nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   PCLinuxos (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=157562)

Drolfrawd 11-29-10 02:55 PM

PCLinuxos
 
Has anyone used and willing to comment on PCLinuxos.
I am currently downloading it and will give it a go, just would like to hear comment.

DiscipleDOC 11-29-10 03:32 PM

Re: PCLinuxos
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drolfrawd (Post 2357045)
Has anyone used and willing to comment on PCLinuxos.
I am currently downloading it and will give it a go, just would like to hear comment.

Looks pretty nice. I will stick with my OpenSuse though....:)

Bman212121 11-29-10 03:33 PM

Re: PCLinuxos
 
It seemed okay. Didn't use it too long but it seemed like it had promise. I think I liked trying out Mint more though. In the end I usually just go back to Fedora. Give it a shot though.

Drolfrawd 11-29-10 03:36 PM

Re: PCLinuxos
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bman212121 (Post 2357075)
It seemed okay. Didn't use it too long but it seemed like it had promise. I think I liked trying out Mint more though. In the end I usually just go back to Fedora. Give it a shot though.

Thanks. i have never settled on anything yet, but i will try this and offer up my op

Bman212121 11-29-10 03:41 PM

Re: PCLinuxos
 
Just cruising through some of your other threads. Did you ever get your graphics working on debian?

Curious though what your goal for using linux is. That alone might help deciding an OS to use. I generally just install the OS, load the drivers, play gnibbles. :lol: Might mess around with apache, surf the web, but then I usually go back to my windows box so I can play games and use the programs that don't work on linux.

Drolfrawd 11-29-10 03:57 PM

Re: PCLinuxos
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bman212121 (Post 2357085)
Just cruising through some of your other threads. Did you ever get your graphics working on debian?

Curious though what your goal for using linux is. That alone might help deciding an OS to use. I generally just install the OS, load the drivers, play gnibbles. :lol: Might mess around with apache, surf the web, but then I usually go back to my windows box so I can play games and use the programs that don't work on linux.

Nothing much more than you use it for your self. I work in IT and get bored with windows from time to time. Presently I have no new games so I am getting itch again. I might end up with Linux one day as my main op, but for one reason or another that day has never come yet.

As for Debian i never did get it going properly:(

Bman212121 11-29-10 05:38 PM

Re: PCLinuxos
 
Hmm... That's exactly how it do it. I've tried lots of distros, but for one that I just like to go back to it's usually fedora.

For your debian install I can think of two simple suggestions. Make sure you have the exact case of every single letter. Linux is case sensitive so even if you miss capatializing one letter it won't find the file. The other thing is that instead of using "sh" you can also use "./" so ./NVI* and that should work. It might launch with a wildcard, if not you'll have to type the whole thing in.

I really don't see using linux as a desktop replacement, but if you had some server tasks to offload it would work well for that. Right now I'm messing around with minecraft, so I need somewhere to run web, mysql, and the game's java file for the server. Linux would work good for that. If you have a goal to accomplish I find it to be a lot more enjoyable. For something as simple as that you'll need to figure out how to use apache, mysql, iptables if you have them enabled, ssh, samba, vnc.

Drolfrawd 11-30-10 01:44 PM

Re: PCLinuxos
 
Um.. This is good, very good. Nvidia driver gets installed when installing os, the features are exactly what you would want. Firefox, Thunderbird installed by default and it looks amazing with out even touching it. Really good Windows alternative if you have the time to try it.

Drolfrawd 11-30-10 01:48 PM

Re: PCLinuxos
 
[IMG]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/5497/snapshot1q.png Uploaded with [url=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.u[/IMG]

Just to say this is the default look before I get to work on the eye candy.

Bman212121 11-30-10 06:15 PM

Re: PCLinuxos
 
Do you know what package manager they use? Think where I ran into the issue was once I started trying to install things it wouldn't always go smoothly.

Trying getting some other applications and see if that works better now. :)

Drolfrawd 12-01-10 01:32 PM

Re: PCLinuxos
 
synaptic package manager, and i cant think of anything to download and install as it appears that most things that i have thought of , are already in the package manager.
I'll post back some time later in the week. Keep in mind i am not a huge fanboy of linux , i like it yes, so my opinions are unbiased.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.