nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Feedback Forum (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Nvidia's stance on criticism (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16052)

Cool Barn 08-06-03 07:53 PM

Nvidia's stance on criticism

I have just finishing reading the (sticky) thread posted by Brian Burke inviting anyone having problems with their GeForceFX cards to bring them along to Nvidia to get it checked out. I also noticed that there was to be no flaming whatsoever, which I can understand as it was not a thread intended for that.

From what I've been led to believe Nvidia employees are not allowed to involve themselves with internet chat boards, whereas ATI employees are.

Who agrees that this is actually to the detriment of Nvidia? I ask this because it seemed to me that just because someone from Nvidia might actually read some of these posts that we were expected to tread on eggshells. I mean no flaming is one thing, but to potentially ban someone because they ask a question which could put Brian in the hot seat seems silly. It's funny really, the majority of the posts on this board lately have tended to be critical of Nvidia and the FX line (quite justifiably much of the time), yet as soon as Brian Burke finally pops his head up it's all pats on the back and "well done on the support Nvidia".

There are some probing questions that people have asked Nvidia lately, and they have either said "no comment" or just spouted PR rhetoric. If a PR team is only allowed to receive praise, and not actually have to answer criticisms, then that gives false impressions to the company involved.

(Pretty cushy job now that I think about it, might have to send my resume to them actually...)

Sazar 08-06-03 07:59 PM

Re: Nvidia's stance on criticism

Quote:

Originally posted by Cool Barn
I have just finishing reading the (sticky) thread posted by Brian Burke inviting anyone having problems with their GeForceFX cards to bring them along to Nvidia to get it checked out. I also noticed that there was to be no flaming whatsoever, which I can understand as it was not a thread intended for that.

From what I've been led to believe Nvidia employees are not allowed to involve themselves with internet chat boards, whereas ATI employees are.

Who agrees that this is actually to the detriment of Nvidia? I ask this because it seemed to me that just because someone from Nvidia might actually read some of these posts that we were expected to tread on eggshells. I mean no flaming is one thing, but to potentially ban someone because they ask a question which could put Brian in the hot seat seems silly. It's funny really, the majority of the posts on this board lately have tended to be critical of Nvidia and the FX line (quite justifiably much of the time), yet as soon as Brian Burke finally pops his head up it's all pats on the back and "well done on the support Nvidia".

There are some probing questions that people have asked Nvidia lately, and they have either said "no comment" or just spouted PR rhetoric. If a PR team is only allowed to receive praise, and not actually have to answer criticisms, then that gives false impressions to the company involved.

(Pretty cushy job now that I think about it, might have to send my resume to them actually...)

you have a valid point...

however consider this...

BB is taking the time to post and get information to help out the consumers here in the thread in question...

if BB chooses to respond to any other concerns in any other thread... its fair game... but to bait and/or flame someone with a pre-meditated motive is not quite going with forum guidelines AFAIk... and would be a bad precedent...

:)

btw.. I Am quite with you concerning the 'wow... look who dropped by... all I said is forgotten" peeps :)

GlowStick 08-06-03 08:03 PM

Um, nvidia employess do help people out with tech support.
In the linux forum people ask for help and Andy M. helps them all.

walkndude 08-06-03 08:05 PM

Yeah next time he "pops in" trying to help card owners we should definitely kick him in the nuts instead...

What does this have to do with nVidia cards again ?

ChrisRay 08-06-03 08:09 PM

Uh where is this thread?

StealthHawk 08-06-03 08:24 PM

Brian started a thread with the intent of trying to solve a problem. Littering it with off topic comments won't help anything.

digitalwanderer 08-06-03 08:29 PM

I concur.

I agree with the mods/admins decision to stomp down hard on anyone making trouble for Brian here when he's looking to help FX owners.

I do wish nVidia would get a bit better on the boards, I really don't understand how they can hope to even pretend to represent a community that they apparently ain't got a clue about. :(

Now, if the people here were just giving nVidia a free hand to say what they wanted and no one was allowed to criticise 'em or challenge what they say then I'd have a problem....but that ain't the case at all here.

Good jobs mods/admins, my apologies for my contribution of crapping in that thread.

indio 08-06-03 08:40 PM

Well I basically through in a compliment because they should be interacting with the community more and we shouldn't go right off the hook and start berating him. Like my Momma always says " You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar". It would be nice to encourage they guy a little so he sticks around , not form a posse to lynch him.

saturnotaku 08-06-03 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by indio
Well I basically through in a compliment because they should be interacting with the community more and we shouldn't go right off the hook and start berating him. Like my Momma always says " You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar". It would be nice to encourage they guy a little so he sticks around , not form a posse to lynch him.
This guy's got the right idea. :nana:

The Baron 08-06-03 09:09 PM

I'm glad he stopped by--hopefully, this will lead to more NVIDIA interaction with the community.

With that said, though, it probably won't happen. The big difference between NVIDIA and ATI is that NVIDIA does not manufacture and sell their own cards, so they are not directly responsible for support. However, since most OEMs just include straight reference drivers with their cards, I don't think it would be a bad idea at all for NVIDIA to start a dialogue of some sort with the community regarding its drivers (and a beta program would be excellent).

saturnotaku 08-06-03 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Baron
(and a beta program would be excellent).
They already have something like this of sorts. Nothing official like ATI has, but I like the way it's done with NVIDIA drivers better anyway. By them not excluding drivers for a certain group of users, more people with different hardware can test them and so forth.

Rollo 08-06-03 10:06 PM

Quote:

I agree with the mods/admins decision to stomp down hard on anyone making trouble for Brian here when he's looking to help FX owners.
To date, I have emailed Brian Burke, Derek Perez, and Carrie Cowan asking them why they had to devalue the 5800 by taking it off their website, and telling the reviewers they have learned from that mistake.

None of them have replied.

I have purchased a TNT1, TNT2, GF SDR, GF2 64MB, GF2 Pro, GF3, GF4 Ti4400, and GF FX5800, all new, all at Best Buy. I've pimped their stuff on many bbs, and I was one of VERY few people defending the 5800. (and still do) I can't be one of their "worst" customers, and I don't even rank a simple reply like,"We're sorry. The decision was made to distance ourselves from that card."

No.

They just sold off their nV30s to the board makers, who sold them to us at premium prices because there hadn't been a nVidia card for a long time, and washed their hands of it.

To me, that customer support is LACKING.

And I STILL think the nV30 is fine, the nV35 stellar.:confused: