nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Bluescreens win 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=154628)

sammy sung 08-31-10 11:00 AM

Bluescreens win 7

For the last 2 months i've been running my 9650 @ 3.6 ghz without any issues but today it bluescreened 3 times in a row just by opening youtube.I'm running 1.315 vcore ,i backed off from 400fsb to 380 but didn't change anything else and it seems fine again.I just don't get it why it would bluescreen all of a sudden after 2 months,am i running too low vcore or something ? Any ideas would be welcome,i haven't changed any other voltages than the vcore.

newparad1gm 08-31-10 12:55 PM

Re: Bluescreens win 7

I had the same issue where an overclock that was stable for months suddenly started causing problems, so I had to bump up the vcore to maintain the same overclock. I guess if you push the limits of your hardware, eventually its going to fail due to the age of the part itself, or perhaps some other range of factors that pushed it into unstable territory (ambient temperatures rising, power supply failing, etc). Either that, or perhaps it was never stable in the first place, and you've just gotten very lucky.

frenchy2k1 08-31-10 01:08 PM

running an overclocked part slowly destroys it.
All parts worsen with age. Running out of spec will speed up that degradation, particularly higher voltage/heat and speed.

sammy sung 08-31-10 07:26 PM

All of this i am aware of but we are talking less than 2 months here with a smaller oc than i ran on my C2D 6600 for 2 years.I wouldn't think that it would degrade that fast considering the mere 600 hz oc and minute changes in vcore iv'e done to it sofar.It doesn't make sense because people are running these at 4 ghz + with a lot larger increases in vcore than iv'e done to it and for a lot longer aswell.I'm inclined to think that as the first reply said that i got lucky with the lowish vcore i set and that i need more for higher stability. ( i think that casucode mentioned 1.38 to be stable at 3.8 ghz with additional changes to chipset voltages) 3.6 is fine with me though so i'm not going to push it further.

grey_1 09-01-10 07:55 AM

My P5E, awesome board, fed a bit less on the VDIMM than what the bios showed. I don't remember the exact numbers, but after mullet told me about and I upped it a bit, the blue screens stopped.

Have no idea if the P5Q has the same issue, but worth looking into.

sammy sung 09-01-10 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1 (Post 2310998)
My P5E, awesome board, fed a bit less on the VDIMM than what the bios showed. I don't remember the exact numbers, but after mullet told me about and I upped it a bit, the blue screens stopped.

Have no idea if the P5Q has the same issue, but worth looking into.

Thanks grey,i'll check that out :)

sammy sung 09-03-10 05:17 PM

You might very well be on to something there grey,my ram's voltage spec says 2.0 v but the mobo defaults them at 1.9.If there's some voltage drops aswell that explains it,no issues since i changed it though.

grey_1 09-03-10 06:31 PM

Hope it does it for you Sammy - that was frustrating as heck going through that.

sammy sung 09-03-10 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1 (Post 2312719)
Hope it does it for you Sammy - that was frustrating as heck going through that.

Yea thanks for the headsup :)