nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   VERY common mistake by people here: nV doesn't have a 12 month cycle (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1602)

Uttar 09-07-02 03:06 AM

VERY common mistake by people here: nV doesn't have a 12 month cycle

Hello everyone,

I've seen nearly everyone on this forum make this same mistake: thinking nVidia releases a fully new product every 12 months. That is not correct.

nVidia schedule is releasing a total new product every *18* months.

nVidia wanted to release the GF3 in end 2000 as everyone know i think, but due to delays, they released it in beginning 2001.

So... Original Product: 1st Half 2001. 1st Refresh: 2nd Half 2001. 2nd Refresh: 1st Half 2002. New product: 2nd Half 2002.

That's the CORRECT nVidia product schedule.

And i really doubt they want to do the same delay TWICE. But who knows. That's not the point of this post.

Uttar

StealthHawk 09-07-02 05:16 AM

yes, it is very disappointing that nvidia has fallen to a 18 month cycle between new architectures.

that being said, now that ATI is finally on the ball it seems, let's hope this encourages nvidia to stop feeding us garbage "refreshes" and get back to a 12 month cycle.

edit: upon further study, Uttar is completely correct about the 18 month cycle. i retract my first "paragraph."

Uttar 09-07-02 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by StealthHawk
yes, it is very disappointing that nvidia has fallen to a 18 month cycle between new architectures.

that being said, now that ATI is finally on the ball it seems, let's hope this encourages nvidia to stop feeding us garbage "refreshes" and get back to a 12 month cycle.

Err, that isn't quite my point.

nVidia ALWAYS was on a 18 month cycle. However, for the GF3, it took 24 months between new products instead of 18 months.

18 months is pretty much fine, since it's not really possible to make MS update DX more often than that...

Uttar

sbp 09-07-02 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Uttar

Err, that isn't quite my point.

nVidia ALWAYS was on a 18 month cycle. However, for the GF3, it took 24 months between new products instead of 18 months.

18 months is pretty much fine, since it's not really possible to make MS update DX more often than that...

Uttar

It is-what about the Riva128 and TNT series?The Riva 128 first came out in Sept. 1997 anf it was 2 years later the GeForce came out in Sept. 1999.

Bigus Dickus 09-07-02 10:38 AM

I've gone through the announcement and release dates of all NVIDIA products since the TNT, and they are on approximately an 11 to 12 months cycle between new cores (NV15/NV20, NV20/NV25, etc.) with a refresh stuck somewhere in between, varying from 4 to 8 months (NV16, NV20-Ti, NV28 etc.). The only real exception was from the GeForce to the GTS, which only took 8 or so months instead of 11.

So, I'm not sure what you are claiming. 18 months is too long between new cores (considering NV15 and NV25 to be different enough to be included as new cores) and it's too short between new DX architectures (NV10, NV20, NV30).

:confused:

Uttar 09-07-02 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bigus Dickus

So, I'm not sure what you are claiming. 18 months is too long between new cores (considering NV15 and NV25 to be different enough to be included as new cores) and it's too short between new DX architectures (NV10, NV20, NV30).

:confused:

It's not too short between new DX architectures. NV actual goal is 18 months between NV10 and NV20 as well as NV20 to NV30.

You don't think i'm right because there was 24 months between NV10 and NV20 - but that's because nVidia got a delay there.

nVidia goal was to have the NV20 out in 2nd Half 2000 and NOT 1st Half 2001.

So now, nVidia is trying to get back on schedule by having the NV30 by 2nd Half 2002 ( 18 months from 1st Half 2001 )

And this time they'll try way harder because else everyone will think their schedule is a 24 month one...

Uttar

sancheuz 09-07-02 11:34 AM

It doesnt really matter, becasue there hasnt been games.... yet..... that are using up the geforce4 or geforce 3 power, that is till ut2k3 and doom 3 and splinter cell comes and deus ex 2 come out.

Matthyahuw 09-07-02 12:15 PM

You're all wrong!

arguing about useless crap...gimme a break, if you like a card, buy it...if not, don't...

Uttar 09-07-02 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sancheuz
It doesnt really matter, becasue there hasnt been games.... yet..... that are using up the geforce4 or geforce 3 power, that is till ut2k3 and doom 3 and splinter cell comes and deus ex 2 come out.
*cough* Morrowind *cough*

You shouldn't even hope for any AA/Aniso in Morrowind with full detail. Morrowind is VERY GPU intensive and i'd love to see a card being able to do 4x AA with it - Morrowind is, IMO, a game where you REALLY see the advantage of AA.

Quote:

Originally posted by Matthyahuw
You're all wrong!

arguing about useless crap...gimme a break, if you like a card, buy it...if not, don't...

What are you talking about? nVidia product cycle is 18 Months, and that's all. If you don't trust me, i can always try to find a link to proof it.

And i still don't understand how this fits in the context - the NV30 isn't released yet.

Uttar

Nv40 09-07-02 12:33 PM

Guys what you need to understand is that NVidia Release cycle was always based on ...

1)the Competitions avaible at the time
2)a new Microsoft DIrect 3d
3)OEM manufacturers

So you cannot release a brand new totally technology until
microsoft release another direct3d .. see ?

Thats why Geforce3 and Radeon2 (direcxt8) have almost same technology , and Nv30 and Radeon9700 (direcx9) too.. see ?

The thing is that While ATi release only a new product every time
Microsoft up the specs in Direct3d ,Nvidia do refresh in between
which believe it or not ,its a good thing for gamers ,because
every new product lower the prices of older ones !!! ;)

Quote:

StealthHawk :yes, it is very disappointing that nvidia has fallen to a 18 month cycle between new architectures.

it could be very disappointing for you ,if you buy every time Nvidia release a minor refresh ,or any single modification .
if you are so dissapointed with Nvidia you can jump the side
of the ATi betatesters and wait with patience for months for new drivers to let you play latest games and enable harware that often ships with broken features . ;)

if you buy the best product for your money by the end of every year or closer +/- ,your experience with Nvidia will be no less that
Quantum alien new technology improvements in speed and quality ..:)

1)Tnt2 ultra
2)Geforce2 gts
3)Geforce3 ti500
4)Nv30 (christmas of 2002) +/-

or

1)Tnt2
2)Geforce1 DDR
3)Geforce2 ultra
4)Geforce4
5)Nv30

Remember that there is 12 months +/- between each one of those .:)
So i dont know why anyone would complain about more than 2x times
increase in performance with more eye candy ,because since Tnt2 this
is what Nvidia have been doing every year .. ;)

sbp 09-07-02 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Matthyahuw
You're all wrong!

Your right. We should be arguing abut which beer is best. http://sbp777.homestead.com/files/beerchug.gif

Sgt. Slaughter 09-07-02 01:07 PM

If you're in the Northwest, nothing beats Black Butte Porter. My all time fav beer