nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   CPUs, Motherboards And Memory (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   4GB or 8GB? (for an AMD system) (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=157920)

LydianKnight 12-12-10 04:36 PM

4GB or 8GB? (for an AMD system)

I'm still thinking on how much memory I should get for my system, when I build it, that's it, I'm just doing some planning for now...

The thing is... DDR3-1333 got quite cheap here in Spain (at least) and I can get an 8GB kit of DDR3-1333 (2x4GB) @ CL9 / 1.50V from Exceleram (with the Blue Culvert heatspreaders) for around 117 euros, and around half that price for 4GB (2x2GB) on the same settings (CL9 / 1.50V).

So far, with all the games I have, no problems related to lack of memory... and I doubt the coming games like F.E.A.R. 3, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, BRINK and many others will really ask for more than 2/2.5GB of physical memory, but still...

for making a future-proof system (or as future-proof as I can) 8GB would be the ideal option, but I'm also on a relatively tight budget and I don't want to spend more than the strictly necessary with a bit of future proofing.

So... what do you think? Will 4GB suffice for some time (at least for games coming in 2011) or should I really strive for those 8GB?

Madpistol 12-12-10 05:13 PM

Re: 4GB or 8GB? (for an AMD system)

As long as games stay mostly 32-bit, there's no need for more than 4GB of memory. Once games move on to 64-bit natively, then we'll probably need 8GB. I have 8GB of my system, and I've never been able to run the memory up above 3.5GB.

You're probably fine with 4GB at the moment.

Lyme 12-22-10 08:55 PM

I've also got 8gb in my rig and have a hard time using more than 4gb at once. That being said you are going to want to install a 64bit os, simply because the memory addressing limitations of 32bit.

Mr Bigman 12-22-10 11:07 PM

Don't bother, because their is a filter on everything to keep everyone in choice, even among those still
on a 32 bit platform. Full 64 bit only gaming is still years ahead, and we had this question before, so the verdict is still in, stay with 4 for now.

Redeemed 12-23-10 01:40 AM

Honestly- I'd max the RAM out.

Maybe I multi-task more than others, but I can quite easily fill the 4GB of RAM I have now. Which is why I'm stuck using a pagefile. :( I'm planning a rather large over haul of my rigs, and part of that is gonna' be maxing it at 16GB. I don't wanna' have to use a page file for quite some time. :D :p :lol:

wheeljack12 12-27-10 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed (Post 2369111)
Honestly- I'd max the RAM out.

Maybe I multi-task more than others, but I can quite easily fill the 4GB of RAM I have now. Which is why I'm stuck using a pagefile. :( I'm planning a rather large over haul of my rigs, and part of that is gonna' be maxing it at 16GB. I don't wanna' have to use a page file for quite some time. :D :p :lol:

Redeemed, you and I are the overspenders according to Lydian Knight. He's not going for 16gb, trust me. He knows I would tell him to go for the 8gb so he doesn't have to spend "big" euros on his part for some time to come.

LydianKnight 12-27-10 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheeljack12 (Post 2370514)
Redeemed, you and I are the overspenders according to Lydian Knight. He's not going for 16gb, trust me. He knows I would tell him to go for the 8gb so he doesn't have to spend "big" euros on his part for some time to come.

Hahaha your comment was funny, I like it in a way, but you're wrong :p

You can do whatever you want with your money, I prefer to go for a cheaper setup, I don't really need 16GB as the only program justifying it would be Photoshop and for the occasional photo re-touching I do, it's not worth the money or the effort (but for me, it's perfectly ok if you want to go for it, you, Redeemed, or whoever is the one doing it).

8GB was my initial thought, and still is... 4GB is what my 'old' system had and I didn't hit the limit with any application but still... I don't want to bite the bullet, so your recommendation is essentially right... 8GB is what I'm probably going to get (as long as I can get my hands on a good offer, I'm not paying more than 150 for the whole lot).

Dazz 01-05-11 04:32 PM

I know supreme commander can quite happly eat 3.5GB (max for a 32bit application) which does not leave a whole lot for windows. Thats why i am thinking of getting either 2x1GB memory or another 2x2GB PC6400.

grey_1 01-05-11 04:39 PM

A 2Gb stick of my G.Skill just died and given the prices I just opted for 2x4Gb.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tent-_-text-_-

I would rather have and not need. Besides, if a stick of this kit dies I still have 4Gb left.

Redundancy ftw. :)

Roadhog 01-05-11 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_1 (Post 2373274)
A 2Gb stick of my G.Skill just died and given the prices I just opted for 2x4Gb.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tent-_-text-_-

I would rather have and not need. Besides, if a stick of this kit dies I still have 4Gb left.

Redundancy ftw. :)

ever hear of a warranty?

grey_1 01-05-11 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog (Post 2373278)
ever hear of a warranty?

Why are you always such a wise ass?

My dead ram will go out after I have something to replace the last stick with...see how simple that is?

Lyme 01-05-11 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dazz (Post 2373271)
I know supreme commander can quite happly eat 3.5GB (max for a 32bit application) which does not leave a whole lot for windows. Thats why i am thinking of getting either 2x1GB memory or another 2x2GB PC6400.

Even using /3gb or /PAE with 32bit windows you are capped at 3gb application address space out of a max of 4gb. For 64bit windows this does not apply.