nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   CPUs, Motherboards And Memory (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Final picks for my upgrade! Sandy build! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=158972)

K007 01-21-11 11:05 PM

Final picks for my upgrade! Sandy build! ~AU$1400<

Done some final tweaks...

Intel CORE i7 2600K/3.40GHz/8MB CACHE/LGA115
CoolerMaster HAFX RC-942-KKN1
Corsair 8GB Vengeance Memory 1600 CL8
Corsair AX-850 ATX Power Supply, 80 PLUS Gold Certified, 100% Modular Cabling
Asus P8P67 PRO MB
Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E soundcard 7.1 Channel
Zalman CNPS9900MAX CPU Cooler with Red LED
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD (In total i will have 4 of these on my system, 3 from my old)

Getting Asus Xonar Essence STX of the D2X.

This will set me back about 1400AUD$

Basically i went from 1200W to 850W on the PSU (After seeing the 1200W issues, and the 850W has none of that, it was pretty easy to decide which psu to get ><)

Added a sound card, a lot of people keep saying the Xonar is really good, so i hope my first soundcard purchase since the soundblaster days is going to be good lol!...

What do you guys think? Anymore final tweaks i should go for?

I wanted to go for SSD...but man the prices are really high...it is as almost as buying a GTX580 in terms of cost...and i didn't feel like the cost is really worth it just yet...(I have seen the reviews in loading time/etc...it is impressive no question about that...but the cost is pretty premium)..

Muppet 01-22-11 12:18 AM

Re: Final picks for my upgrade! Sandy build!

Looks like a pretty sweet build. Lots of high quality gear in there.

What issues are you talking about when it comes to the 1200watt version. Mine has been faultless.

Will you be using the 5870 in there or will you be getting a new card as well.

K007 01-22-11 12:27 AM

I will use my 5870, see how much of an improvement it gives, i don't think i will need to get the next gpu,maybe the one after 6xxx/5xx, but if i do go for an upgrade then it will be the gtx580.

the 1200w ones seem to have this coil whining noise..

Anyone have experience with the soundcard?...i haven't brought one since the soundblaster days...a lot of people recommend asus xonar over the creative x-fi

Redeemed 01-22-11 12:39 AM

With how good quality onboard is I consider soundcards a waste, imo. Personal preference though. :)

Nice looking build all around. :)

Bearclaw 01-22-11 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed (Post 2381482)
With how good quality onboard is I consider soundcards a waste, imo. Personal preference though. :)

This. Soundcards are a waste of money.

Roadhog 01-22-11 01:03 AM

If you think soundcards are a waste of money or onboard remotely compares to one, you are wrong.

You either are deaf, have poor speakers/headphones, and or never had a nice sound card. That is if you aren't running a digital out.

K007 01-22-11 01:11 AM

Well, lets not start a war on the onbard/pci-e sound lol!...

The only reason i went for it is because, i had a budget, and after tweaking/changing i had some left over, so i wanted to give the external sound card a shot. It can't get any worse, and i can let you guys know if its really worth it or not..or made any difference. I do have some quality speakers/headsets, and i have been using onbard for a very long time lol...so i should be able to notice a difference...

Plus i assume using external vs onboard should be good for the cpu?...

Forgot to add, i am getting the soundcard for about 140AUD~, brand new, its a special offer the guy at the store said he can give me since i am buying everything from him, plus he has been the same guy i have been buying all my computer parts from...overall compared to other shops i end up saving about 300~ bucks just going to him...(Also i am buying 2x of everything, one is for a friend of mine)

Greedo 01-22-11 01:14 AM

small SSD for your OS.

Roadhog 01-22-11 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K007 (Post 2381503)
Well, lets not start a war on the onbard/pci-e sound lol!...

The only reason i went for it is because, i had a budget, and after tweaking/changing i had some left over, so i wanted to give the external sound card a shot. It can't get any worse, and i can let you guys know if its really worth it or not..or made any difference. I do have some quality speakers/headsets, and i have been using onbard for a very long time lol...so i should be able to notice a difference...

Plus i assume using external vs onboard should be good for the cpu?...

Forgot to add, i am getting the soundcard for about 140AUD~, brand new, its a special offer the guy at the store said he can give me since i am buying everything from him, plus he has been the same guy i have been buying all my computer parts from...overall compared to other shops i end up saving about 300~ bucks just going to him...(Also i am buying 2x of everything, one is for a friend of mine)

If you have good quality speakers/headphones, don't even second guess a sound card, go for it, and go for the best one you can buy. (Xonar ST/STX)

Muppet 01-22-11 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K007 (Post 2381476)
I will use my 5870, see how much of an improvement it gives, i don't think i will need to get the next gpu,maybe the one after 6xxx/5xx, but if i do go for an upgrade then it will be the gtx580.

the 1200w ones seem to have this coil whining noise..

Anyone have experience with the soundcard?...i haven't brought one since the soundblaster days...a lot of people recommend asus xonar over the creative x-fi

Maybe that was earlier units. I have never heard anything in my PC that even remotely sounds like that. If I did, I would certainly RMA it.

K007 01-22-11 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppet (Post 2381519)
Maybe that was earlier units. I have never heard anything in my PC that even remotely sounds like that. If I did, I would certainly RMA it.

Yea corsair said it was some issue with the fan or something like that, you can RMA and they will fix it. The problem is some stores still sell those earlier units.....i don't have the time to do RMA/wait 1-2 weeks for a fix lol...

bacon12 01-22-11 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redeemed (Post 2381482)

Not even close
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearclaw (Post 2381485)
This. Soundcards are a waste of money.

You don't know what you are missing
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog (Post 2381492)
If you think soundcards are a waste of money or onboard remotely compares to one, you are wrong.

You either are deaf, have poor speakers/headphones, and or never had a nice sound card. That is if you aren't running a digital out.

This only if you aren't running digital out.