nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   gtx590 release? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=159294)

Beavermatic 02-01-11 06:42 PM

gtx590 release?
 
Just bought a p67 mobo, i7 2600k cpu, and 12gb's of ram over the weekend, and went to go purchase the evga superclocked gtx580. I actually made the card purchase on newegg, and as I was glancing at other stuff, I glimpsed something a bout a gtx590.

I noticed it said it would be out sometime in february, and i keep following what new articles I can find... basically gtx580's that have hand picked cores, will be limited run, and nvidia is certain of a february launch.

Just wondering if anyone else knows anything else about that card? What price to expect (I'm hoping $700 or less will cover one due to my budget, lol), if there's any reason to think nvidia may delay that longer?

I'd just buy the evga gtx580 right now, but I dont want to deal with the "Step up" hassle if its only a couple more weeks wait.

Any thought?

john19055 02-01-11 09:47 PM

Re: gtx590 release?
 
I heard it should be released some time this month,should be a monster.

grey_1 02-02-11 10:38 AM

Re: gtx590 release?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by slaWter (Post 2386423)
With probably not enough VRAM :o

2Gb ought to be minimum for such a high end card, I would think. I'd love to see 3, but that would drive cost too high imo.

Can't wait to see final specs and what this thing can do.

grey_1 02-02-11 10:55 AM

Re: gtx590 release?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by slaWter (Post 2386447)
It'll probably be 1.5GB or 1.28GB as with the normal 580/570. That's of course per GPU so they can sell it as a 3GB card...

That'll work for most but those cards aren't really targeted for the 1920x1200 sector.

I just found out that the 3GB 580s will be available here in 2 weeks or so. Maybe we'll know more about the 590 by then but otherwise I'm getting the 3GB 580s.


Doubling the VRAM per GPU would be nice. For example two 570 with 2560MB per GPU. But something like that would probably require a Dual PCB card. I wouldn't mind that at all though :p

Yep, that's what I meant. I hate the marketing crap regarding how much vram the card has. It's very misleading. :)

Rollo 02-02-11 12:33 PM

Re: gtx590 release?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by slaWter (Post 2386447)
It'll probably be 1.5GB or 1.28GB as with the normal 580/570. That's of course per GPU so they can sell it as a 3GB card...

That'll work for most but those cards aren't really targeted for the 1920x1200 sector.

I just found out that the 3GB 580s will be available here in 2 weeks or so. Maybe we'll know more about the 590 by then but otherwise I'm getting the 3GB 580s.


Doubling the VRAM per GPU would be nice. For example two 570 with 2560MB per GPU. But something like that would probably require a Dual PCB card. I wouldn't mind that at all though :p

I have some thoughts on your posts in this thread. I have a 25X16 panel, a 5040X1050 surround set, and a 5760X1080 surround set, so VRAM and limitations have been on my mind lately.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com...eatured_Review

This is by far the best resource I've found for seeing how much VRAM is used in 3 panel gaming. As you can see, for 5760X1200 4X AA the rumored 1.5GB per GPU of the GTX 590 is enough 95% of the time. This covers almost EVERYONE. Anyone with $3000 to buy three 25X16 panels should spend a bit more and get 2 X 3GB GTX580.

Kyle at H's review is "OK" as well, but I've never liked his "A-ha! One of these cards can run 8X AA at 24fps minimum! Superior!" stance. 8X AA IQ improvements are marginal at best, and his "playable" is where I'd turn off AA in exchange for more fps.

The other thing is the vast, vast majority of people aren't using multi panels, and for anyone who isn't, 1.5GB is more than enough. I'd like someone who thinks otherwise to show me a review where even a relatively rare 25X16 panel runs out of RAM at 1.5GB.

I just paid $580 to try out two GTX560 2GB card, and I already have a lot of video cards, so I am interested in this. However, I think the issue is WAY overblown since the release of the 6970 cards, usually by people who have no need of more than a GB of VRAM.

