nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Steam account stolen (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=155522)

Rakeesh 09-26-10 03:42 PM

Steam account stolen

I haven't logged on to steam in ages but just recently I got an email from steam with a confirmation of an email address change without ever requesting one. So putting two and two together I tried to log in to steam and sure enough my password doesn't work.

Not sure how anybody could have guessed my login name and password since I don't use either of them elsewhere, and since I haven't logged in to steam in a long time there's no chance of my password being keylogged without something else of mine also getting stolen. That and I know what phishing scams look like and don't fall for them (nor have I even typed my steam login name in over six months.)

Anyways I already started the account re-claiming process (who knows when they'll actually give it back to me) but meanwhile I'm concerned if anybody might cheat using my account and get it vac banned. That said, can anybody in the nvnews steam group check if it shows me (I'm named Rakeesh in the nvnews group) logged in?

Redeemed 09-26-10 03:50 PM

Re: Steam account stolen

Will do. You start banning members and I'll have to ban you. :bleh:

Actually- don't think I can since you're the owner of the group.

Wait a min...

END OF DAYSSSS!!!! :scarey:

Roadhog 09-26-10 03:50 PM

they will get your account back, but it is more than likely vac banned. Which they can't do anything about.

bob saget 09-26-10 03:53 PM

can't find you in the group or in my friends. it's possible whoever stole it left all the groups. I added an account called rakeesh to my friends, and it says it was online 66 days ago and created in Dec, '08.

Redeemed 09-26-10 03:54 PM

Actually... I cannot find you in the nVnews group...

Rakeesh 09-26-10 03:54 PM

I wonder how the hell it got stolen, I wonder if somebody hacked valves servers.

Rakeesh 09-26-10 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob saget (Post 2324131)
I added an account called rakeesh to my friends, and it says it was online 66 days ago and created in Dec, '08.

That doesn't sound like mine, I created my account back when steam was brand new.

Rakeesh 09-26-10 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog (Post 2324129)
they will get your account back, but it is more than likely vac banned. Which they can't do anything about.

If this is the case I won't buy anymore steam games, that's BS.

bob saget 09-26-10 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK (Post 2324137)
That doesn't sound like mine, I created my account back when steam was brand new.

very very strange.

bob saget 09-26-10 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK (Post 2324138)
If this is the case I won't buy anymore steam games, that's BS.

yea, if it is VAC banned, then all the multiplayer games on your account are screwed, but not singleplayer.

Drolfrawd 09-26-10 04:11 PM

Oh that sucks big time, sorry to hear that. did you have many games

Rakeesh 09-26-10 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drolfrawd (Post 2324150)
Oh that sucks big time, sorry to hear that. did you have many games

hl1, hl2, and orange box