nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   MOH: SP vs MP - same weapons, sounds, etc? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=156149)

ragejg 10-16-10 04:38 PM

MOH: SP vs MP - same weapons, sounds, etc?

This is not a feedback post so it gets its own thread. :)

I don't have the game yet, and haven't even really watched many reviews on it.

So this whole two-engine thing... is there a sense of consistency between the two - at all? Weapons, sounds, target reticule/HUD etc... ?

Discuss :captnkill:

Mr. Hunt 10-16-10 04:43 PM

Re: MOH: SP vs MP - same weapons, sounds, etc?

Yeah, they both suck.

ragejg 10-16-10 04:46 PM

Way to actually troll, Bryan.

:|

crainger 10-16-10 04:48 PM

MP looks worse, for PS3 anyway. As you can imagine, less control over what's onscreen means you have to try and make it smooth whatever the situation.

Hunt is correct though. At retail price the game sucks, buy it on sale and it's a fun diversion. If you didn't get into CoD or BC2 then maybe give it a go.

ragejg 10-16-10 05:01 PM

I'm sort of gathering that maybe my curiosity about this whole two-engine thing (subject of the OP, reason for posting this thread) isn't shared by others? Meh.

I don't care if it sucks, or if the MP netcode has a bug that is decimating a species of whale in the Indian Ocean due to satellite soundwaves, or if the game box makes a great microwaveable food dish. :p I want to know if you get the same gun(s) in SP as you do MP, the differences in in-game physics between the two, the differences or similarities of gun/environment sounds.

This dichotomy has not happened in an FPS before to my knowledge, and I'd like to know more about it from some of you that have the game.

newparad1gm 10-16-10 08:24 PM

The UE3 engine they use for SP doesn't have the same AA support that the Frostbite engine has in MP, so jaggies galore in SP unless you have an NVIDIA card and change the AA compatibility bit using NVIDIA Inspector. Both SP and MP support triple wide resolutions, but SP doesn't support 3D Vision. I haven't tried 3D Vision in MP yet. Other than that, both engines probably use the same texture, model, and sound assets (no point in remaking them between engines), so those will probably be the same between SP and MP.

nutcrackr 10-16-10 11:06 PM

No the sounds aren't the same and the weapons look different, characters look different, some animations are similar. I don't think its a huge issue aside from things like settings not carrying over. The movement and controls is more of a standout for me. SP is lighter, MP is heavier and clunky. SP has lean and prone and mp has neither. The menu system across both games is mostly consistent

I thought they did a good job with the sounds in the single player based on the ue3 engine. But the Frostbite engine really has amazing soundscapes at times.

FlakMagnet 10-17-10 09:04 AM

You sure SP is UE3? When SP starts, there is a big Frostbite logo and no mention of Unreal Engine at all.

There is also no mention of the Unreal Engine on the packaging.

HiCZoK4 10-17-10 12:26 PM

MP part is FrostBite Bad Company engine... anyway. Reviews suck

bacon12 10-17-10 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt (Post 2332781)
Yeah, they both suck.

From every gamer I trust, I hear the same thing. Shameful that they couldn't get the SP right, I knew the MP was a suckfest.

I too thought it was funny they were using two engines. I am now thinking how the hell does EA not have one of the top 4 game engines in house? How many employees do they have?

FB is still probably 3 years out from being in that category.

ragejg 10-17-10 01:46 PM

Keep this thread on topic please. There is a feedback thread for general game and "suckfest" comments.

JasonPC 10-17-10 02:48 PM

I think even the in-game graphical interface is different? From looking at singleplay footage and having played the MP Beta, they looked very much different.

So odd to have such a lack of consistency. I think out of EA's lust for Call of Duty, they wanted to bring in DICE for multiplay since they knew their work in BC2 held up pretty strong. But the end result is just weird.