nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Kane and Lynch: Dog Days demo question (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=153538)

dikinher 07-28-10 07:34 PM

Kane and Lynch: Dog Days demo question

I only played like 3 minutes of the game before I exited out of it. My problem with it? The graphics quality. Is it me or does the game look like it's being played from a stream? For example, like Onlive? The textures are pixelated and distorted. What the hell gives? Also, Ambient Occlussion looks like crap on this. It's like everything is outlined with a sharpy.

NaitoSan 07-28-10 07:51 PM

Re: Kane and Lynch: Dog Days demo question

It's the style IO Interactive opted for this game. They tend to make it look more muddy, gritter with steady cam making it feel somehow realistic and intense. I love the style they used.

dikinher 07-28-10 08:06 PM

I am not talking about the gritty and muddy look. I am talking a about the compression effect. I think it looks stupid. It's like watching a 360p video on youtube of someone playing a video game. Why they would add such an effect is beyond my understanding.

Destroy 07-28-10 08:18 PM

Graphics are rather poor overall but the scenes are busy. Game itself is hohum over the shoulder/cover shoot nausea. Didn't like the first one, like this 2nd one even less.

NaitoSan 07-28-10 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dikinher (Post 2294666)
I am not talking about the gritty and muddy look. I am talking a about the compression effect. I think it looks stupid. It's like watching a 360p video on youtube of someone playing a video game. Why they would add such an effect is beyond my understanding.

Why? Here's the answer on why developers chose this kind of style:

"Introducing a new visual experience, Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days is inspired by documentary filmmakers and the user-generated era. Every aspect of the game has been designed to deliver a fresh perspective to the words 'intensity' and 'realism' in video games."

If you don't appreciate the style, then this game isn't for you.

EDIT: I believe you can turn it off under options but then it'll lose the whole idea of immersion.

dikinher 07-28-10 09:31 PM

So their intention was to make the game appear like a youtube video? There is no immersion in that. I could save myself $50 bucks and just watch the first Kane and Lynch game on a youtube video of someone playing it.

Mr. Hunt 07-28-10 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dikinher (Post 2294693)
So their intention was to make the game appear like a youtube video? There is no immersion in that. I could save myself $50 bucks and just watch the first Kane and Lynch game on a youtube video of someone playing it.

Should be obvious that was the intention. Even the loading screen says "Buffering"... I personally like it. The game at least has colors, which is saying more than 99% of the other crap coming out these days.

dikinher 07-28-10 11:30 PM

I just finished the demo. The game play is ok I guess. But the first one played better in my opinion. The sequel looks like a step backwards to me. I can't stand the compression appearance to it. It ruins it for me. Eidos ruins yet another game.

nutcrackr 07-29-10 06:08 AM

It's blocky but not nearly as bad as I was thinking it would be.

I didn't like the demo but the blockiness wasn't really an issue.

wysiwyg 07-29-10 07:11 AM

i thought it looked a bit dated, and the shaky cam made me feel sick within a few mins. no other game has done that

|MaguS| 07-29-10 07:20 AM

I love the style. Makes me feel like im playing Natural Born Killers. :D

crainger 07-31-10 01:34 AM

Not sure the fullscreen effects have translated well to high res PC. Looks far better on console.