nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Lenovo T510 Quadro NVS 3100M failure ... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=156767)

rogmon 11-03-10 12:37 PM

Lenovo T510 Quadro NVS 3100M failure ...
 
The latest drivers from NVidia (260.19.12) do not work for OpenSuse 11.3. My unit has the dual Intel-NVidia graphic cards, but only the 'nvidia' driver is loaded. The 'nvidia-xconfig' utility seems to generate a bad configuration and I have not been able to tweak it to life. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Roger

NvFuchs 11-03-10 01:47 PM

Re: Lenovo T510 Quadro NVS 3100M failure ...
 
Please create and upload a nvidia bug report as stated in the stickies, otherwhise the only thing we can do is guessing.

Fuchs

dk75 11-04-10 02:41 PM

Re: Lenovo T510 Quadro NVS 3100M failure ...
 
No need.
It is Optimus model.
It is not supported under Linux by nVidia.
It is just expensive brick here.

Go there -> https://launchpad.net/~hybrid-graphics-linux
and there -> http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/
and pray for success...
or sell it.

NvFuchs 11-04-10 02:49 PM

Re: Lenovo T510 Quadro NVS 3100M failure ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dk75 (Post 2342143)
No need.
It is Optimus model.
It is not supported under Linux by nVidia.

This is probably wrong.

The T510/T410 models are usually _not_ available as optimus models, contrary to different reports earlier. And if, then the Intel card can be turned off via BIOS. Please do not provide such misinformation instead of helping people.

Go and hijack other threads, until we have at least a bug report to make sure what's happening instead of painting everything black first.

Thanks.

Fuchs

zimiq 11-05-10 09:13 AM

Re: Lenovo T510 Quadro NVS 3100M failure ...
 
Latest bios says "Added support for NVIDIA Optimus models."

dk75 11-05-10 12:55 PM

Re: Lenovo T510 Quadro NVS 3100M failure ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NvFuchs (Post 2342146)
This is probably wrong.

The T510/T410 models are usually _not_ available as optimus models, contrary to different reports earlier. And if, then the Intel card can be turned off via BIOS. Please do not provide such misinformation instead of helping people.

Go and hijack other threads, until we have at least a bug report to make sure what's happening instead of painting everything black first.

Thanks.

Fuchs

Oh really really really... So Lenovo US don't know what laptops they selling at thier online shop?
http://tinyurl.com/2uotjzb
They offer 3 T510 models - 2 with IntelHD only and one with... NV3100M Optimus (nana2)

PS: OK, there is some people at hybrid-graphics-linux mailings that own T410 NVS3100M and they report that they can't load nVidia chip in INEGRATED or AUTOMATIC BIOS settings and that there is DISCRETE setting too.
So maybe, just maybe, go to BIOS and switch your GFX to DISCRETE mode.
But IIRC it won't remain. GFX BIOS settings will switch to AUTOMATIC mode after power down.
Happy BIOS switching every time you power up your laptop...

TrevorNT 11-11-10 05:12 PM

Re: Lenovo T510 Quadro NVS 3100M failure ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dk75 (Post 2342688)
Oh really really really... So Lenovo US don't know what laptops they selling at thier online shop?
http://tinyurl.com/2uotjzb
They offer 3 T510 models - 2 with IntelHD only and one with... NV3100M Optimus (nana2)

PS: OK, there is some people at hybrid-graphics-linux mailings that own T410 NVS3100M and they report that they can't load nVidia chip in INEGRATED or AUTOMATIC BIOS settings and that there is DISCRETE setting too.
So maybe, just maybe, go to BIOS and switch your GFX to DISCRETE mode.
But IIRC it won't remain. GFX BIOS settings will switch to AUTOMATIC mode after power down.
Happy BIOS switching every time you power up your laptop...

Okay, this is definitely wrong. My T410 (w/ the NVS 3100m, switchable graphics if you're using Windows) works just fine in Linux, no configuration necessary*.

*I did tweak the initial xorg.conf slightly to get the brightness setting to work - not something that's essential to the function of the device but it's nice to have working.

I'm using Arch Linux, currently driver 260.19.21 but I originally installed driver version 260.19.12 and the xorg.conf worked just fine. I didn't make any BIOS modifications or whatever.

If you post your xorg.conf file I might be able to see where it's going wrong.

-TrevorNT

chiron80 01-07-11 05:48 PM

Re: Lenovo T510 Quadro NVS 3100M failure ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dk75 (Post 2342688)
OK, there is some people at hybrid-graphics-linux mailings that own T410 NVS3100M and they report that they can't load nVidia chip in INEGRATED or AUTOMATIC BIOS settings and that there is DISCRETE setting too.
So maybe, just maybe, go to BIOS and switch your GFX to DISCRETE mode.
But IIRC it won't remain. GFX BIOS settings will switch to AUTOMATIC mode after power down.
Happy BIOS switching every time you power up your laptop...

I'm most likely going to purchase a Lenovo Thinkpad T510 this weekend. I can choose between just the NVIDIA card, and the NVIDIA card with Optimus. Based on this and other threads, it looks like I can go with the Optimus version and still use the NVIDIA card in Linux, as long as I choose the "DISCRETE" setting in the BIOS. However, this comment about having to switch a setting in the BIOS every time I power up my laptop has me worried. Can anyone else confirm the presence or lack of this behavior?

Thanks,
- Ben

dk75 01-08-11 03:40 AM

Re: Lenovo T510 Quadro NVS 3100M failure ...
 
As far as I've seen T510 was no go with Optimus where T410 was configurable enough, but maybe something changed.

dk75 01-08-11 03:49 AM

Re: Lenovo T510 Quadro NVS 3100M failure ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevorNT (Post 2346053)
Okay, this is definitely wrong. My T410 (w/ the NVS 3100m, switchable graphics if you're using Windows) works just fine in Linux, no configuration necessary*.

Clarify.
  1. you run your desktop and not baffle what's going on since it works
  2. you run your desktop and you are shure it is Intel card doing and nVidia is powered down
  3. you run your desktop and you are shure it is nVidia card doing

any prof of that statements would be fine as to ensure future users that it is doing what they want (since at net there it is no such definitive statements)

eddy_crim 02-21-11 04:37 PM

Re: Lenovo T510 Quadro NVS 3100M failure ...
 
Hi all

I have a (new) T510 with Nvidia optimus 3100M and i was having the problems described above. The solution was to grab the latest drivers - 260.19.36 at time of writing but also to go into the bios and disable optimus. One i has done that i was up and running.

just to be clear you can definitely disable optimus in the t510 bios


im running ubuntu 10.10 32-bit


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.