nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Archived News Items (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   StarCraft 2 sales blitz a success: sales crush console games (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=154059)

News 08-13-10 11:10 AM

StarCraft 2 sales blitz a success: sales crush console games

More...

|MaguS| 08-13-10 11:29 AM

Re: StarCraft 2 sales blitz a success: sales crush console games

Crush console games in July... Love PC Gaming sites... always twist the news to make PC Gaming market seem stronger then it is.

ViN86 08-13-10 11:38 AM

It barely beat NCAA Football 11? :wtf:

I didn't know that game was so popular...

bacon12 08-13-10 12:24 PM

Ars isn't a PC gaming site. They actually review more xbox and PS3 games.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2301761)

Both PS3 and 360 combined.

Quote:

Blizzard announced that it sold a million copies worldwide in the game's first 24 hours of availability, and sold 1.5 million in the first 48 hours.
That is a respectable number in 48 hours.

|MaguS| 08-13-10 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bacon12 (Post 2301786)
That is a respectable number in 48 hours.

I expected a lot more coming from a franchise with as strong of a following as Starcraft and with as much hype as it received. In comparison Halo 3 sold over 1.5 Million in under 12 hours.

Bearclaw 08-13-10 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS| (Post 2301796)
I expected a lot more coming from a franchise with as strong of a following as Starcraft and with as much hype as it received. In comparison Halo 3 sold over 1.5 Million in under 12 hours.

+1 Waiting for years, I expected a TON of sales but then again, waiting so long also turns people off from a game, series, etc. IE: HL2.

ViN86 08-13-10 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bacon12 (Post 2301786)
Ars isn't a PC gaming site. They actually review more xbox and PS3 games.

Both PS3 and 360 combined.

So? How the hell did that game sell that many copies? I had no idea people loved that so much. I can understand Madden selling like that, but NCAA?

With Diablo III probably coming later this year or earlier next year, I think we should have bought Blizzard stock about 6 months ago. :D

bacon12 08-13-10 01:10 PM

Vin I guess its people like my brother I suppose. He has at least 300 titles in sports games just like that he has bought over the years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS| (Post 2301796)

Yea lets compare this game to MS's best selling game ever. Which btw is a platform exclusive, that had an advertising budget of what eleventy billion?

nekrosoft13 08-13-10 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2301761)

its popular by the drones that each year buy every sports game, just because they added +1 to the title

Bearclaw 08-13-10 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 2301848)
its popular by the drones that each year buy every sports game, just because they added +1 to the title

:lol: Agreed. It's a diamond mine franchise because of those people. SAME people, little effort put in eveyr year, new year BOOM. Explosion of sales.

JasonPC 08-13-10 09:30 PM

Lets also consider that this number only includes North America (the 1.5 million includes Europe I believe). I hear there's this one country in Asia that really really likes Starcraft and I bet people there bought a couple or so :p

HaLOL is a bad game to compare this to because Starcraft is going to sell like crazy in markets where people could care less about HaLOL.

Zelda_fan 08-14-10 11:32 AM

I have a feeling SC2 is going to have some strong legs in terms of sales in the coming years. If you go on battle.net it says that there are over 1 million currently playing. The multi-player aspect gives this game tremendous replay value. It'll be like the new smash bros at college. Tons of people are going to buy this.