nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   My First HDTV Experience (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=153271)

technoid 07-21-10 06:04 PM

My First HDTV Experience

This is my first HDTV experience so forgive my strong opinions. I asked a few questions on this forum before buying and of course researched it to death. We're retired now so money was definitely an issue in the decision process. I ended up taking the first TV I bought back and now I'm trying to get the second one setup the best I can. So I thought I'd share my experience and see if anyone else had the same thoughts or opinions.

My First HDTV was an LG 37LD450.

My wife is disabled so my sister-in-law lives with us and she bought a new HDTV recently so I installed it in her bedroom. It's a very nice TV. It's an LG 32LD550 and has a great picture and all the features I like in an HDTV. So of course when I went out to buy one I wanted the same thing except in a larger size for our bedroom. So I looked for an LG 37LD550, but they didn't make one, only a 37LD450. It figures, the 37 inch class is forgotten for the most part and always seems to get the older generation parts. So what I found was an LG 37LD450 which was a stripped down model with a lower contrast ratio. But I tried it anyway since it was on sale for 529 at Best Buy. And of course it turned out to be a mistake. 1. The screen wasn't very dark when it was off and that's often an indication of how dark the picture can get. There used to be an old saying that a pixel can't get any darker than the screen is when it's OFF, so pay attention to what the screen looks like. That's not always the case but it was in my case. The picture never got close to the way her TV looked, and yes her TV has a very dark screen when it's off. I like high contrast so that was the first strike against the TV I bought. 2. My wife is in very poor health and is confined to the bed most of the time so her sister comes in sometimes to watch a movie with us. The first time she sit down she ask me if something was wrong with our TV because it looked very gray to her. She wasn't sitting off axis very much but the TV has a very poor viewing angle. Of course the specs said the same as the others do, 178 for both vertical and horizontal, which must be a lie because the TV I bought looks great from head on but very poor a little off axis. She was sitting near the end of our king sized bed almost touching the bed, so she wasn't much further off axis than we were. But the TV looked very bad. 3. Sometimes the TV had a very loud whine which would go away when the video was turned off, like a high frequency from the power supply. 4. After 3 weeks it developed a low frequency 60 hz buzz all the time that could be heard anytime the volume was off. You couldn't hear it if the volume was on so it was a power supply buzz but wasn't in the audio. So I ended up taking the TV back the day before my 30 return period ended.

My Second HDTV is a SAMSUNG LN40C630.

I really love the super high contrast of the top Samsung models but the high gloss screen bothers me too much, so I got the 630 instead since it has a dark screen, but not glossy. My sister-in-law says the Samsung looks more classy than her LG does, and I suppose that's right, but it doesn't matter to me. I've only had the Samsung for a few days so I'm still developing opinions about it. The contrast ratio on it isn't as high as my sister-in-laws LG 32LD550 but it looks very good and has a sharp picture. I also bought a Samsung Blu-ray player too, the BD-C6500. So I'm actually evaluating both of them at the same time. I forgot to mention it but I bought the LG BD570 Blu-ray when I bought the first LG TV but ended up taking it back before I even opened the box. I read a review on it and didn't like what I read about it's DVD Upconverting quality so I tried my sister-in-laws LG BD550 (same basic unit as mine but without wireless) and seen the DVD upconverting artifacts I read about in the review, so I took the one I bought un-opened back to Best Buy. According to the reviews I read about the Samsung it was somewhat slower than the LG was but the DVD Upconverting was suppose to be better, and it is. It's not without problems, but the LG has the same problems and others. To me DVD Upconverting should be perfect on all sets without question, after all many people have large libraries of them, and a good DVD Upconvert looks pretty good. Of course it can't compare directly with Blu-ray but we have many Hallmark Hall Of Fame DVDs and they don't come in Blu-ray so you're stuck with them. And we're old so we watch them often, over and over. So DVD Upconversion is of primary importance to me. I will also say the Samsung BD-C6500 has less noise in the Blu-ray image too. So all in all the Samsung Blu-ray player seems better than the LG did to me.

So on to the gripes I have right now.

1. When I stop a Blu-ray movie and restart it it does not start in the same place like a DVD does. Of course if I'm wrong I sure want to know how to do it. (Samsung BD-C6500)

2. When watching a movie on the Samsung LN40C630 with Auto Motion Plus turned ON I can often see jerks and sometimes more than one of a person or object on the screen. After turning Auto Motion Plus OFF that goes away. After doing a google search on it I seen posts from 2007 about it, so why isn't it fixed on my 2010 TV. To me it looks like the processor isn't fast enough and messes up the frames as it's rendering it.

3. The people on the screen seemed separate from the background to me so after finding the Edge Enhancement Feature and then Turning it OFF that seems to have gone away.

4. I have FIOS. When hooking up the Antenna and the screen in 16x9 everything is okay. But if I hook up an HDMI cable from the FIOS STB the screen image is 4x3 unless I turn 16x9 Wide ON, which causes problems for other inputs.

So having to turn those features OFF just to get the TV to look proper seems kinda dumb to me. And also makes me wonder what else is turned ON that needs to be turned off, that is if I can even turn it OFF. So any information about this type of stuff is much appreciated.

