nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Rally on the Supreme Court to Defend Video Games! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=155916)

Usiel 10-09-10 01:13 PM

Rally on the Supreme Court to Defend Video Games!

Two months ago, I posted here asking for your help in fighting censorship of video games in the Supreme Court. I asked for your testimonies on the social, artistic, and political value of video games to include in the National Youth Rights Association amicus brief. As you can see in the original thread, there was some lively discussion, and in the end we received over 100 individual testimonies submitted as comments on our blog post discussing the case.

Two weeks ago, we submitted to the Court the final version of our brief, which included testimonies written by online commenters Adam, Alexx Souter, Matt, Mikkel Paulson, Narella, and SoulRiser.

Now, I'm once again asking for your help. Oral arguments for this case, Schwarzenegger v. EMA, are being held in the Supreme Court on November 2nd. On this day, the National Youth Rights Association is holding a rally on the steps of the Supreme Court to protest government censorship and the disenfranchisement of minors, those most affected by the California law.

We're currently collecting slogans to be featured on signs and banners. If you've got a media-friendly idea for one that relates to youth rights or the value of video games, let us know in the comments of this post.

What we most need, though, is for you to join us in Washington, D.C. on November 2nd. The larger a turnout we have, the more media attention we will get. This is our chance to fight for our interests on a national stage. This is our chance to dispel negative stereotypes about young people and gamers. This is our chance to make a stand for free speech, video games, and democracy.

The rally is being held on Election Day on the steps of the Supreme Court.

We'll see you there.

t3hl33td4rg0n 10-09-10 02:55 PM

Re: Rally on the Supreme Court to Defend Video Games!

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show....php?p=2301417

Don't think you'll get much support here.

:lol:

Madpistol 10-09-10 07:09 PM

Nation Youth Rights Association?

Really?

Here's the rights that youths should have:

1. The right to go to school and receive a fair, but equal education.
2. The right to food, clothing, and shelter.

... and last, and certainly not least.

3. The right to do as they're told.

The rights of youth are limited because if they were given all the rights/privileges that adults are entitled to, they would make foolish decisions without thinking about the consequences of their actions. You want to know how I know that? Because I was a kid not too long ago, and I made a lot of foolish decisions. Fortunately, I was able to learn from those decisions and become a better person because of it.

The negative stereotypes that you claim to be in place on young people and gamers are indeed negative in nature. However, consider the content that is in today's games. Murder, violence, profanity, and sexuality are the norm. As adults, we've experienced a lot of these things first hand already in our lives (hopefully not murder....) Because of this experience, we have learned and bettered ourselves as human beings. This sort of stuff is a part of counter culture as we know it and should not reach the eyes and ears of our youth until they are mature enough to handle it.

As t3hl33td4rg0n said, I really don't think you're going to get much support here. Most of us are adults and we have a lot more experience than you do to support our reasoning in this issue.

bob saget 10-09-10 07:22 PM

damn kids with their loud rock and roll and skateboarding on the sidewalk....

Viral 10-09-10 11:27 PM

If kids are allowed to play whatever games they want it will ultimately mean more cencorship for games on the whole in the long run. I'm all for 17+ 18+ games being restricted and having those restrictions enforced properly.

bacon12 10-10-10 09:50 AM

Agreed you will get more support for something like this on console gamers forums. Most if not all of the regular posters here are in fact adults.

grey_1 10-10-10 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viral (Post 2329862)
If kids are allowed to play whatever games they want it will ultimately mean more cencorship for games on the whole in the long run. I'm all for 17+ 18+ games being restricted and having those restrictions enforced properly.

This here.

DiscipleDOC 10-10-10 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viral (Post 2329862)

That here. :bleh:

v3rninater 10-10-10 12:42 PM

Nvnews 7 - Usiel 1, I think we have a winner!

crainger 10-11-10 12:42 AM

You need enforceable ratings lest you all face what I face. Games banned outright for everyone.

FearMeAll 10-11-10 04:53 AM

BRAH HA HA HA!!

Kids.

ViN86 10-11-10 10:42 AM

I remember when I used to think I knew everything.

I fully approve of having age restrictions on video games. And if you're not old enough, tough ****.