nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Black screen when switching to any virtual console (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=160805)

ddozza 03-21-11 04:41 AM

Black screen when switching to any virtual console on VAIO VPCS12L9E with GeForce310M

1 Attachment(s)
I've a Sony Vaio VPCS12L9E with Nvidia GeForce310M with OpenSuse 11.4 64bit.

I'm using lastest Nvidia drivers (x86_64-260.19.44) and when I switch to any of virtual console (ALT-CTRL-Fn) I get black screens.

The console is present because I can login and executing commands (blind login), and by switching ALT-F7 I can return in graphical mode.

I had the same problem also with previous driver versions with OpenSuse 11.3.

I've tried to use vga=normal as boot option in grub and also NVreg_UseVBios=0 as nvidia module parameter but they didn't help.

I've tried to follow this thread useless .

Any suggestion to solve such very annoying issue?

sandipt 03-22-11 09:50 AM

Re: Black screen when switching to any virtual console on VAIO VPCS12L9E with GeForce

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddozza (Post 2408102)

I'm using lastest Nvidia drivers (x86_64-260.19.44) and when I switch to any of virtual console (ALT-CTRL-Fn) I get black screens.

The console is present because I can login and executing commands (blind login), and by switching ALT-F7 I can return in graphical mode.

I've tried to use vga=normal as boot option in grub and also NVreg_UseVBios=0 as nvidia module parameter but they didn't help.

Are you facing same issue with "Nouveau" driver which comes with OS? Please confirm.

ddozza 03-25-11 06:57 AM

Re: Black screen when switching to any virtual console on VAIO VPCS12L9E with GeForce

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandipt (Post 2408587)
Are you facing same issue with "Nouveau" driver which comes with OS? Please confirm.

I cannot confirm. With nouveau virtual consoles run correctly.
Is it a problem related to NVIDIA Drivers?

sandipt 03-25-11 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddozza (Post 2409922)
I cannot confirm. With nouveau virtual consoles run correctly.
Is it a problem related to NVIDIA Drivers?

Not sure may be OS issue as well.

Uninstall nvidia driver, remove file /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf

OR delete following lines from the file that you are using to blacklist nouveau driver and reboot OS.

--
blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
--

If you are facing problem for above steps then install fresh OS and check virtual console working OR not for nouveau driver. After that install nvidia driver and check again.

If issue is reproduced then please attach nvidia-bug-report by running nvidia-bug-report.sh as root.

ddozza 03-28-11 06:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandipt (Post 2409956)
Not sure may be OS issue as well.

Uninstall nvidia driver, remove file /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf

OR delete following lines from the file that you are using to blacklist nouveau driver and reboot OS.

--
blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
--

If you are facing problem for above steps then install fresh OS and check virtual console working OR not for nouveau driver. After that install nvidia driver and check again.

If issue is reproduced then please attach nvidia-bug-report by running nvidia-bug-report.sh as root.

Done. I've removed NVIDIA drivers and I've verified that such problem is not present by using nouveau drivers.
Then I've reinstalled NVIDIA drivers and I've verified the problem is still present.

The only thing I've not done is reinstalling OS. It's necessary?

sandipt 03-30-11 01:45 AM

Re: Black screen when switching to any virtual console

Internally NVIDIA filed bug to track this issue Bug ID: 809412. We will try to reproduce this issue in house and update.

artem 03-30-11 03:38 AM

I once had this problem on my desktop. It turned out text console was run/managed by the embedded Intel GPU, so ... it might be the case for you too. ;)

DarkShadow70 03-30-11 05:02 PM

I've encountered this issue with 2 AGP (7600GT and 7800GS) cards, and nvidia has not even answered to my bug reports (and I've sent 3 or 4) once in 4 years, nor have they fixed this annoying problem. So, their support is crap.

Additionally, Nvidia's driver suffers from memory allocation problems, leaving you with black windows when using compiz or crashing applications using XVideo. A laptop took 2 minutes to resume from hibernation, reason was the nvidia driver while nouveau did it just fine. I'll never buy a nvidia card again.

You might get away with using the nouveau driver though, maybe they do it better.

Good luck.

Lauwenmark78 04-04-11 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddozza (Post 2408102)

This seems to be the exact same problem I have with my Vaio VPCS13V9E, as described there. So far, I haven't found a way to make the VTs to work with X and the nvidia binary driver - as soon as X starts, VTs are blackened until next reboot.

At least you got more lucky than I was - one of NVidia guys answered you, while they never even acknowledged my existence ;).

Lauwenmark78 04-04-11 09:20 PM

Mmm... It looks like I found a way to keep VTs from turning black!

My solution is to load the uvesafb module after the nvidia one, but before starting X. I haven't yet tested with uvesafb compiled in the kernel instead of as a module.

This could work, ddozza - try and tell me if it changed anything!

sandipt 04-05-11 08:17 AM

We reproduced this issue in house. NVIDIA will updates you once its got fixed.

pete4nv 05-18-11 04:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
There are other posts on this and similar models. I have had this issue with this computer.

Sony VPCF 1290X with nVidia 310M 512MB.

Current kernel: 2.6.38.6
nVidia Driver: 270.41.06

noiveau driver permits vt switching fine as does x-supplied nv driver.

I tried loading uvesafb after nvidia driver, no go. Attached are nvidia-bug-report and lshw.