nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   New receiver (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=158117)

lee63 12-19-10 01:03 PM

New receiver
 
Help me decide on my new HT receiver, I have picked out three that are in my price range.

1/ Yamaha RX-A1000

2/ Marantz SR 6005

3/ Pioneer Elite SC-35


http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7375/recivers.jpg

Imbroglio 12-19-10 06:49 PM

Re: New receiver
 
any setup information?

ie:

how many zones do you plan on setting up?

what kind of source components do you have? (all hdmi, all component, htpc, etc)

do you need bluetooth adapter, rf devices, only ir?

without knowing detailed information it's a tough choice because foundationally there isn't too much that separates these.

also, you'll need to look into some of the details of some of the receivers since I believe the pioneer doesn't have volume osd (which is pathetic at this price point).

if you have some time you should check out some of the owner threads at avs forums to get users feedback. ideally you should try to find a local shop that will let you demo the units at home for a few days and see which one is the best for you.

lee63 12-19-10 10:01 PM

Re: New receiver
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imbroglio (Post 2367273)
any setup information?

ie:

how many zones do you plan on setting up?

what kind of source components do you have? (all hdmi, all component, htpc, etc)

do you need bluetooth adapter, rf devices, only ir?

without knowing detailed information it's a tough choice because foundationally there isn't too much that separates these.

also, you'll need to look into some of the details of some of the receivers since I believe the pioneer doesn't have volume osd (which is pathetic at this price point).

if you have some time you should check out some of the owner threads at avs forums to get users feedback. ideally you should try to find a local shop that will let you demo the units at home for a few days and see which one is the best for you.

I will probably have a PS3 and or a Blu Ray player (not 3D), SVS sub, my speakers are all in-wall Jamo...had the rears installed last night, and I think I just might have found a NIB Pioneer Kuro :D. I will be using HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 cables(probably audioquest Pearl)

This is a whole new set up, I've looked at ALL of the 2010 model TV's and I'm not impressed with any of them to be honest.

I'm probably 1/2 % of the population that wont settle for anything less than a Kuro picture in a TV:headexplode: I'm very picky when it comes to video and not so much with audio.

I really like how the Marantz looks BTW.

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/4...ag0062c.th.jpg

lduguay 12-20-10 04:33 PM

Re: New receiver
 
You cant go wrong with any of them. I own a RXA-1000, on a hdmi 1.4 3D setup (on a Pana VT25).
I agree that the Marantz has the looks and the sound quality is probably very good too.

lee63 12-20-10 05:37 PM

Re: New receiver
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lduguay (Post 2367762)
You cant go wrong with any of them. I own a RXA-1000, on a hdmi 1.4 3D setup (on a Pana VT25).
I agree that the Marantz has the looks and the sound quality is probably very good too.

How do you like the VT25 ? I was looking at the VT series but I have found a Pioneer Kuro locally that I'm very interested in. Yes the Marantz looks awesome, check out the BluRay player.

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/4...dpiw120.th.jpg

lee63 12-23-10 07:57 PM

Re: New receiver
 
After much research I've decided on the Yamaha RX-A2000 :headexplode:

betterdan 12-23-10 08:07 PM

Re: New receiver
 
Those receivers are much higher end than what I have but I have to say I love my Yamaha RX-V467 receiver a lot.

mullet 12-23-10 11:55 PM

Re: New receiver
 
Lee is on his wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

lee63 12-24-10 12:26 AM

Re: New receiver
 
I need to figure out how the PS3 slim streams Netflix....I guess its some kind of disk thing ??? anyone know ?

ViN86 12-24-10 02:00 AM

Re: New receiver
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lee63 (Post 2369477)
I need to figure out how the PS3 slim streams Netflix....I guess its some kind of disk thing ??? anyone know ?

I don't think so (unless it's different from the PS3 fat).

A couple updates ago added a native Netflix app just like 360's. Works great and finally has a search feature.

lee63 12-24-10 02:46 AM

Re: New receiver
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2369491)
I don't think so (unless it's different from the PS3 fat).

A couple updates ago added a native Netflix app just like 360's. Works great and finally has a search feature.

This is what I'm talking about, I guess they must have updated it though.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/26/ne...l-2010-update/

Edit: it was updated http://blog.netflix.com/2010/10/wii-...disc-free.html

Imbroglio 12-25-10 08:06 AM

Re: New receiver
 
yeah, when/if you updated your firmware to latest, there is a netflix program icon under the movies/video category. click on that and it will install and allow you to enter your user name.

also, voted for the marantz


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.