nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Feedback Forum (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   ****ing Roll Over Ads!! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=153162)

the captain 07-18-10 10:26 PM

****ing Roll Over Ads!!

ARGH.. they are getting in the way of me typing even this... Every time your mouse crosses their path they take up half the screen, have no X for close, and don't always retract like they should when you mouse over them again. Even if you close it the first time, if your mouse touches that area again, bam, half your screen is covered again. Repeat that over the 3 nvnews tabs I have open, and every time I change tabs, BAM, half the page covered in a video ad again.

After a while you start to get in the habit of dragging your cursor to the side of the screen when moving it to the tabs or menus at the top of your browser window, to stop the stupid thing covering your window again.

Am I the only one who has noticed this? Is this the future of the web, where you can't actually use websites for anything because you can't see them for the ads?

Albo 07-19-10 09:03 AM

Re: ****ing Roll Over Ads!!

I rarely if ever, get those ads, just refresh the page, the ad changes for me.

Yaboze 07-19-10 09:23 AM

I don't mind ads, as long as they are not obtrusive. The banner ads here that roll down and block everything and won't close really piss me off. So, sorry to say, and I get flack for this, I have blocked all ads on this site.

Redeemed 07-20-10 04:39 PM

I just run the 64-bit version of IE. Solves many of these "problems". :D :p

zoomy942 07-20-10 04:47 PM

safari + flashblocker

bob saget 07-20-10 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the captain (Post 2289357)
ARGH.. they are getting in the way of me typing even this... Every time your mouse crosses their path they take up half the screen, have no X for close, and don't always retract like they should when you mouse over them again. Even if you close it the first time, if your mouse touches that area again, bam, half your screen is covered again. Repeat that over the 3 nvnews tabs I have open, and every time I change tabs, BAM, half the page covered in a video ad again.

After a while you start to get in the habit of dragging your cursor to the side of the screen when moving it to the tabs or menus at the top of your browser window, to stop the stupid thing covering your window again.

Am I the only one who has noticed this? Is this the future of the web, where you can't actually use websites for anything because you can't see them for the ads?

i know what you are talking about. adblock and no javascript on firefox eliminated them for me.

Bearclaw 07-20-10 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob saget (Post 2290335)
i know what you are talking about. adblock and no javascript on firefox eliminated them for me.

+1

Redeemed 07-21-10 03:11 PM

The only ads that bother me are the drop down ads. The rest don't bother me. :)

bacon12 07-21-10 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoomy942 (Post 2290297)
safari + flashblocker

Safari? Really!

t3hl33td4rg0n 07-24-10 12:01 AM

Only get those on this site when I use Internet Exploder at work...

I use chrome at home and I only get the google text ads on this site.

crainger 07-24-10 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bacon12 (Post 2290854)
Safari? Really!

He drives an RX-7, are you that surprised?

saturnotaku 07-25-10 05:30 PM

Those ads also make navigating the site on my phone more difficult. (Drois Eris 2.1 w/Dolphin Browser)