nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Nvidia 8600GT on Dell Inspiron 1520 / start in tty1 login console mode (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=158053)

sherbieny 12-17-10 09:41 AM

Nvidia 8600GT on Dell Inspiron 1520 / start in tty1 login console mode

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I tried most methods suggested on many sites to install drivers

## through the additional driver panel only
## through the Nvidia.run file I downloaded
## through the terminal using apt-get

all failed to start ubuntu gui it takes me to the console login and I noticed it says "saned disabled" edit /etc/..something..

this problem made me install ubuntu again three times and every time I activate the driver then install the driver Nvidia.run or through apt-get and both leads to a black screen tty1 login

so what to do now I installed and removed many things and I won't reinstall ubuntu again

Also I typed compiz and this came on

root@ubuntu:/home/sherbieny# compiz
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":1.0".
compiz (core) - Fatal: Root visual is not a GL visual
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :1.0

Launching fallback window manager

please help I wan't to install properly so that I can start normally and enable the extra visual effects and the custom effects

Please elaborate the steps clearly

New Info:
when I enter nvidia-settings : server X opens and says
You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server

when i enter nvidia-xconfig as root and restart nothing happens

and when I enter:
nvidia-detector it says none

nvidia-smi

Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 260.19.21,
but this NVIDIA driver component has version 260.19.29. Please make
sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components
have the same version.
Failed to allocate an RM client
Could not allocate resources!
root@ubuntu:/home/sherbieny# apt-get update kernel
E: The update command takes no arguments

A new and very exciting error everyone
now also the windows 7 that I have besides linux has also crashed and cannot open the login window hahahahahahahahahah I don't know whats happening all I know is that few hours ago I logged in to windows normally now I cannot login to either one of them and the funny part is: I'm working on my thesis on this computer and I cannot work anymore and I'm supposed to meet with the professor on monday hahahahahhahahah

pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaseeeeeeeeeeeee help

Lauwenmark78 12-18-10 01:09 AM

Re: Nvidia 8600GT on Dell Inspiron 1520 / start in tty1 login console mode

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherbieny (Post 2366357)
all failed to start ubuntu gui it takes me to the console login and I noticed it says "saned disabled" edit /etc/..something..

It would help to have the proper message, but if it is indeed about saned, then it is not related to your display problem: saned is part of the scanner management subsystem.

Quote:

this problem made me install ubuntu again three times and every time I activate the driver then install the driver Nvidia.run or through apt-get and both leads to a black screen tty1 login
Quote:

Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 260.19.21,
but this NVIDIA driver component has version 260.19.29. Please make
sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components
have the same version.
This is because the NVIDIA kernel and X drivers are not of the same version; to solve this, reinstall the drivers. Unless you have a specific reason to do otherwise, use the driver packages supplied by Ubuntu. I think that the driver is packaged as "nvidia-current" under Ubuntu Maverick, so what you'd need to do is:

Code:

sudo aptitude install nvidia-current
if it was not yet installed, or
Code:

sudo aptitude reinstall nvidia-current
if it already was (but is broken).

It is not recommended to mix distribution packages and the nvidia binary installer, as they can conflict with each other. Unless you really know how to manually fix things, do not attempt to use the .bin and stay with the distribution packages.

Quote:

root@ubuntu:/home/sherbieny# apt-get update kernel
E: The update command takes no arguments
"update" is when you want to update the list of available packages and their versions. It takes no argument. aptitude is usually the preferred way of managing packages, BTW. To upgrade all installed packages, you'd usually do:

Code:

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

This will fetch the package lists from Ubuntu servers, then upgrade anything that doesn't create package conflicts.

If you want to upgrade a specific package, you use "install" instead:

Code:

sudo aptitude install foo
Will upgrade the package "foo" if it is already installed and a new version is available.

For your NVIDIA problem: first, I'd prevent Ubuntu to load the Nouveau driver - some of the messages in your attached logs seem to suggest it may have been active. Edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf :
Code:

sudo nano -w /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
and at the end of it, add the following line:
Code:

blacklist nouveau
Then reboot - this will prevent Ubuntu to load the Nouveau driver.

Second, reconfigure X to use the VESA driver and see if it starts - for this, you need to edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file:
Code:

sudo nano -w /etc/X11/xorg.conf
And change:
Code:

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Device0"
    Driver        "nvidia"
    VendorName    "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

to:
Code:

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Device0"
    Driver        "vesa"
    VendorName    "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

It won't get you hardware acceleration for graphics, but at least you should be able to get the GUI.

I'd also suggest trying to remove any unnecessary line in xorg.conf - current versions of X do a good job at auto-detecting hardware. For reference, here is what my xorg.conf looks like on my laptop:

Code:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier    "Default Layout"
    Screen        "Default Screen" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier    "Keyboard0"
    Driver        "keyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier    "Mouse0"
    Driver        "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "auto"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/psaux"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "NV310"
    Driver        "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Device        "NV310"
    SubSection    "Display"
        Modes      "nvidia-auto-select"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Quote:

now also the windows 7 that I have besides linux has also crashed and cannot open the login window hahahahahahahahahah I don't know whats happening all I know is that few hours ago I logged in to windows normally now I cannot login to either one of them and the funny part is: I'm working on my thesis on this computer and I cannot work anymore and I'm supposed to meet with the professor on monday hahahahahhahahah
Rule of thumb: never experiment with new software you're not familiar with on a critical computer at a critical time :).
To recover your Windows 7, I'd suggest using the repair functions available by booting from your Windows 7 installation disk.

Hope this helps!