nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows XP And Vista (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Microsoft warns on IE browser bug (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=158234)

Drolfrawd 12-23-10 10:30 AM

Microsoft warns on IE browser bug

Microsoft warns on IE browser bug

Quote:

Microsoft has issued a warning about a serious vulnerability in all versions of its Internet Explorer (IE) browser.

If exploited by a booby-trapped webpage the bug would allow attackers to take control of an unprotected computer.

Code to exploit the bug has already been published though Microsoft said it had no evidence it was currently being used by hi-tech criminals.

A workaround for the bug has been produced while Microsoft works on a permanent fix.
Code injection

The bug revolves around the way that IE manages a computer's memory when processing Cascading Style Sheets - a widely used technology that defines the look and feel of pages on a website.

Hi-tech criminals have long known that they can exploit IE's memory management to inject their own malicious code into the stream of instructions a computer processes as a browser is being used. In this way the criminals can get their own code running and hijack a PC.

Microsoft has produced updates that improves memory management but security researchers discovered that these protection systems are not used when some older parts of Windows are called upon.

In a statement Microsoft said it was "investigating" the bug and working on a permanent fix. In the meantime it recommended those concerned use a protection system known as the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit.

Installing and applying the toolkit may require Windows XP users to update the version of the operating system they are using. But even if they do that some of the protection it bestows on Windows 7 and Vista users will not be available.

"We're currently unaware of any attacks trying to use the claimed vulnerability or of customer impact," said Dave Forstrom, the director of Microsoft's Trustworthy Computing group, in a statement.

"As vulnerabilities go, this kind is the most serious as it allows remote execution of code," said Rik Ferguson, senior security analyst at Trend Micro, "This means the attacker can run programs, such as malware, directly on the victim's computer."

He added: "It is highly reminiscent of a vulnerability at the same time two years ago which prompted several national governments to warn against using IE and to switch to an alternative browser."
Glad i have binned this ages ago

Edit: Justa thought for all of you who like me need ie for work, well you van use "IE tab " in firefox and you will be able to display your web pages normally.

ViN86 12-23-10 10:50 AM

Re: Microsoft warns on IE browser bug

Wow that sounds like a pretty big hole. One of the things I've never liked about IE is how integrated into the OS it is. It seems like IE has permissions levels that are too high, hence why there are always security flaws. Firefox isn't perfect though.

betterdan 12-23-10 02:18 PM

Don't go to questionable sites and have common sense and you should be ok. Of course there are lots of morons out there so they should probably not use IE.

ViN86 12-23-10 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betterdan (Post 2369291)
Don't go to questionable sites and have common sense and you should be ok. Of course there are lots of morons out there so they should probably not use IE.

Good advice for everyone on the interwebs.

jcrox 12-24-10 02:06 AM

Quote:

Don't go to questionable sites and have common sense and you should be ok. Of course there are lots of morons out there that shouldn't be allowed to touch a computer.

fixed :cool:

LydianKnight 12-24-10 04:24 AM

Quote:

Don't go to questionable sites and have common sense and you should be ok.

This.

I was mainly a Firefox user, and this new version of IE, albeit being beta, is so awesome (for me, at least) now I just use Firefox for one of the job looking places (for some reason, IE9 doesn't advance me into the jobs list when it's bigger than 1 page), but for the rest?

IE all the way... YouTube, eBay, Amazon, NVIDIA, Steam, Facebook, Google, everything works like a charm. Ok, still some quirks here and there, but come on... it's still a beta, and for a beta, this kind of speed and responsiveness is something quite admirable.

Now we just need Adobe to stop sleeping on its own desk and release a full-fledged and finished 64 bits version of Flash and... bye bye, 32 bits :bleh:

People wanting more security can install something like Microsoft Security Essentials or one of the free antivirus out there on the internet like Avast or the likes, so... what's the big deal about the 'holes'?

Firefox also has... same goes for Webkit and Opera... if software ever gets to the point of being perfect, it will mean it's made by a machine and not humans anymore xD

jcrox 12-24-10 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LydianKnight (Post 2369526)

Now we just need Adobe to stop sleeping on its own desk and release a full-fledged and finished 64 bits version of Flash and... bye bye, 32 bits :bleh:

Adobe may very well release a 64bit version of flash but I wouldn't count on it with HTML 5 on the horizon. Flash is going buh-bye sooner or later.

LydianKnight 12-25-10 05:48 AM

Yes, I agree with you... HTML5 is the future, even if Adobe doesn't like the idea any single bit, but at least, for the myriad of websites and applications depending on Flash, we deserve a 64 bits version. It's funny to see Adobe isn't that different from Macromedia in the end... same old fashioned and closed minds :bleh:

mojoman0 06-02-11 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrackage (Post 2440368)
I don't see the sense in using IE anymore, since there are so many better rivals. BTW IE developers repeat many features only after Firefox or Opera...

cause IE9 is actually good and faster than even chrome in some applications

XDanger 06-03-11 02:18 PM

old thread is old

Quick420 06-05-11 12:08 AM

I thought this was news,because my IE crashes all the time.....STILL.Firefox never does XD:p