nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows XP And Vista (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Is this "normal" RAM usage at idle in Windows Vista? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=157659)

Kain 12-03-10 01:08 PM

Is this "normal" RAM usage at idle in Windows Vista?

1 Attachment(s)
Used the computer for about 10 days after a fresh format of Windows Vista 64-bit (and after installing all the drivers/programs).

Is this normal or too high for idle RAM usage after 10 days of use?

Bearclaw 12-03-10 01:42 PM

That's about right. Vista is a memory hog.

bob saget 12-03-10 04:48 PM

Re: Is this "normal" RAM usage at idle in Windows Vista?

Yea mine is at 1.75 with a ton of p0r- i mean, homework-related programs open.....:bleh:

Drolfrawd 12-03-10 05:49 PM

Vista has a young brother call Windows ME , both are weird and sucky

Bearclaw 12-03-10 05:51 PM

PRonwork, Bob?

Lyme 12-25-10 01:12 PM

That is right, and it is appropriate. People in general have the wrong impression about what should happen when a computer is idle, they expect that during that time it will swap out everything possible to disk to leave the most ram available as possible. The question is: why? What that does is forces things to be loaded back into ram when you start using the pc again, and as the pc was idle (not being used) why not fill up the ram for optimal usage.

My preference is to have as much loaded into fast ram than swapped out on slow disk.

og-phantom 02-17-11 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kain (Post 2358916)
Used the computer for about 10 days after a fresh format of Windows Vista 64-bit (and after installing all the drivers/programs).

Is this normal or too high for idle RAM usage after 10 days of use?

Same vista (64bit Ult), mine is at 1.32GB out of 8GB being used...So your about right. I have steam running also, nothing else...

Revs 02-17-11 03:49 AM

Have you disabled Superfetch? If not, you should :)

HiCZoK4 02-17-11 07:50 AM

:O
This seems way too much... I am not using vista for 2 years now, but I remember it was around 700 at max for me.
Windows 7 is 500-600 on my pc.

so 1500 is way too much imo, even If You are running some backgrounbd stuff

Revs 02-17-11 09:10 AM

If you have loads of free RAM, the OS will keeps some of the things you loaded then closed in the memory for faster loading next time, until that memory space is required elsewhere, in which case it is freed up for use. After a couple of days of being on, my rig can show over 2Gb in use and that's with W7.

nekrosoft13 02-17-11 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyme (Post 2369863)
That is right, and it is appropriate. People in general have the wrong impression about what should happen when a computer is idle, they expect that during that time it will swap out everything possible to disk to leave the most ram available as possible. The question is: why? What that does is forces things to be loaded back into ram when you start using the pc again, and as the pc was idle (not being used) why not fill up the ram for optimal usage.

My preference is to have as much loaded into fast ram than swapped out on slow disk.

+1

tweaked 02-24-11 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyme (Post 2369863)

+1