nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Archived News Items (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   BREAKING: AMD's Chief Exec Resigns From the Company (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=158631)

News 01-10-11 06:30 PM

BREAKING: AMD's Chief Exec Resigns From the Company

More...

darkrider01 01-10-11 10:47 PM

Re: BREAKING: AMD's Chief Exec Resigns From the Company

I feel like this is the same thing that I have seen recently in the NFL. The teams currently at the lower end of the win/loss column hire a new coach every 2-3 years. It's like they half expect a new coach will magically coach them to a super bowl in 2 years.

I felt like AMD was finally holding their own in both the CPU and GPU markets pretty well finally, something they had not really been able to do before. We know Intel has the high end desktops cornered, but in the mainstream and server markets (the large markets), I thought they were competing well with Intel. In the GPU scene, they have held the performance crown for well over a year now (read 5870 and 5970), though I would believe that NVidia still probably holds a higher market share.

I don't see this as a very good thing for AMD....

Tygerwoody 01-11-11 05:58 AM

lol 2nd rate company. Not even in the same class as Nvidia or Intel. They should only bundle AMD products E-Machines and calculators. Its all they're any good for!

MikeC 01-11-11 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tygerwoody (Post 2375763)
lol 2nd rate company. Not even in the same class as Nvidia or Intel. They should only bundle AMD products E-Machines and calculators. Its all they're any good for!

I agree with that assessment and the acquisition of ATI dragged them down further.

Redeemed 01-11-11 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeC (Post 2376194)
I agree with that assessment and the acquisition of ATI dragged them down further.

With all due respect, do you think ATi would be producing better GPUs had AMD not bought them? And would AMD be putting out better CPUs? What about AMD mobos? Still limited to only nVidia and VIA chipsets? Or would AMD chipsets have improved as well?

Honestly I'm curiuos, cause from the looks of things lately purchasing ATi may have very well saved them in the long run. I mean, with out ATi, do you think AMD could develop a better GPU than Intel?

Honestly, if the merge hadn't occured I think AMD would be near non-existent, or at least struggling much more so than they currently are.

And to simply wish them to no longer exist if X product doesn't pan out seems rediculous. This isn't football. If AMD goes under, expect Intel and nVidia to rape us consumers in regards to product prices. Without any viable competition- whose to stop them?

jcrox 01-11-11 09:43 PM

Quote:

Actual it's been a considerable amount of time since the idea of using the massive parallel processing power of GP-GPUs in conjunction with a CPU of some sort came about which would essentially replace a computer's hardware architecture as we know it. I still remember reading an article about having the power of a Cray in a desktop (I peed on the floor a little).

I'm pretty sure they've figured out that this isn't happening with x86 architecture. ARM processors on the other hand... or something similar and more flexible than an x86 CPU, especially with the advancements being made with things like the Tegra chips, brings about much more opportunity. Microsoft building support for non-x86 processors into Windows 8 isn't going to hurt either.

IMO had AMD NOT bought ATI they likely would have sealed their own fate for the long run eventually leaving Intel to dominate the CPU market alone. It very well may end up looking like a steal of a purchase 5 to 10 years from now.

Redeemed 01-11-11 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcrox (Post 2376278)
Actual it's been a considerable amount of time since the idea of using the massive parallel processing power of GP-GPUs in conjunction with a CPU of some sort came about which would essentially replace a computer's hardware architecture as we know it. I still remember reading an article about having the power of a Cray in a desktop (I peed on the floor a little).

I'm pretty sure they've figured out that this isn't happening with x86 architecture. ARM processors on the other hand... or something similar and more flexible than an x86 CPU, especially with the advancements being made with things like the Tegra chips, brings about much more opportunity. Microsoft building support for non-x86 processors into Windows 8 isn't going to hurt either.

IMO had AMD NOT bought ATI they likely would have sealed their own fate for the long run eventually leaving Intel to dominate the CPU market alone. It very well may end up looking like a steal of a purchase 5 to 10 years from now.

See, this is my take as well. I think AMD had a very tough choice to make regarding the ATi acquisition, and they themselves even viewed it as a gamble. Likely they anticipated Intel's return. Maybe not as quickly as it happened but I'd ventured they anticipated it. Thus they had to make a choice that would land them on top, or at least allow them a strong competitive advantage 10 - 20 years down the line.

