nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Interesting PhysX Blog (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=155387)

Rollo 09-22-10 08:43 PM

Interesting PhysX Blog

http://scalibq.spaces.live.com/Blog/...0661!387.entry

LOL- I always crack up when I see that "CPUs could do PhysX effects just as good!" malarky.

Yet mysteriously we never see anything but scripted physics in Havoc games, wonder why?

jkmetal 09-22-10 09:08 PM

Re: Interesting PhysX Blog

"NVIDIA Focus Group Member
NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members."

Absolutely your own opinions. No questions about it; no ifs, ands or buts about it.......

bacon12 09-22-10 09:22 PM

Honestly scripted is fine by me. Prime example is BC2 destruction 2.0.

Ninja Prime 09-22-10 10:05 PM

Physx is a sucky gimmick. It will never take off, and it doesn't add anything to games.

mailman2 09-22-10 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja Prime (Post 2322557)
Physx is a sucky gimmick. It will never take off, and it doesn't add anything to games.

+1

Rollo 09-22-10 11:35 PM

Quote:

Yes, it would be better for my games to look just like they do on my son's PS3 and 360, like they do on ATi cards?

As far as it not taking off, looks to me like it's taken off to a far greater extent than any ATi specific feature ever has. Last I saw there were about 20 games and climbing that use PhysX.

Last couple I picked up were Metro 2033 and Mafia II.

nutcrackr 09-22-10 11:47 PM

I'd rather an open system for physics so both graphics card companies could compete for performance so the consumer wins. I'd also probably rather see it being useful, rather than a gimmick that drops performance considerably.

scripted does 90% of the job for 10% of the computing power.

LT.Schaffer 09-23-10 12:04 AM

Quote:

Take a look at the water cannon in Cryostasis and tell me the physX effects on doesn't make the stream look 100% better:)
Ill try to get a video of the effect on and off to show it.

Here You Go

I used Fraps to take these so they are not tweaked just straight out of game:)

PhysX OFF

PhysX ON

mailman2 09-23-10 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollo (Post 2322584)
Yes, it would be better for my games to look just like they do on my son's PS3 and 360, like they do on ATi cards?

As far as it not taking off, looks to me like it's taken off to a far greater extent than any ATi specific feature ever has. Last I saw there were about 20 games and climbing that use PhysX.

Physx is way too much of a performance hit for the added effects. Needing a second GPU to render some particles isn't a justifiable expense. I've played all the games with Physx and I've disabled it every time. I'd rather have Havoc any day.

ViN86 09-23-10 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutcrackr (Post 2322587)
I'd rather an open system for physics so both graphics card companies could compete for performance so the consumer wins. I'd also probably rather see it being useful, rather than a gimmick that drops performance considerably.

scripted does 90% of the job for 10% of the computing power.

Enter OpenCL...

bob saget 09-23-10 01:14 AM

cryostasis is the only game i ever played where physx is a must imo. bc2 destruction looks fine i think.

Muppet 09-23-10 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT.Schaffer (Post 2322590)
Take a look at the water cannon in Cryostasis and tell me the physX effects on doesn't make the stream look 100% better:)
Ill try to get a video of the effect on and off to show it.

Here You Go

I used Fraps to take these so they are not tweaked just straight out of game:)

PhysX OFF

PhysX ON

The difference in that is mind boggling. Wow.:)