nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The reason Microsoft decided not to allow PC gamers to take on Xbox gamers? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=153318)

Smee 07-22-10 11:21 PM

The reason Microsoft decided not to allow PC gamers to take on Xbox gamers?

Quote:

There was a project that got killed at Microsoft. This project was designed to allow console gamers and PC gamers to interact and battle over a connected environment. Personally I wish it would have stayed the course. I've heard from reliable sources that during the development they brought together the best console gamers to play mediocre PC gamers at the same game... and guess what happened? They pitted console gamers with their "console" controller, against PC gamers with their keyboard and mouse.

The console players got destroyed every time. So much so that it would be embarrassing to the XBOX team in general had Microsoft launched this initiative. Is this why the project was killed Who knows, but I'd love to hear from anyone involved --- what happened?
Probably not new to anyone...

http://www.rahulsood.com/2010/07/con...gainst-pc.html

nekrosoft13 07-22-10 11:36 PM

Re: The reason Microsoft decided not to allow PC gamers to take on Xbox gamers?

Quote:

The console players got destroyed every time. So much so that it would be embarrassing to the XBOX team in general had Microsoft launched this initiative
funny, I been saying that from the start

ViN86 07-22-10 11:40 PM

Doesn't take a genius to figure that out. I mean you're comparing moving your thumb with fine movements versus moving your entire hand. Also, with mouse and keyboard you can hit multiple keys easily (e.g. two directions, fire and jump at same time, etc.). You can hit multiple commands on a controller, too, but it's awkward.

Mouse and keyboard just offer a better range of controls. Only games where controllers would have an advantage (or be on par with mouse and keyboard at least, imo) would be sports and racing games.

bob saget 07-22-10 11:41 PM

every time i grab hold of a console controller, it feels so weird and unnatural, i just wanna vomit. And i STILL had a kdr of 1 at a game of MW2 at a party thing I went to.

Albo 07-22-10 11:43 PM

Wow, I need to link this to my friends, they keep telling me they can destroy me with a controller, and me a M&KB.

ViN86 07-22-10 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albo (Post 2291645)
Wow, I need to link this to my friends, they keep telling me they can destroy me with a controller, and me a M&KB.

Your friends are retarded.

bob saget 07-22-10 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albo (Post 2291645)

dude, you'll rape them hard. over. and over.

ViN86 07-22-10 11:48 PM

I have spent a LOT of time on both mouse and keyboard and controllers in FPS games, and it's no comparison. Mouse and keyboard will crush controller every time in FPS, and especially RTS.

One of my friends used to tell me he could beat me with a controller versus mouse and keyboard. He never gamed on a PC, either. So I just laughed it off. :lol:

Viral 07-23-10 02:15 AM

It takes me a good half hour to adapt back to using a controller effectively (enough), so yeah, obviously controllers are gimped for FPS.

jolle 07-23-10 02:28 AM

saw this on kotaku yesterday and chuckled a bit.
Its one of those really obvious things that a few knuckleheads like to dispute.
But when all is said and done, you can NEVER move the cross hair as fast with a analog stick as with a mouse.

crainger 07-23-10 03:11 AM

Oh you can move it as fast. Just wont be able to hit anything. ::p:

K007 07-23-10 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smee (Post 2291631)

i thought this was common knowledge :/...

Quote:

Microsoft had invested heavily in a project aimed at bridging the online gap between PC and console, but killed it after PC gamers wiped the floor with console players:
lol