nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   backing up steam games... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=153357)

Redeemed 07-23-10 10:49 PM

backing up steam games...

Hey ya'll- bout ready to install my SSDs and do a fresh install. I have well over 100GB of games in my Steams list and really don't want to DL them all over again. Is there any way to back up a specific game in my Steam folder. Then after finished installing windows/updates/drivers/etc and after re-installing steam, transfer the folder back over to the new steam folder and have all my games work?

I suspect maybe not due to registry keys? Just curious and remember this or a similar topic being discussed here before. :)

Thanks ya'll. :D

Airbrushkid 07-23-10 11:17 PM

Re: backing up steam games...

You just right click the game and you'll seena option to back up the game. You'll seen all your steam games there. Once you look youy'll see how it works. And bno I don't think you can just copy a folder.

Redeemed 07-23-10 11:20 PM

Oh... so even after doing that back up I'll still have to re-download it? Can't just copy it over after the fresh install?

That's gonna' take a long-arse time. :(

logan 07-23-10 11:29 PM

I don't know about Steam's builtin backup system, but when I setup my Windows gaming system I just copied the steamapps dir from my Linux desktop and Steam pulled 'em all in fine. A few games needed updating, but I didn't have to download the whole thing. If you have 100GB free space somewhere, just try to copy the steamapps dir or the specific .gcf file(s) and then back again after.

Redeemed 07-23-10 11:32 PM

Hmm... not a bad idea Logan. Thanks. :D

dikinher 07-23-10 11:47 PM

I do the same thing. I just copy the steamapps folder into my backup hard drive. Eliminates the whole idea of redownloading games.

K007 07-23-10 11:55 PM

i just copy the steam folder...never used the backup system in steam.

the copy folder is so easy lol...

Redeemed 07-24-10 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K007 (Post 2292189)
i just copy the steam folder...never used the backup system in steam.

the copy folder is so easy lol...

The entire folder? So you don't do a fresh install of Steam? And it works?

nutcrackr 07-24-10 12:13 AM

I just copy steam apps.

install steam fresh on a new system, login then close steam.

copy steam apps and all the gcfs and common programs. Start steam and all your games should be 100%. I've done this a few times moving computers works well. Hardest part is transferring saves and finding out where they all are.

Albo 07-24-10 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutcrackr (Post 2292194)
I just copy steam apps.

install steam fresh on a new system, login then close steam.

copy steam apps and all the gcfs and common programs. Start steam and all your games should be 100%. I've done this a few times moving computers works well. Hardest part is transferring saves and finding out where they all are.

Exactly what he said.

trivium nate 07-24-10 12:57 AM

my steam folder is on my 2nd drive i just reinstall steam every fresh install and it works fine,
if you do it that way make sure you right click on all of them to make sure that the keep my game option is selected

K007 07-24-10 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed (Post 2292190)
The entire folder? So you don't do a fresh install of Steam? And it works?

no no i do install it, and after installation, i just copy / paste the folder over.