Had AMD not purchased ATi then likely the first batch of Phenom chips would have been a bit more impressive. In fact, their entire lineup (CPUs) would be more impressive than what we currently have. However, we'd still have the same old AMD, VIA, or nVidia chipsets and what would have happened to ATi? They may have gone the way of S3, Matrox, 3DFx, etc. With the rapidly changing character of the PC, x86 CPUs are likely on their way out. Might take another ten years, may happen soon as 3. Hard to say. x86 can't last forever.

If anything we should be worried, long-term, about Intel. Right now they have a strangle hold on x86. No new company would stand a chance trying to enter the market and compete with them, AMD's it. However, what happens when x86 fades away? Look at all of Intel's attempts at GPUs. The dedicated GPU they did attempt got canned and was under performing compared to nVidia's and AMD's offerings. Do you think it'll be any easier for them to adopt another processing architecture? I have my doubts.

If anything, I partially wonder if their saving grace will be their abundance in cash. I'm not too sure how much each company has in reserves or if it's even possible, but I could see Intel buying up a company like ARM so they can potentially compete in future markets. It'd still leave a lot to be desired in regards to the GPUs but so long as they remain buddy-buddy with nVidia they don't have to worry.

AMD is set all around. They have very competitive CPUs, competitive chipsets, and *very* competitive GPUs. Granted, they do lack the immediate cash reserves both nVidia and Intel have, but considering their new owners in the ME I'm sure they can find money when they need it.

So ultimately, all things considered, AMD's future is looking brighter and brighter with each new day. It's both Intel and nVidia that have to worry. Likely more Intel than nVidia. Fast forward 10 - 20 years from now it's very possible that AMD may be the top dog across the board for once in their existance, likely thanks to the ATi acquisition.

Intel17 01-11-11 11:54 PM

I think the x86 death knell is highly exaggerated and basically nVidia FUD, Redeemed. x86 isn't going anywhere for PCs, laptops, workstations, and servers.

People complain about x86 being legacy or whatever, but the truth is, the chips aren't "actually" x86, instructions are broken down into more RISC like operations and then those are executed.

Viral 01-11-11 11:58 PM

I agree, AMD buying ATI those years ago is the only reason they are around today, and the only reason they have a future.

It seems like Dirk left because of his conservative approach on the companies future vs the progressives within the company, most of which came from ATI. IMO AMD need to adapt, their first fusion parts are the first step towards this, being low power and ultra flexible in both their capabilities and what devices they can be used in. Now it's up to AMD to get them into devices that make up expanding markets, not declining markets.

Roadhog 01-12-11 01:46 AM

I'm not a fan of AMD cpu's, but I think they have a bright future ahead of them and won't be going anywhere for a while.

Heinz68 01-12-11 06:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeC (Post 2376194)

Tygerwoody is just a troll, hopefully one day he will grow up and I'm very disappointed that MikeC is endorsing such posting.

Rollo 01-12-11 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed (Post 2376302)
AMD is set all around. They have very competitive CPUs, competitive chipsets, and *very* competitive GPUs. Granted, they do lack the immediate cash reserves both nVidia and Intel have, but considering their new owners in the ME I'm sure they can find money when they need it.

So ultimately, all things considered, AMD's future is looking brighter and brighter with each new day. It's both Intel and nVidia that have to worry. Likely more Intel than nVidia. Fast forward 10 - 20 years from now it's very possible that AMD may be the top dog across the board for once in their existance, likely thanks to the ATi acquisition.

I don't think AMD HR is reading this forum Redeemed.

Heh, I've been a computer gamer since the 80s, and for most of that time I've supported AMD. I currently have a Phenom II 965 rig in one of my rigs even. Your post falls in the category of "AMD pipedream" though.

While I think NVIDIA will see some success (and has seen) with their ARM processors, to assume the largest player in the game is going to go away and be buried by a struggling little company like AMD is pretty off the hook optimistic.

About million to one odds there.

AMD may well keep limping along, but if they couldn't capture 30% of the market in the days they clearly had superior CPUs by a big margin, they won't now.