I know you have three 25X16 panels, and personally, I wouldn't buy anything but those 3GB 580s to drive them. 6970s are weak at DX11 comparatively.

The 3GB GTX580s are on sale at newegg now, and at $600 each your choice is clear and one dimensional in my opinion.

Beavermatic 02-02-11 01:49 PM

Re: gtx590 release?
 
Rollo,

I have just a 22'inch screen, i think it maxes out at 1680x1050

So your saying it would be dumb for me to get a gtx590, and just go with the gtx580?

That th gtx590, 6790's, etc are all for hi-res or multi screen support?

Roadhog 02-02-11 02:53 PM

Re: gtx590 release?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollo (Post 2386502)
I know you have three 25X16 panels, and personally, I wouldn't buy anything but those 3GB 580s to drive them. 6970s are weak at DX11 comparatively..

Im sorry, 6970's weak? Put them in crossfire and see who is faster then, and much cheaper.

Madpistol 02-02-11 03:01 PM

Re: gtx590 release?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadhog (Post 2386598)
Im sorry, 6970's weak? Put them in crossfire and see who is faster then, and much cheaper.

I agree. 6970's by themselves aren't weak, and in Crossfire, they're pretty frikin good.

The GTX 580 is better, and it's more expensive. The GTX 570 is about the same as the 6970, but it can't drive more than 2 monitors by itself (compared to the 4 monitors a 6970 can drive). Also, 2GB framebuffer ensures that the cards can perform at high resolutions, especially in crossfire.

Come on Rollo... try harder.

Roadhog 02-02-11 03:04 PM

Re: gtx590 release?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madpistol (Post 2386603)
I agree. 6970's by themselves aren't weak, and in Crossfire, they're pretty frikin good.

The GTX 580 is better, and it's more expensive. The GTX 570 is about the same as the 6970, but it can't drive more than 2 monitors by itself (compared to the 4 monitors a 6970 can drive). Also, 2GB framebuffer ensures that the cards can perform at high resolutions, especially in crossfire.

Come on Rollo... try harder.

Agreed. They also aren't $500 by themselves. People keep expecting them to compete against a 580. But hey, if you want the absolute fastest single gpu card right now, that is easily nvidia.
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/review...ty-vs-sli.html

Rollo 02-02-11 05:33 PM

Re: gtx590 release?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beavermatic (Post 2386549)
Rollo,

I have just a 22'inch screen, i think it maxes out at 1680x1050

So your saying it would be dumb for me to get a gtx590, and just go with the gtx580?

That th gtx590, 6790's, etc are all for hi-res or multi screen support?

I think GTX580 is overkill for you and a GTX570 would give you amazing performance for almost $200 less.

A GTX560 would be kick ass at that resolution and be cheaper yet.

Bah! 02-02-11 05:54 PM

Re: gtx590 release?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madpistol (Post 2386603)
The GTX 570 is about the same as the 6970, but it can't drive more than 2 monitors by itself (compared to the 4 monitors a 6970 can drive).

Come on Rollo... try harder.

This is such marketing BS. Just because the 6970 can drive four monitors doesn't make it viable. You guys need to quit with this multi-monitor/single card stuff because that dog won't hunt. Everyone who plays modern, graphic intensive games, is going to have multiple cards anyway, so the argument isn't meaningless. Unless you buy high end video cards to stare at your desktop.

Roadhog 02-02-11 05:59 PM

Re: gtx590 release?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bah! (Post 2386688)
This is such marketing BS. Just because the 6970 can drive four monitors doesn't make it viable. You guys need to quit with this multi-monitor/single card stuff because that dog won't hunt. Everyone who plays modern, graphic intensive games, is going to have multiple cards anyway, so the argument isn't meaningless. Unless you buy high end video cards to stare at your desktop.

Who says they need to play games with 4 monitors? lol


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.