nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Blu-Rays and updates... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=155721)

Redeemed 10-03-10 04:38 PM

Blu-Rays and updates...
 
Sooo... just curious. What is it with them and updates? Never had to do this with any DVD player, be it living room based or in my computer. Why do you have to update your blu-ray players?

To my understanding the discs are unchanged, thus the lasers or any other component wouldn't need to be modified. Why the updates?

Is this related to DRM in any way?

bacon12 10-03-10 04:57 PM

Re: Blu-Rays and updates...
 
It is. Also the format was far from finished when it emerged victorious over HDDVD, they also are constantly adding in crap that no one cares about. I don't want a social network whilst I am watching a movie. <.>

Redeemed 10-03-10 05:10 PM

Re: Blu-Rays and updates...
 
Yeah, that's about what I figured.

Really lame. :(

Lyme 10-03-10 08:27 PM

Re: Blu-Rays and updates...
 
Thank Sony for pushing the over the top DRM.

Redeemed 10-03-10 09:17 PM

Re: Blu-Rays and updates...
 
Is there a way around this, other than avoiding Blu-Ray altogether? :lol:

Like, a free BD player/decoder that doesn't require updates?

Sazar 10-03-10 09:26 PM

Re: Blu-Rays and updates...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed (Post 2327260)
Sooo... just curious. What is it with them and updates? Never had to do this with any DVD player, be it living room based or in my computer. Why do you have to update your blu-ray players?

To my understanding the discs are unchanged, thus the lasers or any other component wouldn't need to be modified. Why the updates?

Is this related to DRM in any way?

Good thing you bought a PS3 like everyone likely recommended so you wouldn't have to worry about this stuff...

:bleh:

Redeemed 10-03-10 09:29 PM

Re: Blu-Rays and updates...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazar (Post 2327355)
Good thing you bought a PS3 like everyone likely recommended so you wouldn't have to worry about this stuff...

:bleh:

/facepalm

Wow... not even sure how to respond to this. :lol:

ViN86 10-03-10 10:20 PM

Re: Blu-Rays and updates...
 
Good thing about PS3 is it has WiFi so it's nice and easy to update. But for standalone BD players, I can see how it'd be a PITA.

My girlfriend's parents got a BD player and it wouldn't play their discs, so it had to be updated. They had no idea wtf was wrong (as most of the average consumers don't). It's really unnecessary imo.

Look at HDCP. Everyone had to move to it, and now it's pointless. SSDD. :|

Redeemed 10-03-10 10:24 PM

Re: Blu-Rays and updates...
 
Yeah... really stupid. Sony just may end up shooting themselves in the foot over this.

Lyme 10-03-10 11:09 PM

Re: Blu-Rays and updates...
 
There is no way around the updates, they change the keys for HDCP regularly, they add new "mandatory" features, etc.

Lyme 10-03-10 11:10 PM

Re: Blu-Rays and updates...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sazar (Post 2327355)
Good thing you bought a PS3 like everyone likely recommended so you wouldn't have to worry about this stuff...

:bleh:

A solution looking for a problem.

betterdan 10-04-10 06:30 AM

Re: Blu-Rays and updates...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2327373)
Good thing about PS3 is it has WiFi so it's nice and easy to update. But for standalone BD players, I can see how it'd be a PITA.

My girlfriend's parents got a BD player and it wouldn't play their discs, so it had to be updated. They had no idea wtf was wrong (as most of the average consumers don't). It's really unnecessary imo.

Look at HDCP. Everyone had to move to it, and now it's pointless. SSDD. :|

Umm standalones have wifi too.
Mine doesn't however, I've got it hard wired to the router but if it needs an update it tells you and downloads it. Can't get much easier.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.