nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Error messages when installing the driver on Linux Mint Debian x64 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=160181)

cdysthe 03-01-11 06:52 PM

Error messages when installing the driver on Linux Mint Debian x64

Hi,

When I install the (latest) nvidia driver using the nvidia installer on my Linux Mint Debian x64 laptop the installation completes correctly and the driver works fine, but there are a couple of warnings. This is the part of the log where the errors occur:

-> Uninstallation of existing driver: NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for
Linux-x86_64 (260.19.36) is complete.
-> Searching for conflicting X files:
ERROR: Unable to open '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so' for reading
(No such file or directory)
-> done.

The installation completes and the driver works. Any idea what these errors mean and how I can correct/get rid of them?

Licaon 03-02-11 03:22 AM

Re: Error messages when installing the driver on Linux Mint Debian x64

if it works don't worry ;)(nana2)

cdysthe 03-02-11 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Licaon (Post 2399144)
if it works don't worry ;)(nana2)

Well I do not really worry that much, but I've been around Linux for so long I know error messages may seem innocent until an "oh shi*" happnens, so I always try to figure out what's wrong. I have never had any error messages with the nvidia driver installer in the past, so something updated on LMDE causes the nvidia installer to spit out these messages! :)

Licaon 03-02-11 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdysthe (Post 2399213)
Well I do not really worry that much, but I've been around Linux for so long I know error messages may seem innocent until an "oh shi*" happnens, so I always try to figure out what's wrong. I have never had any error messages with the nvidia driver installer in the past, so something updated on LMDE causes the nvidia installer to spit out these messages! :)

that lib is provided by xorg-core and the nVidia driver just check it out before replacing it, so not finding it in the first place is not a problem

i usually rmmod nvidia ; nvidia-uninstall.sh ; apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-core before re-installing on a kernel upgrade or before upgrading the nVidia driver so that it sees a clean state system ;)