nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Fedora 13, Xorg 1.8, 9800GT - full-screen video playback causes kernel crash (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=152889)

lucasj 07-11-10 03:05 PM

Fedora 13, Xorg 1.8, 9800GT - full-screen video playback causes kernel crash

4 Attachment(s)
Hello nV News. I've had system instability problems with my Nvidia 9800 GT and every driver version I could manage to find (256.35, 195.xx, RPMFusion's godawful kmod package, etc.) that seem to be related to full-screen video playback.

When using MythTV / mplayer / etc. to play back any sort of full-screen video, occasionally the display will flash, usually the keyboard lights will lock up, and the system will become unresponsive. Although vterms (ctrl + alt + f2) cannot be accessed, sometimes I can ssh into the machine and check to see what happened for about five or ten minutes before the system completely crashes (kernel panic? hard lock? no idea) and must be rebooted manually.

This happens sporadically. Sometimes the crash happens within the first two seconds of playback, sometimes it can take up to ten minutes, sometimes it can take hours to happen. Sometimes it will happen whether or not VDPAU is used at all.

Kernel: 2.6.33.6-147.fc13.x86_64 (most recent Fedora 13 kernel)
Card: PNY Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT
Driver: 256.35 (the open-source nouveau driver was forcibly removed)
Attempts to solve the problem: pci=nommconf, idle=poll, maxcpus=1, clocksource=hpet, disabling XVMC / VDPAU playback in MythTV, using -vc ffmpeg12 as opposed to -vc ffmpeg12vdpau, Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboard BIOS is up-to-date

Attached are two bug reports generated by the shell script provided by the driver, with different kernel options. Also attached are two VDPAU trace logs from using mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffmpeg12vdpau for the same MythTV video recording in two different points in the movie. These logs are for four different crashes. I'll cut the first 20 MB of the video, 2455_20100614000000.mpg and upload it shortly.

I haven't heard anything about this sort of crash yet. Is this related to Xorg 1.8? (I'm also seeing occasional graphics glitches in terminal windows, emacs and such which probably have to do with Xorg 1.8.) Would it help if I were to buy a more recent card?

- Lucas

(Edit: should also mention that the card / hardware-accelerated full screen video playback works fine in Windows, so it's probably not defective.)

mooninite 07-11-10 10:24 PM

Re: Fedora 13, Xorg 1.8, 9800GT - full-screen video playback causes kernel crash

F13 x86_64 (256.35) - I run 3 different 9-series cards with no problems with video or 3D. 9500 GT, 9650M GT, and 9800 GTX+

All systems are multi-core, have MSI enabled, Compiz enabled, and I sometimes use VDPAU.

Stephen Warren 07-14-10 12:13 PM

Re: Fedora 13, Xorg 1.8, 9800GT - full-screen video playback causes kernel crash

Given your problem happens for VDPAU video, non-VDPAU video, and general terminal usage, I'd like to say this is a HW issue. However, you say that everything works OK in Windows. That said, the Windows and Linux drivers may exercise the GPU in different ways. Is your GPU over-heating; did the fan fail, and do you have sufficient air-flow to the card? Perhaps you can check nvidia-settings and see if that reports higher-than-normal temperatures around the time when the crashes happen.

wantilles 07-14-10 01:13 PM

Your problem must be distro-specific.

lucasj 07-15-10 02:39 PM

I can't believe I never thought to check the temperature...

After playing high-def TV with VDPAU acceleration with some other VDPAU videos running in the background and 3D games like Neverball running, (3D acceleration has always worked great in Linux) nvidia-settings reports the GPU's core temperature as never reaching above 85 degrees Celsius. The fan sounds like it's doing its job.

Anyway, I haven't been able to reproduce this crash. Maybe that's because it's temperature-related and the room is now slightly cooler, or because there isn't much on cable TV worth watching anymore, or maybe one of the newer kernel RPMs somehow fixed whatever problem was popping up.

Thanks for the assistance, and thanks especially for Nvidia's continued support of their Linux driver.