nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Console World (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   PS3 security hacked (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=158337)

Lyme 12-30-10 12:21 AM

PS3 security hacked

PS3 security hacked
http://psgroove.com/content.php?581-...Videos-Within&

It took longer than the others, but with everything it was just a matter of time.

Madpistol 12-30-10 01:15 AM

Re: PS3 security hacked

I don't enjoy seeing products broken or software pirated, but I think Sony deserved this. They included Linux availability with the original OS, and then they removed support for it. Now, it can be used again after this.

I don't have any use for this sort of thing, but this sorta seems like payback, and I'm not opposed to it either.

Noriega 12-30-10 09:34 AM

It gonna take few year since it's gonna be as popular as pirating on Xbox 360.

Short message for my comrades: 游戏机都死了

|MaguS| 12-30-10 10:28 AM

We'll see. They have yet to actually release any evidence and even then they claim its unpatchable and a sloppy security on Sony's end yet the no one figured this out in 4 years? I call BS and think Sony has a backup, remember the PSJailbreak was suppose to be unblockable also.

LurkerLito 12-30-10 01:53 PM

After going through the conference footage, this is a big deal and also not a big deal yet. It's a big deal because they now have complete access to the lv2 of the PS3. This means they can easily replace the GameOS with Linux because they can just sign the executable with Sony's private key and the system will never be able to tell that it wasn't Sony that made it. But this does not apply for piracy purposes because as it was said in the conference they did not attempt to get the private keys for the GameOS level of the PS3. Only if that happens will piracy become quite trivial to do.

Though it is interesting before it was lvl2->GameOS->OtherOS as the sequence for the security chain. Now it's lvl2->AsbestOS as the sequence so now linux or whatever that is running has even more privileges than OtherOS.

So the only thing remaining is to see if Sony blundered the GameOS signing stuff or not. If Sony didn't do the same idiotic thing as they did with the lvl2 code (int GetRandomNumber(){return(4);} LOL) in GameOS then they should still be OK. But if they did the same thing they are screwed.

Lyme 01-07-11 11:49 PM

Article and video showing proof of concept http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/g...ows-to-fix-vi/

FearMeAll 01-12-11 08:04 PM

It's real. And it is playing games as of today.. That's all I have to say....

ViN86 01-14-11 08:49 AM

It would be very cool if they could enable Linux again with hardware graphics enabled. I'd love to be able to run Linux on my PS3 and play games inside Linux too. It'd be awesome to run some Quake 3 games in Linux on PS3. :lol:

Vardant 01-14-11 10:01 AM

I'm baffled by the number of people trying to defend Sony's right to "kill" your console if they find anything like this running. It's almost everywhere and I can't wrap my head around that kind of thinking.

Some even go as far as saying you are leasing the console...the sheer stupidity of that is mind blowing.

LydianKnight 01-14-11 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2377685)
It would be very cool if they could enable Linux again with hardware graphics enabled. I'd love to be able to run Linux on my PS3 and play games inside Linux too. It'd be awesome to run some Quake 3 games in Linux on PS3. :lol:

Even better... how about recovering the ability to run PS2 & PS1 games?

Let's let piracy aside, just... recovering what you initially (and supposedly) paid for... or was there some kind of hardware bits lost in the new Slim model? (I would like to think... not).

|MaguS| 01-14-11 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vardant (Post 2377731)
I'm baffled by the number of people trying to defend Sony's right to "kill" your console if they find anything like this running. It's almost everywhere and I can't wrap my head around that kind of thinking.

Some even go as far as saying you are leasing the console...the sheer stupidity of that is mind blowing.

Yeah I say instead they should have the ability to kill the RSX within it, lose the right to play games... the console will still work but you can nolonger play games on it since you never bought the games to begin with.

|MaguS| 01-14-11 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LydianKnight (Post 2377738)
Even better... how about recovering the ability to run PS2 & PS1 games?

Let's let piracy aside, just... recovering what you initially (and supposedly) paid for... or was there some kind of hardware bits lost in the new Slim model? (I would like to think... not).

The PS3 lost BC when they removed the PS2 chips from the console to save money... PS2 can only return in full emulation now and it would never run as smooth as it would on a PS2/PC or first PS3s.