nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Absurd shadow/gradient graphical issue with 256 driver on GeForce 9800M GTS (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=152751)

fuzzypickles 07-07-10 11:59 AM

Absurd shadow/gradient graphical issue with 256 driver on GeForce 9800M GTS

2 Attachment(s)
A month ago, I tried upgrading to the 265 beta version of the nVidia driver. After a lot of fuss, I got it to install, but was extremely annoyed by some weird graphical issues that appeared in GTK widgets with the theme Shiki-colors and in the shadows of the gnome-do window (and possibly elsewhere, too!). However, I figured this was an issue with poorly installed drivers and a poorly managed system.

Recently though, I've reinstalled everything, and I've installed the newest, current nVidia driver (256 series), and lo and behold I find the same graphical issues! I've tried searching the forums and the internet, but I can't seem to find any information on the issue. Basically, the issue seems to be that what should be a soft, box-shaped gradient is instead an collection of linear and solid-filled regions. This was not an issue with the 196 series, and I don't think it was an issue with the first 256-series beta driver I tried (a while ago).

To produce bug: View a button or similar gtk+ widget themed in shiki-colors style, or call up gnome-do window. There are no cases of everything looking "right" before they get messed up.

I have a Sager / Clevo laptop of some sort, with a GeForce 9800M GTS graphics card. I'm currently running Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick, but I had the same issue when I tried it before on 10.04 Lucid.

I've attached a screenshot demoing the problem with both gnome-do and gtk widgets, and the log..

UPDATE: The little circular loading indicators in Chrome are now simply flickering squares due to what I believe may be the same issue.

fuzzypickles 07-26-10 10:30 PM

Re: Absurd shadow/gradient graphical issue with 256 driver on GeForce 9800M GTS

I don't really know what the bumping etiquette is, but as I haven't seen any other posts on the same issue, I figure it's worth a shot.

The Chrome issue has since resolved itself, so that was probably a Chrome issue. The gnome-do issue still persists, however, and gnome-do with the default theme is sluggish as anything.

jackocnr 07-27-10 11:50 AM

I have the same issue on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid. Gnome-do looks ridiculous, and is totally unusable due to the lag.

Annoyingly I cant really revert to the 195.36 driver, because I got an issue with black flickering covering the screen at seemingly random intervals!

Plagman 07-27-10 03:10 PM

I can't reproduce the corruption problems you're having with the shadows of the gnome-do window. What composite manager are you running?

jackocnr 07-28-10 03:15 AM

Compiz.

Also I forgot to say, my graphics card is an nVidia Quadro FX 570.

fuzzypickles 07-28-10 09:13 AM

It seems to happen on both Compiz and the newest versions of Kwin, at the least