nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Feedback Forum (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Politikrap (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15799)

AshG 08-01-03 05:49 PM

Politikrap

I have a suggestion, since I know vB supports it...

The political threadcrapping in OF is driving me crazy. Just about everything gets turned into a political pissing contest, regardless of what the thread was even about. While there are some threads that you know going into are political (I avoid those), seeing vamp's romp about calling out teh 1337 ROM hax0rs be hijacked and turned into a debate over the free world's contributions is, well, tiring.

Anyway, I was wondering if I could recommend the use of the Split and Merge functions to clean up the politikrap that's soaking the fun out of OF? I'm almost afraid to go in there anymore. It wouldn't be that hard to strip out the random acts of jingoism and merge them into a thread called "Political Debate" or something similar.

Just trying to preserve the fun for everyone...

Matthyahuw 08-01-03 06:49 PM

I don't want to sound like an ass Ash (athough it's going to come out that way), but no one here cares anymore...just don't bother going there. And you can't have immature ppl as mods, it just doesn't work...

I've stopped replying to those threads alltogether now...

EDIT...removed flame...

StealthHawk 08-01-03 09:06 PM

Bah, every post turns into a political pissing match in OF.

saturnotaku 08-01-03 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by StealthHawk
Bah, every post turns into a political pissing match in OF.
But unlike the rest of us formers, you actually have the power to do something about it. Acknowledgement without action is just as good as ignoring the problem.

The Baron 08-01-03 10:21 PM

And if I actively patrolled the OF, removing those threads/posts that are the same old political crap we read every day, I would be called a Nazi.

AshG 08-01-03 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Baron
And if I actively patrolled the OF, removing those threads/posts that are the same old political crap we read every day, I would be called a Nazi.
I've been there. I have the battle scars. I know what it takes. If they don't like it, there's a thousand other forums they can go to. The point is - you're a Peacekeeper. You've got to follow in the footsteps of Beefster, Eesaposabeafiahcrakah, JuiceZ...

I've cleaned out far worse - I had the nearly singular pleasure of dealing with nam^ng's final days. It's doable. And you'll be all the more respected for it in the end by the people that want to see OF turn back into OF.

Make this Peacekeeper alumnus proud - you know what you have to do. :)

saturnotaku 08-01-03 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AshG
Make this Peacekeeper alumnus proud - you know what you have to do. :)
Same here. If they give 'ya hell, that's too bad for them. If you (Baron) go this route, I'll have your back 100%.

StealthHawk 08-02-03 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by saturnotaku
But unlike the rest of us formers, you actually have the power to do something about it. Acknowledgement without action is just as good as ignoring the problem.
The problem being that poltical pissmatches may be unslightly, but unless the flames start rolling in, it's not breaking the forum rules. There is nothing inherently wrong with several people arguing back and forth with each other...unless they are thread crapping or something. As Vamp's post was mentioned in this thread, I would expect him to be able to take care of himself if the thought his thread was taking a wrong direction.

I haven't seen a post from OF reported in a long time. And I'm sure as hell not going to read through every post in each thread there to see if that is the case. PsychoSy and Vamp participate a lot in OF, I would expect that they would stop egregrious behavior.

If you are implying that you think I should have to read through every post in every thread on these forums to find and quell rowdy members, I think that is very unfair. I already do that for several other forums.

If there are any specific threads you want me to take a look at, you can always PM me or use the "Report this post to a moderator" link in the bottom right hand corner of each post, in which case all moderators will be made aware.

vampireuk 08-02-03 02:57 AM

The political discussions do get heated at times but thats what you get when you have two people with completly different views. I always watch the threads to make sure that a bit of friendly ribbing never goes too far. We are all friends in these threads but we just enjoy our debates too much:D

Quote:

And you can't have immature ppl as mods, it just doesn't work...
Then leave if you have a problem, many people are quite happy with how we moderate and how the boards are. Political discussions are bound to happen, pssst there was a war not too long ago;)

Edit: As for the hijacking I do try my best to keep that minimal. Any hijacking from now on will be removed when I see it, and there is still plenty of non political stuff in there to read. :)

sytaylor 08-02-03 07:24 AM

You have to allow some debate to take place, and while i agree the forum does have a few members who's argument methods leave a little to be desired, i don't think the debates are at fault.

I'm aware the threads are very closley watched and, I, personally watch them quite close out of interest. Its very rare things get un civil, humour is productive if used in context and later explained if its misunderstood.

Classic example is when me and 2fast4u lock horns.. check old threads, you see any anger towards each other? No!! Its true of most people here.

The fact that most threads are becoming polotical shows that a lot of the board wants to talk about it. It does not stop other threads, and i truley believe that threads aren't allowed to go out of hand.

The name of an old shakespeare play comes to mind.. "Much ado about nothing" :cool:

2fast4u 08-02-03 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sytaylor

Classic example is when me and 2fast4u lock horns.. check old threads, you see any anger towards each other? No!! Its true of most people here.

exactly. there is a line between politics and the rest. you can get heated up about a topic and still be friends.

saturnotaku 08-02-03 08:30 AM

Nobody has said debate should be outlawed. We're saying that it seems that OF has become nothing but political "debate" rehashing the same issues over and over and over and over again. And this whole liberal/conservative bashing is too much. Let people have their views, respect them, get a life and move on.