nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Software (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Video Converter that uses FFDSHOW and keeps AC3 and does Batch (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=158089)

FearMeAll 12-18-10 12:28 PM

Video Converter that uses FFDSHOW and keeps AC3 and does Batch

Hey I've used so many different video converters and it seems like none of them have all the features I want. And I mean NONE!

I'm looking for a video converter that will convert any file to MKV and KEEP original audio as well as have the ability to run a queu. With pretty much EVERY video converter they always HAVE to tamper with audio and it seems like in 2010 it's you just cannot keep 5.1 audio. What's the deal??? They always give an option for mono or stereo..As it is now if I want to convert a file I have to remux every single one with the original vob file to put 5.1 ac3 back into it.

Also it's pretty clear that FFDSHOW with the H264 codec rocks for video quality but the only program that I've found that will use it and run batch files is Riverpast Video Cleaner..but guess what...it forces to the audio to stereo MP3.

These are the video converters I've tried and the issues each one has:

1.AVS Video Converter - Forces stereo unless you encode in WMV but has no queue support. When you do select 5.1 WMA audio it ruins the subwoofer sound and makes it too loud and sloppy. Also every video I've converted in whatever codec has noticable banding no matter the bitrate.

2. Riverpast video Cleaner - Forces stereo. Can get reference quality video though using FFDSHOW and will run down a queue.

3. Xilisoft video converter - Can't get reference video quality unless insane bitrates are used. Also forces stereo and won't convert to MKV. Closest you get is MP4. Has queue support.

4. Auto GK - Has queue support. Does keep AC3 audio. But can't get reference quality video regardless of bitrate due to only supporting xvid codec or divx. (reference quality means things as fine as film grain stay intact)

5. Divx Plus Converter- Close but no cigar. Has queue support. Keeps original 5.1 audio. Uses h264 codec. However regardless of bitrate a blur filter is put on I suppose to hide problems at low bitrate, but selecting a high bitrate doesn't change the obvious use of blur. There are also almost zero options to configure. This Converter is more suited for old dvd ripped sitcoms, but a no go for movies.

There are more video converters I've tried but those aren't worth mentioning and of course they get rid of 5.1 audio.

Is there something I'm missing? Google searches turn up little because of all the "reviews" you get from vendors swearing up and down how their program does everything. I just want Queue Support, Original Ac3 Audio, and use of a good H264 or X264 codec. Is that just impossible for all these software engineers to produce?

LydianKnight 12-18-10 01:42 PM

Re: Video Converter that uses FFDSHOW and keeps AC3 and does Batch

TMPGEnc Xpress 4.0, it supports all you're asking for plus it has its own VFAPI frameserver so no need (theoretically) to rely on anything else, BUT to be fair, I have to say I use it to convert all my media to WMV, I don't use any other formats (not like I have anything against the other formats, just... Windows Media Player is my player of choice and I prefer to have everything in-house, to say it in a way...) except MP3 for music, and that's about it...

Why don't you get the trial? I'm sure you won't get dissapointed with it ;)

LurkerLito 12-18-10 04:22 PM

I mainly use Avidemux and it works great for what you are trying to do and it's free http://www.avidemux.org

Another one I use is Format Factory also free here : http://www.pcfreetime.com/

ViN86 12-18-10 04:23 PM

Use SUPER.

FearMeAll 12-18-10 04:27 PM

Thank You everyone for your these posts. I've never heard of this software. If you google these things you get bombarded with bad software.

I'll try each on of these out and report back my findings.

TMPGEnc is first up. I hope it's it. I really want a one size fits all converter so bad.

FearMeAll 12-18-10 06:00 PM

ok TMPMpeg- It will not output to mkv. Also it will use the ffdshowcodec for AVI files and the vid quality looks great, however sound output is limited to stereo AGAIN unless you want uncompressed PCM. WTF.

You can output to WMV but the vid quality of FFDshow is what I want and it needs to leave the audio stream alone. Also I can't get the audio to sync with the video when using FFDSHOW and the h264 codec...so it makes that program a little crippled for me.

-edit..ok changing the ffdshow settings to encode in FLV1 fixes the audio sync problem and looks identical. I'm pretty sure FLV1 is just another version of the h264 codec which explains why it looks so good. This program would be perfect now if only it kept the ac3 audio. Oh well it will work fine for TV shows.

LydianKnight 12-19-10 08:54 AM

FLV1 is the FourCC code for 'Flash Video' :p

Regarding multi-channel audio, ugh... tried to encode a sample video into MPEG-4 AVC and other formats and, yeah... don't know why... but it only allows for stereo encoding...

For me it works in the sense I encode everything into WMV so I can have even 7.1 (although I generally encode sound at 384Kbps with 5.1 channel encoding and 24bits for my X-Fi), but don't know how to do it for the other formats... :(

LydianKnight 12-19-10 08:56 AM

Oh, by the way... there's another method if you just want to keep your ac3 files... use the 'MPEG tools' button and you can do multiplexing so... as long as the video and audio are synced, it should do the trick for you (although this is just mind-guessing, don't know if it will work as-is).

FearMeAll 12-19-10 11:33 AM

hmm I did a sample with wmv and it did look pretty good. I encode dvds at a 3000 bitrate just to make sure they look the same and I just encoded a movie at 2000 1 pass and it looked just like the source I used.
Maybe I should switch to WMV and save all the headaches..

Gotta see how tv shows look now if I put them at a low bitrate. I don't like tv shows to be higher than 175megs a piece. If they can look good at that size then I'm done.

-edit..ok wmv takes more space than h264 codec. Even at the same bitrate...doesn't make sense. h264 also still looks better at low bitrates. I'll use it for tv. Surround doesn't matter a whole lot there.

For dvd movies I'll use the bigger wmv vidz with 2 pass encoding just to save the trouble of remuxing 5.1 audio. I've got 4tb of space and counting so it doesn't really matter. It just needs to play well and look good in XBMC.

mcolbourn 12-20-10 03:01 PM

Have you tried using Handbreak at all http://handbrake.fr/

t3hl33td4rg0n 12-20-10 10:21 PM

I was thinking virtualDub or TMPGenc for demuxing and MKVtoolnix for muxing into MKV

Bman212121 12-21-10 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FearMeAll (Post 2367153)
hmm I did a sample with wmv and it did look pretty good. I encode dvds at a 3000 bitrate just to make sure they look the same and I just encoded a movie at 2000 1 pass and it looked just like the source I used.
Maybe I should switch to WMV and save all the headaches..

Gotta see how tv shows look now if I put them at a low bitrate. I don't like tv shows to be higher than 175megs a piece. If they can look good at that size then I'm done.

-edit..ok wmv takes more space than h264 codec. Even at the same bitrate...doesn't make sense. h264 also still looks better at low bitrates. I'll use it for tv. Surround doesn't matter a whole lot there.
For dvd movies I'll use the bigger wmv vidz with 2 pass encoding just to save the trouble of remuxing 5.1 audio. I've got 4tb of space and counting so it doesn't really matter. It just needs to play well and look good in XBMC.

H.264 uses a very advanced compression algothrim.

I'd also suggest handbrake as it has worked well for me in the past. it uses x264 rather than FFDShow and should look as good as if not better. The hardest thing for me was finding a program that would keep the audio and video in sync. Handbrake seemed to be good at that. (Better than MeGui)

Also you don't have to use an mkv container either if you can find another container that will keep your audio intact. I think you can use an mp4 container with ac3 audio and h.264 video.

from handbrake's website

Quote:

HandBrake can now pass-through DTS audio from a source when encoding to the Matroska container, just like it has previously for AC3 audio.