nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   570 GTX SLI Questions (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=159500)

Peoples-Agent 02-09-11 05:47 AM

570 GTX SLI Questions

Hi folks,

Swapping out 6870 Crossfire for 570 GTX SLI tomorrow.

Mainly because when multi gpu doesn't work, the extra beef of the 570 will come in handy. Also have a new monitor and I want to dabble with 3D.

Couple of ?s. Physx support in games, do you feel the benefits are worth it? Say losing one of the pair to Physx in Just Cause 2, Mafia 2 etc ?

Also, what drivers are the current "happy" set?

Rollo 02-09-11 07:41 AM

Re: 570 GTX SLI Questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent (Post 2389380)
Hi folks,

Swapping out 6870 Crossfire for 570 GTX SLI tomorrow.

Mainly because when multi gpu doesn't work, the extra beef of the 570 will come in handy. Also have a new monitor and I want to dabble with 3D.

Couple of ?s. Physx support in games, do you feel the benefits are worth it? Say losing one of the pair to Physx in Just Cause 2, Mafia 2 etc ?

Also, what drivers are the current "happy" set?

You don't lose one GPU when running SLi for PhysX. The PhysX runs one one GPU, but the graphics load is still balanced across both.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_faq.html

I like PhysX. It's not the deal maker/breaker 3d Vision is for me, but the effects are a nice extra in games and in general anything that adds realism to the scene increases immersion.

As for the drivers, just use what's on the website now. It's pretty rare that there is a problem with NVIDIA drivers.

Peoples-Agent 02-09-11 08:48 AM

Awesome, that's good to know. Be glad to be back tbh!!! No more blasted CAPs.

Madpistol 02-09-11 09:57 AM

A GTX 570 will be a nice upgrade for sure.

As for Physx support, it's not all that great. It's just a gimmick. You should be looking forward to the extra power, though.

Peoples-Agent 02-09-11 12:28 PM

I'm just happy to be on the green side of things again with drivers I trust.

mcbacker 02-09-11 01:33 PM

Just moved from a 5970 and ****3d drivers to a pair of GTX 570... ATI/AMD screwed the latest Catalysts.

Peoples-Agent 02-09-11 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbacker (Post 2389524)
Just moved from a 5970 and ****3d drivers to a pair of GTX 570... ATI/AMD screwed the latest Catalysts.

Play the odd few mainstream games and your fine with the Catalyst. You play a wide range of games, including older stuff, and your pretty much screwed. They manage to break random things between releases completely out of the blue. It's got to be down to their profile system, the bodged CAP 1 release for the 11.1s pretty much summed it up.

Shame, but what can you do.

Madpistol 02-09-11 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent (Post 2389592)
Play the odd few mainstream games and your fine with the Catalyst. You play a wide range of games, including older stuff, and your pretty much screwed. They manage to break random things between releases completely out of the blue. It's got to be down to their profile system, the bodged CAP 1 release for the 11.1s pretty much summed it up.

Shame, but what can you do.

I had the same intermittent gaming problems with certain Nvidia cards over the years (see FX 5900 and 9800 GTX+). The HD 4870 and 5870 have been virtually problem free for all the games I've played, which extends all the way back to 2001.

I guess it's luck of the draw when it's all said and done.

EDIT: BTW, I know Rollo responded to this post. I can't see his posts.

Rollo 02-09-11 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madpistol (Post 2389426)
A GTX 570 will be a nice upgrade for sure.

As for Physx support, it's not all that great. It's just a gimmick. You should be looking forward to the extra power, though.

Ever notice how 90% of the guys who say PhysX is a gimmick don't own a NVIDIA card?

Wonder if there's some correlation there?

Ninja Prime 02-09-11 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollo (Post 2389714)
Ever notice how 90% of the guys who say PhysX is a gimmick don't own a NVIDIA card?

I've owned 3 NV cards of my last 4 and I haven't found a single game with PhysX that I wanted to play, or was already playing that I could enable it on... gimmick. From current and past NV owner.

Madpistol 02-09-11 11:34 PM

For reference, I own a 9800 GTX+. I even have a 9600 GT that I could use as a Physx card.

And I agree with Ninja on this one. If Physx wasn't a gimmick, it would be on far more titles than it is right now. It's had more than enough time to gain developer support, and it's still in a very small minority of games. The fact that it's only supported by Nvidia products and the fact that it's directed at the enthusiast market (see "buy a dedicated Physx card") makes it a hard sell to developers.

jcrox 02-10-11 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollo (Post 2389714)

And outside of Batman:AA name me some "must play" games where PhysX plays a role in the gaming experience.

It's a gimmick and I've never owned a single ATI card in my life.