ViN86 07-23-10 09:39 AM

Re: My First HDTV Experience

Quote:

Originally Posted by technoid (Post 2290948)
So on to the gripes I have right now.

1. When I stop a Blu-ray movie and restart it it does not start in the same place like a DVD does. Of course if I'm wrong I sure want to know how to do it. (Samsung BD-C6500)

Yea, my PS3 does the same thing. I don't know why to be honest.

Quote:

2. When watching a movie on the Samsung LN40C630 with Auto Motion Plus turned ON I can often see jerks and sometimes more than one of a person or object on the screen. After turning Auto Motion Plus OFF that goes away. After doing a google search on it I seen posts from 2007 about it, so why isn't it fixed on my 2010 TV. To me it looks like the processor isn't fast enough and messes up the frames as it's rendering it.
If you have a 120Hz TV, use 1080/24p and leave the Auto Motion Plus OFF. A lot of people don't even bother with the Auto Motion Plus because it interpolates frames and creates problems in some instances.

The real reason to get a 120Hz TV is for 1080/24p picture. Make sure your BD player output is set correctly.

Quote:

3. The people on the screen seemed separate from the background to me so after finding the Edge Enhancement Feature and then Turning it OFF that seems to have gone away.
Yea that's fine. All that will do is make the edge contrast more noticeable. If you're at 1080p then you're already using every pixel.

Quote:

4. I have FIOS. When hooking up the Antenna and the screen in 16x9 everything is okay. But if I hook up an HDMI cable from the FIOS STB the screen image is 4x3 unless I turn 16x9 Wide ON, which causes problems for other inputs.

So having to turn those features OFF just to get the TV to look proper seems kinda dumb to me. And also makes me wonder what else is turned ON that needs to be turned off, that is if I can even turn it OFF. So any information about this type of stuff is much appreciated.
Is there a setting on your FIOS box to fix that? I have the same issue with Time Warner, but their cable box has a setting to set the aspect on the box.

I know it seems dumb to turn off features, but to be honest, a lot of those features are unnecessary to begin with. I have them off on my TV as well.

Maverick123w 07-23-10 10:04 AM

My Sony bluray starts right where it left off. Strange.

Brookstone 07-27-10 02:46 AM

Mine is Samsung LN32C530 - 32-inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD HDTV

Before I made a decision, I looked at a few models from other vendors (the usual suspects, Sony, Toshiba, Hitachi, etc.) and for the most part they were very similar in the features they offered. This model was a little better than some of the others in the same price/size range and it had some extra cool features (ability to display images from camera) and given my past experience with Samsung, I purchased this model.

I mounted the TV to the wall (using a Cheetah) and cannot be more pleased. The QAM tuner found all of the cable channels that were available (although it would have been nice to just have it hunt for digital channels, I had to go back after the hunt and manually remove the analog junk). The other inputs worked as expected. The remote control is not bad but it lacks a button to turn Closed Captions on/off (you need to navigate the menus to turn on/off, what a hassle). Picture quality is great, and the sound is what you expect for built in speakers (not great, but sufficient)

technoid 07-27-10 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2291794)
Yea, my PS3 does the same thing. I don't know why to be honest.

I called Samsung and they told me they had complaints about the 2010 models doing that but no information about why or the possiblity of fixing it.

Quote:

If you have a 120Hz TV, use 1080/24p and leave the Auto Motion Plus OFF. A lot of people don't even bother with the Auto Motion Plus because it interpolates frames and creates problems in some instances.

The real reason to get a 120Hz TV is for 1080/24p picture. Make sure your BD player output is set correctly.
Yea, that's what I ended up thinking too. The 120hz gives me 555 instead of 322 so that alone was worth the cost.

Quote:

Yea that's fine. All that will do is make the edge contrast more noticeable. If you're at 1080p then you're already using every pixel.
Yes, that's what it did and I didn't like it. I think that's what some call the 3D effect.

Quote:

Is there a setting on your FIOS box to fix that? I have the same issue with Time Warner, but their cable box has a setting to set the aspect on the box.
Thanks! I ended up finding two settings I had to work on. One was the 16:9 setting and the other was the SD Override function which I had to turn OFF.

Quote:

I know it seems dumb to turn off features, but to be honest, a lot of those features are unnecessary to begin with. I have them off on my TV as well.
Yeah it's really dumb to have to turn features off but I suppose some do like the edge enhancment feature. Now the multipule images the Auto Motion Plus created is a different thing, why would anyone want that and why did Samsung implement a feature so badly broken. My sister-in-laws LG doesn't do that, or at least not much because I didn't see it when I watched her set a couple of times.

Thanks for all your input and I'm sorry I waited so long to answer your post. My wife is extremely disabled and I've been worried and busy taking care of her.

ViN86 07-27-10 01:33 PM

No problem. You could have never replied and it would have been ok hehe.

Good luck with your wife and everything. I hope she gets better. :o

technoid 07-27-10 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2293911)
No problem. You could have never replied and it would have been ok hehe.

Good luck with your wife and everything. I hope she gets better. :o

Thanks. My wife's health is just terrible and it continues to get worse constantly. To be honest that's why I bought an HDTV for the bedroom, to give her something large to watch. She's confined to the bed. We're in our sixties and I'm watching her fade away from me and it's killing me. Sorry to post that in this forum.