nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Running backward + shooting = bad (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=155646)

ragejg 09-30-10 03:56 PM

Running backward + shooting = bad

:rofl

http://kotaku.com/5652224/running-ba...a-in-real-life

bob saget 09-30-10 04:13 PM

Re: Running backward + shooting = bad

way too many morons in this world.
what would possess a person to run backwards and shoot a weapon is beyond me. he should check if the grenades in call of duty have a realistic blast radius :bleh:

Drolfrawd 09-30-10 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob saget (Post 2326124)
way too many morons in this world.
what would possess a person to run backwards and shoot a weapon is beyond me. he should check if the grenades in call of duty have a realistic blast radius :bleh:

:rofl
+1 for morons

ragejg 09-30-10 04:37 PM

Way to miss the point of what he was doing. :rolleyes:

:p

Point is, some game devs might oughtta take his experience into account; he was braver (and maybe a bit stupider, lol) than most of us for actually trying this out.

Phyre 09-30-10 04:53 PM

Walking backwards and shooting (AR-15) is hard enough. Think distances of about 25 yards max to the target. You have to control the shots. For me, fully automatic fire in games is way too accurate.

ViN86 09-30-10 05:06 PM

Don't worry, Darwin will get this guy. He always gets his idiot.

bacon12 09-30-10 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phyre (Post 2326143)
Walking backwards and shooting (AR-15) is hard enough. Think distances of about 25 yards max to the target. You have to control the shots. For me, fully automatic fire in games is way too accurate.

This I completely agree with, and love mods that add back some recoil.

bob saget 09-30-10 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragejg (Post 2326133)
Way to miss the point of what he was doing. :rolleyes:

Point is, some game devs might oughtta take his experience into account; he was braver (and maybe a bit stupider, lol) than most of us for actually trying this out.

this is the point i was making with the mafia 2 game. Realism DOES NOT NECESSARILY mean fun. If they make an FPS that's more realistic, i couldn't give a rat's ass. All i want is for it to be enjoyable. IF in this game I can move backwards, and IF in this game I can be attacked while moving backwards, then IMO I SHOULD be able to defend myself (while moving backwards). This isn't the Gaza Strip, it's a video game.

Logical 09-30-10 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob saget (Post 2326185)
this is the point i was making with the mafia 2 game. Realism DOES NOT NECESSARILY mean fun. If they make an FPS that's more realistic, i couldn't give a rat's ass. All i want is for it to be enjoyable. IF in this game I can move backwards, and IF in this game I can be attacked while moving backwards, then IMO I SHOULD be able to defend myself (while moving backwards). This isn't the Gaza Strip, it's a video game.

+1
Most games are not supposed to be as realistic as real is, it takes the fun out of it.

ragejg 09-30-10 10:50 PM

Well put, gentlemen. :thumbsup:

I agree, BUT it's nice when some new real-life details seep into games (the visceral feeling of running in Mirror's Edge, problematic guns in Far Cry 2, cracking mask in Metro 2033 etc.) ... have there been any that have been rejected or poorly received? I can't come up with anything specific at the moment, but maybe there are some examples out there...

bob saget 09-30-10 10:57 PM

problematic guns = retarded imo. STALKER did the same thing....
cracking mask = fine. it didnt interfere to much with gameplay, just made you extra careful. on medium difficulty my mask was never in trouble.
fixing broken car in far cry 2= again annoying

i really wanna try mirrors edge....

ViN86 09-30-10 11:55 PM

Let's bump up the realism. You get one life. Ever. You buy the game and die online, then you can no longer play online.

There are no respawns in RL.