nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   MSI GTX 570 Crashes 3 - 4 minutes into game (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=159715)

Euphoria 02-15-11 07:55 PM

MSI GTX 570 Crashes 3 - 4 minutes into game

Hey guys I just got my GTX 570 today.
It replaced two HD 4870s in Crossfire. I uninstalled the old drivers and removed the ATI cards inserted the new GTX 570 and installed the latest NVIDIA drivers.... and it crashes.

I thought that this transition will be much more smoother but I tried Crysis wars, Mafia II, even the Nvidia Demo with the supersonic sled and it crashed... Ugh...
I ran GPU-z and my max temp does not go over 78C

Now I use to run dh 4870 in crossfire and I know my Liancase has a good air flow...so it's not overheating...
My guess would be drivers ...
Am I missing something? ANy suggestions?
Thanks!

Roadhog 02-15-11 07:59 PM

Re: MSI GTX 570 Crashes 3 - 4 minutes into game

explain how it crashes more. Does it blue screen? Does it lockup? Does it just ctd?

Euphoria 02-15-11 08:21 PM

Hey Roadhog, it just exits from the game.

I run Win 7 64bit and when I go to task manager it says that my game is not responding.

I Googled this issue and it seems like a lot of GTX 570 owners are experiencing this issue... they seem to blame the drivers...

Roadhog 02-15-11 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphoria (Post 2392540)
Hey Roadhog, it just exits from the game.

I run Win 7 64bit and when I go to task manager it says that my game is not responding.

I Googled this issue and it seems like a lot of GTX 570 owners are experiencing this issue... they seem to blame the drivers...

Yeah there was something posted about that here too. Check the nvidia forums, I think there is a huge thread about it.

Euphoria 02-15-11 08:29 PM

I just installed the older drivers 263.09 from MSI's website and same problem. I was running Heaven benchmark and it crashed, got a black screen, I went to desktop and saw a message that the driver stop responding.... Ugh I am so disappointed....

Euphoria 02-15-11 08:31 PM

Yep went to Nvidia's forum and did not find any solutions, just people complaining about it...
I should have done some research before purchasing this card... all I read was some third party benchmarks and reviews but they never mentioned any crashes or issues like that....

Roadhog 02-15-11 08:32 PM

Here is the thread. You can join the club. :p Should have stuck with ATI lol.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...ic=187401&st=0

Euphoria 02-15-11 09:13 PM

I think I might have found the issue....

I loaded afterburner and my gtx 570 should have come OCed to 786/4200 but the memory was at 4400.

I lowered the memory to 4000MHz which is still 200 more than stock and it seems to be ok so far... I played a bit Mafia II and it didnt crash. I also ran the Heaven Bench and it was ok...

I dont think that 200 MHz will make such a big performance difference to me, and plus I got the card at $329 so I'll live with it...

I am of playing some Crysis now, I want to see how will it handle this game at max settings...

I'll write an update later if this really resolved my issue... I would not want to return this card back... it's really quiet

Muppet 02-16-11 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphoria (Post 2392572)
I think I might have found the issue....

I loaded afterburner and my gtx 570 should have come OCed to 786/4200 but the memory was at 4400.

I lowered the memory to 4000MHz which is still 200 more than stock and it seems to be ok so far... I played a bit Mafia II and it didnt crash. I also ran the Heaven Bench and it was ok...

I dont think that 200 MHz will make such a big performance difference to me, and plus I got the card at $329 so I'll live with it...

I am of playing some Crysis now, I want to see how will it handle this game at max settings...

I'll write an update later if this really resolved my issue... I would not want to return this card back... it's really quiet

If it did come with higher clocks than it was supposed to and it isn't stable. I would take it back and get a new one.

nekrosoft13 02-16-11 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppet (Post 2392686)
If it did come with higher clocks than it was supposed to and it isn't stable. I would take it back and get a new one.

problem with factory overclocked cards, some companies take it to far with how much the product is overclocked.

And they don't take room temperature, case temperature, enviroment temperature into considerations sometimes. Thats why sometimes factory overclocked cards have issues for some.

Another reason, product is simply not stable.

Euphoria 02-16-11 11:05 PM

Well I decided to RMA the card and get a new replacement.
Newegg are great about that. I called them and one hour later they mailed me a new one, which I'll get in a day or two, and I'll just mail this one back.

I think it has a faulty memory, I was able to raise the GPU clock to 800 with no problems but every time I raised the mem clock over 4000Mhz my games started crashing.

MSI factory OCes this card to 786/4200. It might have also been a poorly applied thermal paste. I've had before, on my 6900GT uneven distribution of thermal paste which caused artifacts and I resolved the issue after reapplying arctic silver on all of them.

Anyhow, It sucks that I have to go through this with my new card, so I hope the replacement does not have any of this issues...

Muppet 02-16-11 11:59 PM

I think you have done the right thing. Also this can happen to new hardware.