nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   My 3d HTPC Adventure (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=154252)

tornadog 08-19-10 12:33 PM

My 3d HTPC Adventure

So I upgraded my gaming pc to make it 3d ready. Been playing the few games I owned and its been fun and all. But I wanted some real 3d stuff. So it began.

My first purchase was a 4x bluray drive, and to say my dvd writer was sitting idle and gathering dust, but I need a bd drive, so that.
Then went and bought couple of software, stereoscopic player from 3dtv.at and Powerdvd 10 Ultra 3d Mark 2
Now for the content, I scourged the net and found lot of 3d content at biohemmet.se. Paying a few bucks got me access to their ftp with tons of stuff.
And then the movies, bought Grand Canyon Imax 3d, and Monster vs Aliens 3d from Ebay. Paid a pretty penny to get them, but was worth it.
Now I want to get 3d channels from Directv, but thats not straight forward. Directv only sends 3d signals to a handful on 3d tvs in their list. Connect anything else and it wont budge.
So what I am doing is to get a edid spoofer(gefen HDMI Detective), getting edid for a tv in their list. For this I have to go to Bestbuy and hope one of the reps there will let me connect my device to one of the tvs on display there. Highly unlikely, especially since I am not American or white(lol)
then connect it to a Avertv HD DVR Capture card and hope it carries the signal to my pc, when I will then use stereoscopic player to play the live video in checkerboard format.

nekrosoft13 08-19-10 01:29 PM

Re: My 3d HTPC Adventure

what excactly is biohemmet.se? what type of content? legal content?

at work, so don't want to visit the site before i know that it is.

lduguay 08-19-10 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 2304723)
what excactly is biohemmet.se? what type of content? legal content?

at work, so don't want to visit the site before i know that it is.

Appears legit, but it has some NSFW content on the main page...

tornadog 08-19-10 02:00 PM

it definitely has nsfw content, like 3-4 clips. But the rest of the stuff is legal and innocuous!!!

lduguay 08-19-10 02:24 PM

Tornadog, dont you need a 1080p display for side by side 3d? I see that you have a Panasonic Viera 50" 720P Plasma.

tornadog 08-19-10 02:29 PM

oh I didnt update, I have a mitsubishi 73" dlp now

lduguay 08-19-10 02:37 PM

I think Directv is well aware of this and will provide a workaround soon(?)
Why dont you go to the same store where you bought your Mits? They sure will let you grab some other tv EDID.

tornadog 08-19-10 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lduguay (Post 2304766)
I think Directv is well aware of this and will provide a workaround soon(?)
Why dont you go to the same store where you bought your Mits? They sure will let you grab some other tv EDID.

bought it online from dell.com :)

lduguay 08-19-10 03:11 PM

I'm sure some rep somewhere will let you suck some 3DTV DNA. :)