How do you tell which server it's connecting to? I believe they have servers in Dallas and Atlanta but typically my connection sees a better ping to servers in Dallas. It wasn't unplayable for me but there was a noticeable input lag that made it a bit weird to play. It seems like an interesting service that must have cost a ton of money to get running but I'm afraid it may come short of the target. I guess if you are within 300 miles of the server or so there may be less noticeable lag. But still I have my doubts that technology is really there to make this work as good as it needs to (to be worth all that money it's going to cost)

wysiwyg 10-04-10 06:24 PM

i saw they have scrapped subscriptions now so wondered what it would be like playing from England.

i have to say its quite impressive. you can tell the image is streamed and it looks like slightly compressed video but if you havent got the hardware to play a modern game then this is a brilliant service. the controls seemed to have zero lag and the audio was good too, and its also a great way to try a game before you might want to buy one as nothing to download!

promising start!

mojoman0 10-04-10 07:37 PM

Yea prolly good for laptop gamers especially or if you've fallen off the bandwagon and need the fix of pc gaming. I'll end up trying it eventually once I return to a quick net connection. I'm sure the service and performance will increase over time as well

wysiwyg 10-05-10 04:54 AM

i have a domestic 50mb fiber connection with virgin media

one of the fastest for homes in the uk, but im going to downgrade to 20 as 50 is costing me too much