nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Console World (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   PS3 firmware 3.56 allegedly includes rootkit (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=159354)

nekrosoft13 02-03-11 09:42 PM

PS3 firmware 3.56 allegedly includes rootkit

Sony appears to be back on their old tricks again, as new reports now suggests, the latest PS3 firmware 3.56 didn't only include 'some minor update that improves system software stability', it also packs a sneaky new feature that will allow the electronic giant to install and run some codes when users logs into the PSN. A user dubbed N.A., who first mentioned the alleged rootkit last week on the Neogaf forum and cited work performed by developer Mathieulh, alleged that a rootkit in firmware version 3.56 allows Sony to "remotely execute code on the PS3" when users connect to the PlayStation Network. Mathieulh informed people over Internet Relay Chat that the alleged rootkit can be used by Sony for "verifying system files or searching for homebrew." It might also be used as a way to ensure users on the PlayStation Network are using Sony's own firmware. However, N.A. also pointed out that "Sony hasn't activated any of this yet." Sony did not immediately respond to request for comment.
For those who are curious about the new PS3 security, it seems Sony has implemented something in 3.56 I mentioned here a few weeks ago that is the same as Microsoft uses to detect and ban 360's. Mathieulh just posted about it on IRC. Essentially Sony can now remotely execute code on the PS3 as soon as you connect. This can do whatever Sony wants it to do such as verifying system files or searching for homebrew. Sony can change the code and add new detection methods without any firmware updates and as the code executes remotely there is no reliable way to forge the replies. Whilst it is possible to patch or remove this code from the firmware this will likely mean the end of playing CFW online (as PSN can just check before login that this is active) or at the very least mean it will be even easier for Sony to detect and ban users. Judging from the fact that people can still connect using the proxy method it seems Sony hasn't activated any of this yet but the functions are there in the new firmware.

http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=30341

Madpistol 02-04-11 02:02 AM

Re: PS3 firmware 3.56 allegedly includes rootkit

I wonder if there's a way to block a port on our router to keep this from happening... just to piss sony off. :p

|MaguS| 02-04-11 09:43 AM

Who cares if it has an Extra measure to lock.pirates.

LurkerLito 02-04-11 10:29 AM

I don't really care as long as it doesn't slow down the boot up time. I am not sure why, but the last time I powered up the PS3 after I updated to 3.56 it seemed to take longer to boot than usual. It stayed at my default backdrop option (no wallpaper) for like 20-30 seconds with HDD light on with no XMB. Don't know if it was this new feature of theirs or not but I was kind of worried my PS3 may have broke cause it took a while for the XMB to show up.

Q 02-05-11 01:24 PM

I ****ing hate my PS3. Mainly for the update system. The updates take significantly longer than on the 360 - both downloading and installing. And if you don't use your PS3 every day, it seems like you have to wait every time before you play the thing.

Also, it seems their updates like to break random stuff, too. I've been playing Ratchet & Clank Tools... on and off for two years. Never get into before I turn it off. I've been trying to get through it the last few weeks though, and after the last update I get random full system lockups when loading stages.

Thanks, Sony.

Madpistol 02-05-11 01:53 PM

Yea. Microsoft seems to be a lot better at software than Sony is. Sony has to tunnel their way into their own hardware. Microsoft has a lot more experience on software.

crainger 02-12-11 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q (Post 2387892)
I ****ing hate my PS3. Mainly for the update system. The updates take significantly longer than on the 360 - both downloading and installing. And if you don't use your PS3 every day, it seems like you have to wait every time before you play the thing.

Also, it seems their updates like to break random stuff, too. I've been playing Ratchet & Clank Tools... on and off for two years. Never get into before I turn it off. I've been trying to get through it the last few weeks though, and after the last update I get random full system lockups when loading stages.

Thanks, Sony.

They should make the Plus download overnight feature available to everyone. It downloads updates for the OS and games and will install them if it can (system still prompts you games no). Saves a lot of time. Especially when you are just hoping on to check the store. ::p:

Yaboze 02-12-11 07:24 PM

The updates are horribly slow on the PS3, even game updates, etc are slow a f\/CK.

Mr. Hunt 02-12-11 07:51 PM

I don't have a problem with updates. Not sure why everybody else does :\.

Rakeesh 02-12-11 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS| (Post 2387399)
Who cares if it has an Extra measure to lock.pirates.

I was reading earlier that the master signing key has been discovered. If that is the case, PS3 piracy is trivial and nothing can be done to stop it.

Ninja Prime 02-12-11 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt (Post 2391187)
I don't have a problem with updates. Not sure why everybody else does :\.

See, they aren't fanboys. ;)

Mr. Hunt 02-13-11 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja Prime (Post 2391227)
See, they aren't fanboys. ;)

Or maybe they need to check their connections. Or maybe don't rush to download the update the instant it is out. But I rarely have to worry about it anymore since it downloads them for me, since I am on PS+.