nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Thinking about getting 3D Vision... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=157720)

Intel17 12-05-10 11:10 AM

Thinking about getting 3D Vision...

OK, so I've got $500 -- either I'll save it for a 28nm GPU, or I'm going to get 3D Vision (need a monitor, too). Is 3D Vision really worth it, or is it just a gimmick like those red/blue glasses for movies? Anybody with experience in this stuff want to let me know what the difference is over regular 2D gaming?

Thanks!

grey_1 12-05-10 12:33 PM

Re: Thinking about getting 3D Vision...

I'll be posting impressions soon.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=157700

anandtech's review on the system I'm getting is linked in there. The kit shipped today, so hopefully I'll have it before my current monitor dies. :lol:

Muppet 12-06-10 12:43 AM

I'm a bit biased when it comes to 3D gaming. For me personally it made a huge difference. In fact I haven't been that much blown away since the first time I fired up GLQuake on my new Voodoo based video card. For me 3D is the best thing to happen to gaming for ages. You just feel so immersed in the game. It really does feel like you are part of the gaming world around you.

But like all things, some people aren't as impressed as I am. If you can, I would recommend you go and check it out. Then you can make up your own mind.

By the way the 3D effect is nothing like the old Blue/Red glasses. Even movies like Avatar have nothing on what Nvidia has produced with 3D vision. The 3D effect can be increased or decreased. You can have as much depth and popout as you can handle.

carappliancebil 12-08-10 05:25 AM

MRV-922 1600-Watt 2-Channel Car Power Amplifier (SZC2433)
"Description:
Highlights

* Take your car audio to a higher performance level.The MRV Series amplifiers features the high power you expect. With fast and easy audio system setup, this amplifier is compatible with almost any speaker system.

Features

* 4 x 400w / 2 x 800w
* Bridgeable high power amplifier
* Mos-fet switching supply
* Built in low-/ high pass x-over
* RCA line out
* Thermal-/speaker short circuit protection

Specifications

* MAX Power Output: 800W x 2channel
* Size: 340*250*55MM
"

Rollo 12-08-10 05:54 AM

3d Vision is the only thing you can do for your computer to raise your level of immersion in games significantly.

There are a lot of games coming out now optimized for 3d Vision as well, NVIDIA's doing a nice job working with developers enhance the experience.

One of the things I like about it is replaying old favorite games and seeing them in true 3d.

Smokey 12-08-10 07:21 AM

Well this 3D isnt anything new, the only thing new here is the LCD monitors that support 120Hz. I had my first 3d glasses back in 1998/99, and was supported only for Nvidia cards, though Nvidia had nothing to do with this tech including drivers. So have things changed now Nvidia has decided to do something with this tech? I havent had the chance to see 3D vision, but in the day when I had my 3d glasses, it really only added depth to games, which I loved, and my games became darker because of the shutter lens tech. My adivice would be to try 3d vision for yourself first, before buying anything, I myself am interested in seeing how 3d vision will pull off 3d films, as I prefer to build HTPCs, I would love my next HTPC to be 3D ready for games and films/TV if possible.

grey_1 12-08-10 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppet (Post 2360115)
I'm a bit biased when it comes to 3D gaming. For me personally it made a huge difference. In fact I haven't been that much blown away since the first time I fired up GLQuake on my new Voodoo based video card. For me 3D is the best thing to happen to gaming for ages. You just feel so immersed in the game. It really does feel like you are part of the gaming world around you.

But like all things, some people aren't as impressed as I am. If you can, I would recommend you go and check it out. Then you can make up your own mind.

By the way the 3D effect is nothing like the old Blue/Red glasses. Even movies like Avatar have nothing on what Nvidia has produced with 3D vision. The 3D effect can be increased or decreased. You can have as much depth and popout as you can handle.

See the bolded. For me personally, the 120hz is something I will no longer do without, love it.

WRT the 3d experience, so far Batman AA, Metro 2033 and L4D are the only games I've tried with it, with the 3d set to about 50% now. I have to say I am truly blown away by this tech.

The only issue I have so far is that I can't change anything to alleviate flicker in my peripheral vision or 3d disables itself. My keyboard is backlit, and as I game with the lights off, I can see it in the bottom of my vision field. Keeping the eyes raised slightly is all I can do.

Batman AA also suffers massive slowdowns to single digit fps, but only during the scarecrow mini-games. Other than that it's just fine. I haven't had time to really tweak the in-game settings to see what exactly is causing that.

So far though I highly recommend it. I also like how the drivers pop up a message for each game you fire up telling you how the game is rated for 3d along with tips for what settings to disable or enable for the best experience.

:thumbsup: from me all the way.

MUYA 12-15-10 01:36 AM

I saw Street Fighter and some COD in 3D....was blown away!!! Although there were some compatibility problems with street fighter menu screens but during gameplay..WOW!!!