nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   GeForce GTX 460 Drivers Stopped Responding (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=158114)

pkirby11 12-19-10 09:56 AM

GeForce GTX 460 Drivers Stopped Responding

I lurk around here and just had a quick question for you all. I have a GTX 460 and the other day when I got home from work and loaded up IE9 the screen started displaying splotchy red squares and then the screen went blank and came back with a ballon notification that the 260.99 drivers had stopped working. I rebooted, checked the fan and made sure it wasn't over heating. It seemed to only happen when using something in 3D.

So I decided to remove the drivers and reinstall. I used the older ones of off Windows Updated first and so far things seem to be going good. I did get one warning but have seen nothing since then. Played WoW all last night without and glitches. So I'm just wondering have any of you ever experienced this? Is it just the drivers or do you think my card could be going bad? It's EVGA so I got the lifetime warranty but I just wanted to make sure before I RMA'd it.

Maverickman 12-21-10 12:22 PM

Re: GeForce GTX 460 Drivers Stopped Responding

I don't think it's a hardware issue. The 260.99 drivers may not work too well with IE9. Since you haven't been experiencing any problems since your "fix," I wouldn't be too concerned.

MaverickSFO 01-16-11 09:42 PM

I have the same problem with my EVGA 460 1G card. I get the same error 260.99 drivers had stopped responding and have restarted. I get this error so much that it would crash the computer. Once the computer reboots it would start all over again.

I have tried everything to fix this issue. From installing beta drivers to doing a fresh install of windows. The only way i got it to stop was to install the 263.14 drivers i found on this site. but i still notice a few problems with the graphics. But no crashing. I talking to EVGA support and they suggested that i RMA the card.

I have read a few forum post on the net about people having this issue too. Some say its a windows 7 issue some say its the card..

anyone here have any ideas.....

Asus M4N78 Pro
Phenom II 4X 955
Corsair 4G's PC6400
EVGA 460 1G

ViN86 02-03-11 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkirby11 (Post 2367133)
I lurk around here and just had a quick question for you all. I have a GTX 460 and the other day when I got home from work and loaded up IE9 the screen started displaying splotchy red squares and then the screen went blank and came back with a ballon notification that the 260.99 drivers had stopped working. I rebooted, checked the fan and made sure it wasn't over heating. It seemed to only happen when using something in 3D.

So I decided to remove the drivers and reinstall. I used the older ones of off Windows Updated first and so far things seem to be going good. I did get one warning but have seen nothing since then. Played WoW all last night without and glitches. So I'm just wondering have any of you ever experienced this? Is it just the drivers or do you think my card could be going bad? It's EVGA so I got the lifetime warranty but I just wanted to make sure before I RMA'd it.

Well it could be a hardware issue, but if it's happened once, then it's probably not. I get the "driver stopped responding" when I OC my card too much.

supra 02-04-11 02:01 AM

happened to me out of the blue aswell. evga 460 1G died only 4 months old.

i rolled back to older drivers and still same problem. then i couldnt even watch videos without major artifacts. and games wouldnt run let alone artifact.

evga rma and got a fresh 460 :)

mrweed 02-13-11 04:46 PM

I think you are also member of this club :
The Nvidia 400/500 series lockup club!
I didnt got artifacts with my system but crashing drivers sound familliar.
on Page 51 from that post theres also a guy with artifacts :
http://users.rcn.com/chinmonster/evga_1.jpg
Good luck !

DarkOneX 05-27-11 09:28 AM

From my experience, and this has happened to me with at least 3 different GeForce cards since the 8800 series, it's a bad card. I dunno wtf it is but it seems like anymore there's more chance than ever that you'll either get a card that's bad like this out of the box or will go bad in a short time, very frustrating but seems to be the truth. My 2 month old eVGA 570 started doing this so RMA'ing it and ordered a Gigabyte to replace it and we'll see how it goes but I don't have high hopes, I'm sure the new one will end up doing the same sooner or later.

Nightwolf 05-27-11 11:07 PM

Dunno what's going on.

I have a pair of MSI 1GB Cyclone OC GTX 460's in SLI, going on 1 month old and there is nothing wrong with them, and of course they're powered by an 850watt powersupply. I've been reading a lot of places on the net where people seem to be having a lot of problems with EVGA brand GeForce 400 series cards, and EVGA brand GeForce 500 series cards.

supra 05-30-11 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supra (Post 2387314)
happened to me out of the blue aswell. evga 460 1G died only 4 months old.

i rolled back to older drivers and still same problem. then i couldnt even watch videos without major artifacts. and games wouldnt run let alone artifact.

evga rma and got a fresh 460 :)

well i cant believe this. the one i got from rma has died now. could it be just bad luck? cos this is twice in a row my 460 has died.

the first one i had overclocked but nothing too crazy, the temps were still fine on full load. but this 2nd one i left at stock clocks and it still died after a few months. wonder what is going on with the 4 series.