nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA FreeBSD (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   nvidia GeForce 310M CUDA Optimus on FreeBSD 8.1? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=153997)

maksfeltrin 08-11-10 07:33 PM

nvidia GeForce 310M CUDA Optimus on FreeBSD 8.1?

Is it possible to make nvidia-driver work for 310m graphic card in freebsd 8.1, bypassing the internal intel graphic adapter?

my conf: (asus k52jc)

FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE i386
nvidia-driver-256.44
xorg-7.5
xorg-server-1.7.5,1

so far only vesa driver seems to work with vga set (BIOS config) in Reserved mode.

When not in reserved mode and with nvidia-driver loaded, nvidia0 device is recognized, but i was unable to make it work. Computer just hangs..

I tried several configs: with and without freebsd agp gart, acpi, linux compatibility, edid exporting from win...everyone was unsuccesful.

(...on the verge of selling my notebook...)

rnejdl 08-11-10 08:06 PM

Re: nvidia GeForce 310M CUDA Optimus on FreeBSD 8.1?

Can you answer a few questions-

What version of the driver are you running?
How much memory do you have?
Are you running 32bit or 64bit FreeBSD?

Rusty Nejdl
http://networking.ringofsaturn.com

maksfeltrin 08-12-10 07:17 AM

Hello,

i run 32bit version of FreeBSD (8.1). Notebook (asus k52jc sx001v) has 4GB RAM

I tried both latest official nvidia-driver-256.44 and 195.xx.xx driver from ports (x11/nvidia-driver)

Asus BIOS setup allows to set vga configuration in 2 modes: vista/win7 (hybryd graphic adapter conf i think) and reserved (i supposed this would enable just the nvidia geforce 310m cuda 1GB)

results:

1. reserved mode: only vesa driver works, nvidia0 is not recognized, just vga0

2. vista/win7 mode: devices => vga0, nvidia0 on vga0, vga1. Nothing works...i read a lot of posts in many forums and tried everything i could...vesa driver doesn't work as well

Thanks

rnejdl 08-12-10 09:11 AM

Unfortunately, you can't run 32bit FreeBSD with 4GB of ram. I've posted this in another thread:

You need to disable your memory to 2GB, run 64 bit FreeBSD, or put this in /boot/loader.conf:

machdep.disable_mtrrs="1"

Sincerely,
Rusty Nejdl

maksfeltrin 08-12-10 09:59 AM

Thanks for your suggestions, sorry i missed that post.

Best regards,

maks

maksfeltrin 08-12-10 11:56 AM

so far:

1. adding machdep.disable_mtrrs="1" to boot/loader.conf didn't work. Tried with 2 driver version 195 and 256, compiled without(disabling agp.0 in device.hints)/with freebsd_agp, with/without linux_compat, without apm.

2. removing 2GB of memory didn't work as well, trying every combination

In both cases I noticed that : using no BusID in xorg.conf results in "(EE) no device found" in X log. Setting BusID to PCI:1:0:0 doesn't get to this error, but the computer just freezes and needs to be shutdown manually (tried to log remotely using ssh, sshd wasn't running anymore)

Later i will try FreeBSD 8.1 amd64 with the whole amount of memory

rnejdl 08-12-10 08:33 PM

For what it's worth, this card should definitely be supported by the 256 driver:

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Fr...rtedchips.html

But, this is optimus technology which lets you switch video card around, right? I haven't seen that work on anything other than a mac so far so I will need NVidia to comment on if this will work on FreeBSD. Sorry to have wasted your time... it's what happens when replying at work.

Rusty Nejdl

maksfeltrin 08-13-10 07:25 AM

Hi,

yes i knew about nvidia drivers for FreeBSD...that's the reason i choose my notebook, instead of a ati driven laptop.

...anyway...

i tried with amd64 fbsd 8.1....same results...the only difference is that Xorg -configure now recognizes the nvidia0 on vgapci0 as "nvidia" and not just "nv".

Similar problem in this forum: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=3065
...the guy was luckier than me and eventually solved his problem

the weird fact is that asus provides 2 bios settings:

1.reserved vga0 on PCI:1:0:0 works with vesa
2.win7/vista: nvidia0 is recognized on PCI:1:0:0, vgapci1 on PCI:0:2:0 (internal intel graphic device). Both doesn't work, even with vesa driver...

...anyway...thanks for your time,

best regards,

maks

PS

What I'm trying to do is to use one of the graphic adapter with a decent performance....don't need for switching technology...

maksfeltrin 08-13-10 05:10 PM

(LINUX) STATUS UPDATE:

I've used FreeBSD since 2001 for web/mail/db services and as my personal desktop development environment.
At home I also use an old version of ubuntustudio on a old pc, just for watching movies and sat tv.

WeIl I've just tried latest version of UbuntuStudio 10.04 in my notebook...
...everything's just working out of the box, my internal monitor is recognized with 1366x768 resolution (bios mode:win7/vista) and as soon as i attached my external 1440x900 monitor it just worked and extended my desktop....amazing.... i will try to install new nvidia drivers just to see what they do...not before giving myself 1 day of graphic satisfactaction....

...so until i get support from nvidia or xorg xf86-video-intel will support intel ironlake chipset i think i will stick with linux (after 9 years...let's see if i can resist....too much stuff in "/etc")

spry 08-16-10 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maksfeltrin (Post 2301930)
(LINUX) STATUS UPDATE:

I've used FreeBSD since 2001 for web/mail/db services and as my personal desktop development environment.
At home I also use an old version of ubuntustudio on a old pc, just for watching movies and sat tv.

WeIl I've just tried latest version of UbuntuStudio 10.04 in my notebook...
...everything's just working out of the box, my internal monitor is recognized with 1366x768 resolution (bios mode:win7/vista) and as soon as i attached my external 1440x900 monitor it just worked and extended my desktop....amazing.... i will try to install new nvidia drivers just to see what they do...not before giving myself 1 day of graphic satisfactaction....

...so until i get support from nvidia or xorg xf86-video-intel will support intel ironlake chipset i think i will stick with linux (after 9 years...let's see if i can resist....too much stuff in "/etc")

Hi there,

I think we have similar notebooks. I've been struggling to get it working in FreeBSD 8.1/amd64 w/ all the latest ports and NVIDIA drivers -- no go.

W/c driver for your ubuntu did you use ? Intel or nvidia ? And would you be kind enuff to post your xorg.conf please?

Thanks.