nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Mobile Devices And Smartphones (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Dell Streak (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=153553)

|MaguS| 07-29-10 07:17 AM

Dell Streak

Anyone else excited about this device? Don't think I will use it for a phone but would be a nice mini tablet. I might get it at full retail and pop my iphones sim in there when im traveling since it still has unlimited data. ^_^

Stoneyguy 07-29-10 11:52 AM

Re: Dell Streak

Not really. I was expecting a higher resolution when I first heard about the 5" screen. The iPhone 4 beats it and the Captivate ties it in that category even at smaller screen sizes. I'm hoping that the actual tablets Dell has coming out have more impressive specs.

Sazar 07-29-10 09:08 PM

I've played around with a couple of samples and the device is actually pretty snazzy in person. My iPhone 4 fits inside of the screen :)

While the resolution isn't higher than an Evo, for example, because the screen is larger, more is displayed on there.

Stone, how does the iPhone 4 beat it exactly, outside of resolution? Or are you only speaking about the resolution? :confused:

Again, because of the size of the screen, readability is pretty impressive. I saw a lot more results on a search on Youtube than either the Evo or my iPhone 4 :D

I am hoping they can speed up the delivery of Froyo to the device before the stated October goal :( That is the biggest flaw so far.

Still the interface was smooth during usage.

Bearclaw 07-30-10 12:16 AM

I haven't read a ton on this phone but from what I HAVE read and seen, this phone looks amazing.

Stoneyguy 07-30-10 07:03 AM

I was only referring to the resolution. It does fall behind some of it's Android cousins with a lack of bluetooth 3 and wireless N.

Sazar 08-19-10 03:58 PM

Ok, I've been playing around with this phone for the past day and a half and I officially LOVE IT, even if it only has 1.6 installed right now :D

Photo below was taken on my iPhone 4.

Pro's:

The phone is thin and light-weight and yet the build-quality is great. It almost begs to be used in Landscape mode, but you can use it either way. Again, the device is SLEEK as heck. It is as thin, if not thinner, than my iPhone 4, which is really saying something. No pictures do the device justice. It looks awesome in person.

The overall fit/finish is very impressive and the camera's (both) work extremely well. They are as good as/better than the iPhone 4's from my seat of the pants feel.

The device is extremely responsive even if it is running 1.6. Note that the BIG caveat here is the OS and it is really holding back the device right now. The rumor is that 2.2 will be debuting on the phone sooner rather than later and that is what I am looking forward to.

While the phone is not small, it actually fit comfortably into my jeans. I was wearing a pair of AX jeans last night and the pockets aren't very large, and yet there was no problem fitting the phone in there. Sitting down with the phone in your pocket is a different story, but then I always remove my iPhone when I sit anyways, so this would be no different.

Dedicated camera button is a god-send. I didn't realize how much I missed this.

I am able to easily log into my corporate network with this device. I cannot with my iPhone because of the lack of comprehensive settings even going through Exchange. It is something I can fix, but I am not going to pay extra for the ability to get support.

The pixel density is pretty solid and I didn't notice pixelation when using the device. I had much more real-estate on websites and didn't need to scroll around to see more of a page. Typing was also easier with the keyboard, but it could have been oriented better. SWYPE was not installed so I didn't get a chance to play with it.

Cons:

Biggest con right now is the lack of Froyo. With Froyo I think this device will be a game-changer because it is the PERFECT size, at least as far as I am concerned.

Accessories. There are a lot of accessories, but I am hoping to see a lot more in the coming months. For a device this big, it will need more custom components and I don't know if Dell has enough partners. I saw and felt Otter's case and I like it, but where are the other car docks besides the one on the website?

Locked to AT&T. While the iPhone was able to get away with it, I am not happy with this lock. Even the "unlocked" version is locked to AT&T's network.

Conclusion:

Overall, I have not been as excited about a phone since the original iPhone 3G came out. At that time it was the best overall device on the market. Some did things better in some areas, others in other areas but the 3G was the best of breed.

Right now the iPhone 4 continues to have by far the smoothest interface and has some nice gimmicks, but with Froyo, Android has officially left Apple behind and Dell has done an amazing job (who woulda thunk it?) with this product. I am truly shocked at how much I was enamored with it.

I have 2 lines on my phone account, 1 has my iPhone 4 and the 2nd is currently running a 3G and I am tempted to switch the 3G (it's upgrade ready) to the Streak. They are shipping and delivering now so I know I'll be able to get one :D

-edit-

Regarding phone calls, the Streak actually doesn't look too weird holding up to your head. It is not small by any means but it doesn't look gargantuan, unless you are a midget with tiny hands and a pin-cushion sized head.

4.5/5 Stars

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7765/dellstreak.png

Maverick123w 08-20-10 09:48 AM

Streak didn't look so good in anand's review. If it had 2.2 I'd be a lot more interested in it. Launching with 1.6 is pathetic.

Airbrushkid 08-20-10 10:03 AM

I get it for just gaming because the size of the screen. I already have a iPhone.

|MaguS| 08-20-10 11:06 AM

Sazer is it true that the device has to be used in landscape mode?

HiCZoK4 08-20-10 12:12 PM

That looks much too big. Its neither small for a phone and big for tablet

It looks riddiculous talking with it :rofl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85jYC...feature=search

Sazar 08-20-10 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS| (Post 2305349)
Sazer is it true that the device has to be used in landscape mode?

Nope, you can change orientation and adjust orientation lock but once you start using it, you will probably use it in Landscape by default after a little bit. I know I did.

I use my iPhone in landscape most of the time as well (which is where I was experiencing the "death grip" issue) but it just feels more natural with the Streak.

The way the buttons and docks and what not are oriented, it seems Dell designed it to be used in Landscape most of the time.

Sazar 08-20-10 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick123w (Post 2305292)
Streak didn't look so good in anand's review. If it had 2.2 I'd be a lot more interested in it. Launching with 1.6 is pathetic.

I know, but the way I read Anand's review was it was based solely on 1.6

All the benchmark numbers and a large number of other items will automatically change for the better once 2.2 is installed.

My point was that EVEN with 1.6 installed, the phone is pretty damn good. With 2.2, pinch to zoom and a lot of other items will be present by default :)

Quote:

Launching with Android 1.6 was also a mistake. I suspect many of the performance problems to be solved by the 2.2 update later this year, but until then I view the Streak as untouchable.
That is Anand's verdict. I completely disagree :)

In my opinion (and again, just mine), I think it is a superior product to the Evo's and Droid X's of this world BECAUSE of the screen and overall form-factor. 1.6 is backwards, undoubtedly, and a bigger issue is the AT&T lock. Those are REAL reason to dislike the phone/tablet (phablet?) but there is something that just made me want to own one.